How will be our redzone offense change under Harsin?

boisnumber1

10 hours ago, woodford said:

Probably the biggest problem with the Gus era was this. Had they scored TD’s more often than FG’s we may have had a couple more 10+ win seasons. 

Last drive of the 1st half of the 2014 IB still has me pizzed.

6 hours ago, Viper said:

Last drive of the 1st half of the 2014 IB still has me pizzed.

After the bomb to Coates? If so yeah we had so much momentum and then it just died. 

Gus' offensive passing game was too heavy on quick WR screens and deep vertical routes. Even intermediate passes like wheel routes required the WR to go deep to pull coverage off of the wheel receiver.

Gus' strongest plays in the Red Zone were zone read option running plays.

Under Gus, a pass to a tight end in the Red Zone usually was a trick play, or a rarely called play.

Gus also seemed to have very few rub routes, and called them rarely.

I think with Harsin we will see more intermediate passes between the hashes, which are critical in the Red Zone. I also expect more rub routes.

I think we will see a lot of two TE sets in the Red Zone, and a lot of pre-snap shifts, and QB reads based on how the defense reacts to those shifts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woodford said:

After the bomb to Coates? If so yeah we had so much momentum and then it just died. 

Yup. Absolutely brutal clock management and play-calling. Should have been an immediate Marshall RPO to his right. Run it in if it’s there. Throw it away if it’s not. 

Gus obviously thought if Coates caught it, it would be in the end zone. He had absolutely no plan if he caught it short of the goal line. Marshall waits and waits and waits for the play call. Just brutal. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yup. Absolutely brutal clock management and play-calling. Should have been an immediate Marshall RPO to his right. Run it in if it’s there. Throw it away if it’s not. 

Gus obviously thought if Coates caught it, it would be in the end zone. He had absolutely no plan if he caught it short of the goal line. Marshall waits and waits and waits for the play call. Just brutal. 

I’m not trying to act like I saw it coming but I do remember that + TAMU game is when I first really questioned Gus’ game decisions. 

I think we see a lot of play action bootleg from under center in the red zone. Using the threat of Tank as a decoy to hold linebackers 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

I’m not trying to act like I saw it coming but I do remember that + TAMU game is when I first really questioned Gus’ game decisions. 

I don’t blame Gus for the A&M loss. Marshall & CAP make a proper exchange and it’s a W.

2014 bammer is def on Gus.

The bowl game against Wisconsin was another major flub. Marshall’s final play of his career is a throwback screen to the short side of the field by Uzomah. Really Gus?

Edited by Viper

5 hours ago, meh130 said:

Gus also seemed to have very few rub routes, and called them rarely.

This always othered me.  Everyone uses these liberally and successfully. The refs almost never call it.  Just stupid not to use. 

17 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

This always othered me.  Everyone uses these liberally and successfully. The refs almost never call it.  Just stupid not to use. 

There's a laundry list of plays "everyone" uses successfully that Gus never embraced. mind boggling

On 8/19/2021 at 10:47 AM, boisnumber1 said:

Anyone one with football knowledge or Bobo/Harsin insight on this, what do you think will change? This was always a problem for Gus - score from outside the redzone or kick a FG seemed to be the case often. Without big TD plays we were doomed many games.

Just go watch his Boise State teams and how they attack the red zone

We haven't done that in over ten years

A lot of good thoughts. As part of the arsenal, I'd like to see a quick slot guy or two emerge. A Ryan Davis clone (please). He was terrific in 2017 with the short crosses and quick passes in the flat. He and Stidham repeatedly burned uga and bammer in 2017 on crucial downs.