Harsin searching for 'clear cut starter' at QB

aubiefifty

11 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

don't be disappointed if it's the other way around and I want you to continue to be the loudest cheerleader as will I.

You're saying TJ/DD will be starting the 1st half and Bo will play the second? 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Based on 1st scrimmage Bo and Finley did some good things and some bad things for Finley to beat out Bo he has to not just match BO but not have the bad things. To be honest I love DD but I didn't think he would even be considered this year. The last scrimmage it seemed like DD did the best however he was not playing against 1st team D.  He may have earned a few snaps with 1st Team O against 1st team D on this upcoming Friday scrimmage if he does get those snaps and does well with them it could make it interesting.  

I think a strong showing of defensive pass rush makes DD’s game appear stronger (out of the pocket throws and QB runs).

DD is definitely talented, but I would be shocked if Harsin went with a true freshman over 2 guys who already have experience in SEC games. IF Harsin wants to do some wildcat stuff, I could see DD in for some kind of package plays. If he winds up starting, it will be because Bo and Finley imploded, IMO.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

I trust Xavier Dampeer's take

You lost me here, thankfully I have a mine of my own to decipher what I hear and see, nothing personal, but we all should want what's best for this team and program. The way Auburn has gone about it's business of doing things is bush league to say the least, why did you leave off TJ? see what I am talking about here.. if BO can prove he is the right QB under this new staff then let's go, but, to continue marching him out there after bad play after bad play after lost here and lost there like year then Harsin is digging his own grave. Keep blaming the o-line all yo want, no QB has a life line of a clean pocket.

5 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

You lost me here, thankfully I have a mine of my own to decipher what I hear and see, nothing personal, but we all should want what's best for this team and program. The way Auburn has gone about it's business of doing things is bush league to say the least, why did you leave off TJ? see what I am talking about here.. if BO can prove he is the right QB under this new staff then let's go, but, to continue marching him out there after bad play after bad play after lost here and lost there like year then Harsin is digging his own grave. Keep blaming the o-line all yo want, no QB has a life line of a clean pocket.

I understand now! I'm happy that you "have a mine"! I think you left TJ out of your post! Why??? My reply was to you and YOUR post below! I guess logic is not the strong part of your "mine"! Maybe you can comprehend that I also left off Grant Loy and all of the other QBs, because I don't give a damn as to whom the best player is, as long as that is the player that is playing! I hope this wasn't too much of a "lost" for your "mine"!   

"I am a big Harsin fan, but shame on him if DD is not going against the one's as well, you are trying to find a #1 QB that you feel good about he has 2 years of tape on Nix he should know by now if Nix is his starter or not, play the best guy......." 

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

Oh wait, you want BO to start and play regardless of who the coach is?? Saban BO will start, Dabo BO will start/ I could go on and on naming other coaches and the sentiment would be the same for some of you, give me a break! I want a coach that will make leadership type decisions not frailing to a fan base or boosters to 1 player to the detriment of the team like we saw last year.

What in gods name are you talking about? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

What in gods name are you talking about? 

That no matter who Auburn head coach is it is to be assume that BO will automatically be the starter.

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

I understand now! I'm happy that you "have a mine"! I think you left TJ out of your post! Why??? My reply was to you and YOUR post below! I guess logic is not the strong part of your "mine"! Maybe you can comprehend that I also left off Grant Loy and all of the other QBs, because I don't give a damn as to whom the best player is, as long as that is the player that is playing! I hope this wasn't too much of a "lost" for your "mine"!   

"I am a big Harsin fan, but shame on him if DD is not going against the one's as well, you are trying to find a #1 QB that you feel good about he has 2 years of tape on Nix he should know by now if Nix is his starter or not, play the best guy......." 

TJ was left off my original statement because it was said that both BO and TJ went against the 1's and DD went against the #3 supposedly?!?! and that was it.. pay attention now, if you are having trouble I can recommend some good supplement to help you out.

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

TJ was left off my original statement because it was said that both BO and TJ went against the 1's and DD went against the #3 supposedly?!?! and that was it.. pay attention now, if you are having trouble I can recommend some good supplement to help you out.

If the supplement is what's helping you, I will "past, if you don't mine"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

my man!

Have a good one! No hard feelings from my side! I'm sure that we want the same results and that's a winning football team and a successful coach! War Eagle! 

46 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Have a good one! No hard feelings from my side! I'm sure that we want the same results and that's a winning football team and a successful coach! War Eagle! 

No Doubt about it lol!! does that sound familiar, trying to post on a cell phone while working is not the best idea, my fingers can't keep up with my mind!!!

I don’t know if DD or TJ has what it takes to start. What I do know is the same mistakes are being made and that is problematic 

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd prefer DD not to start as a freshman. That would be the furthest from ideal

why? is the reason is that somebody has committed not on campus yet, I'll hang up and listen.

18 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

why? is the reason is that somebody has committed not on campus yet, I'll hang up and listen.

There are very very few freshman QBs that are able to start and play well. DD is probably not one of them. Bo shouldn't have started. TJ wasn't ready to start last year at LSU. 

Let the best man win, but if we could actually develop our younger QBs and have a strong pipeline of players, it would be a good thing 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Do you think he should?

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t know if DD or TJ has what it takes to start. What I do know is the same mistakes are being made and that is problematic 

None of us do. we just want them to be given a chance to see if they can earn the spot. I realize with 3 QB's two who have already played at the collegiate level there are not enough reps to give all three an equal opportunity hence the reason you are seeing BO and TJ with the first and second team. I thought that DD might have earned a few reps with 1st and 2nd team but if like some have said he is on the Covid Protocol and will miss Friday scrimmage then no chance early that he can prove himself even though they have indicated he could do some wildcat.  If he does do Wildcat plays I hope he is allowed to pass from Wildcat as having a legit running QB in the wildcat who really has the option to pass and uses it makes the Wildcat even more effective.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I thought that DD might have earned a few reps with 1st and 2nd team but if like some have said he is on the Covid Protocol and will miss Friday scrimmage then no chance early that he can prove himself even though they have indicated he could do some wildcat.

Man it's really frustrating to hear.  If he was vaccinated and exposed, he wouldn't be in any protocol.  If he was vaccinated and it was a breakthrough case, that's just awful luck.  I'm not sure which it is, but from people around campus they are getting hit pretty hard.  20% of one professor I know has their class out w/ covid.  Lots of freshman couldn't complete sorority rush.  EAMC is pretty much overrun with the ICU and from some local business owner friends can't find anywhere to get their employees tested.

Simple exposure could take down a few unvaccinated kids for 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'd prefer DD not to start as a freshman. That would be the furthest from ideal

Nothing against DD, but I definitely want to get away from praying for a Freshman or Transfer QB to come in and 'save us'. One of the worst parts of Malzahn syndrome.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

Nothing against DD, but I definitely want to get away from praying for a Freshman or Transfer QB to come in and 'save us'. One of the worst parts of Malzahn syndrome.

You’d also be ignoring the wealth of success transfer and freshmen QBs have had elsewhere in believing that though. 

2015 natty winner was a transfer, 2017 was a true freshman, 2018 was a true freshman, 2019 was a transfer. Then you got 3 straight transfers from OU finishing top 5 in heisman 

Gus definitely wasn’t alone in desiring those types, although I get that your point was he didn’t always execute with those types 

Anyone reading anything into what Harsin said is just seeing whatever they want to see. Good grief, there's been one scrimmage. Any coach in Harsin's situation isnt going to say something to rule out anyone at this point, nor prop up anyone at this point. It's not coachspeak, it's common sense. We have some serious soothsayers on here apparently.

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I actually think every natty since 2015 has featured a true freshman or transfer, don’t hold me on that though 

That's interesting, for sure. 

I just don't want to only have hope for such a thing. I want to develop our QBs going forward (including DD) such that we feel comfortable with having multiple competent starters. Then, if that great Transfer or Freshman takes over, it'll be more of a special bonus.

As opposed to the previous policy of NOT developing our QBs and saying "oh no, what are we going to do if we don't get a world-beating Transfer or True Freshman?!!"