One way of making decisions?

creed

I guess this quote is enough to support  a "gut" decision. "Think" and "concerned" are not warm and fuzzy terms for making human life decisions. Very poor messaging.

“I think they have the capacity to sustain the government,” Biden said, adding negotiations with the Taliban – currently stalled – would likely have to resume. “I am concerned they deal with the internal issues they have to generate the kind of support they need.”

Edited by creed

We will be losing our strategic position to the Taliban. I wonder what will be the blowback this time? Will China and Russia form alliances with the Taliban and other ethic/religious sects.

• Haha 1

Just now, creed said:

I guess this quote is enough to support  a "gut" decision. "Think" and "concerned" are not warm and fuzzy terms for making human life decisions. Very poor messaging.

“I think they have the capacity to sustain the government,” Biden said, adding negotiations with the Taliban – currently stalled – would likely have to resume. “I am concerned they deal with the internal issues they have to generate the kind of support they need.”

What it boils down to is that things in Afghanistan will change only when the Afghan people want there to be real change. I'm not speaking of 15%, but the majority of the Afghan people must be willing to stand up to extremism.  I'm not confident that we will ever see that happen, based on their history.  Nobody has been able to civilize the place.  Not the Brits, not the Russians, and not the U.S.  It is time to stop spending U.S. taxpayer money, and more importantly the lives of U.S. troops,  to prop up the government that we more or less installed. 

If 20 years isn't long enough, I have to conclude that there is no time in the future that we can look to and see magical success.

• Like 2

With some additional research this plan to reduce forces in Afghanistan is a Trump initiated policy. So if it goes south at least we have a starting point when debating. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Bottomfeeder said:

We will be losing our strategic position to the Taliban. I wonder what will be the blowback this time? Will China and Russia form alliances with the Taliban and other ethic/religious sects.

Look to history on this concern.

My major concern at this point - other than the fate of Afghan women in general - is to help the thousands of Afghani's that directly aided our troops by getting them out.

Otherwise, AU9377 is correct.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

My major concern at this point - other than the fate of Afghan women in general - is to help the thousands of Afghani's that directly aided our troops by getting them out.

Otherwise, AU9377 is correct.

I agree

• Like 1

More communism.

Well, here you go: https://rumble.com/vjgknn-what-are-chinas-plans-for-afghanistan.html

Rumble  Host Carl Higbie joins us live to give us his take of not only our troops leaving Afghanistan but of China making a deal with the Afghan government, Which will lead to the construction of Highways and roads between the two countries.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bottomfeeder said:

More communism.

Well, here you go: https://rumble.com/vjgknn-what-are-chinas-plans-for-afghanistan.html

Rumble  Host Carl Higbie joins us live to give us his take of not only our troops leaving Afghanistan but of China making a deal with the Afghan government, Which will lead to the construction of Highways and roads between the two countries.

oh no! NOT HIGHWAYS!

20 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

oh no! NOT HIGHWAYS!

You're dismissing this casually, but investment ($$$$) has always been a method of how an outside country/government partners with a host country. Who knows all the hi-level conditions the partner and host country agree to for the $$$$. 

• Haha 1

Just now, creed said:

You're dismissing this casually, but investment ($$$$) has always been a method of how an outside country/government partners with a host country. Who knows all the hi-level conditions the partner and host country agree to for the $$$$. 

America's Trillions in  "Investments" in Afghanistan over 20 years have accomplished almost nothing and left the U.S  poorer and weaker, so if China wants to give it a try then so be it. 

28 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

America's Trillions in  "Investments" in Afghanistan over 20 years have accomplished almost nothing and left the U.S  poorer and weaker, so if China wants to give it a try then so be it. 

According to some people's perspective. I believe, strategically, it's a big mistake. I was against the troops on the ground, winning the hearts campaign from the onset. All of that money and nothing but poppy fields for the CIA to show for it.

4 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

A key difference between us and China is that they're not at all concerned with outside perception of how they'll proceed. If there's any dissent from inside China, the rest of the world isn't going to hear about it. This may help them "succeed", and I use that term strictly in a tactical sense, not a moral one, where we and the Soviet Union "failed." 

Nothing good about any of this.

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

That sounds like it's straight out the Trump playbook....lol.

1 hour ago, creed said:

That sounds like it's straight out the Trump playbook....lol.

Paving a way out of Afghanistan was probably the best think Trump did in his 4 years.  

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Paving a way out of Afghanistan was probably the best think Trump did in his 4 years.  

Trump "best think" reminds me of the blind squirrel and nut analogy...lol