For Bo Nix, Is this the year?

WFE12

For Bo Nix, is this the year?

Justin Lee

Bo Nix knows his place in Auburn football history.

He knows he stands at a crucial crossroads after a coaching change. He knows every coaching era is a different chapter in the program’s story — and he knows there’s good and bad. There are championships and there are dark days.

I go back to a story Kenny Dillingham told us when he first got to Auburn, back at the start of his short stint on staff in 2019. He said coaches and players were spending dinner together, maybe at Gus Malzahn’s house, and as everyone laughed together and broke bread, Dillingham was off to the side perusing through a book on Auburn football history. Dillingham was new here and he probably couldn’t have told you the difference yet between Shug Jordan and Doug Barfield.

But as he flipped through that book, Bo was pretty much telling him what was on the next page before he got to it.

Bo is more like you in that way. He reads up on Auburn football just like you’re reading this column. He spent plenty of Saturday nights growing up screaming in Jordan-Hare Stadium just like you might have been against Akron.

Dillingham was an outsider. Nix is part of the family.

I tell you that story to tell you this one: Nix completed his first 11 passes on Saturday night, going for 190 yards and three touchdowns before a pass even fell to turf. He finished with 275 on 20-of-22 passing and in a new system with new coaches, and looked a lot like the five-star player he was supposed to be coming out of high school. The talk around Nix, buzzing around the Auburn fanbase ever since his first start as a true freshman, took yet another turn.

But Bo is on a bigger mission.

Auburn football is bigger than one player. Auburn football is bigger than one coach. Auburn football is bigger than Bo Nix, and Auburn football is bigger than Bryan Harsin.

My cheeky headline comes from a running joke on Twitter. Someone, somewhere, posted a tweet in the preseason saying that “this is the year” for Nix — that Nix would turn a corner. Fans found some humor in the corny optimism, and the use of clichés, and now the gag is to copy and paste the text and spam it in replies to posts about Nix.

If you haven’t seen it, it is: “This is the year. Bo Nix has improved so much under this new offense. He’s focused. He’s having fun. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a dark horse for the Heisman.”

It is his year.

But it isn’t because of how he throws or how his game changes under Harsin and Mike Bobo.

It’s because he’s the bridge between eras, at a pivotal point in Auburn football history. Every player on this roster is a part of that, but Nix is the second-generation star willing to wear it on his sleeves — right next to the wide orange stripe.

When he signed with his dad’s school after winning championships at Pinson Valley, he didn’t see Auburn football’s history twisting and turning in this way. He didn’t think Malzahn would get fired. That wasn’t how it was supposed to go.

But he committed to Auburn knowing that Auburn is bigger than a coach. He committed to Auburn knowing orange and blue ran through his veins before Malzahn got here, and he knows that he’ll be back to watch games in years and years when he’s older, long after Harsin is gone.

Like I said, he’s kind of like you in that way. No matter how many years old you are — or how many years young — Auburn men and women understand. We saw them back in full force on Saturday as tailgating opened up on campus, alumni and fans from all over back on the Plains they call home again.

This is Bo’s year. But not for the reason you’d think. And as he goes through ups and downs all season, there’s a bigger mission that he’s on.

For once, Nix doesn’t know what’s on the next page on the next chapter in Auburn football history.

But he’s going to be a part of what’s written — and he owns that every time he puts on the uniform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 4

I’ve always felt this way about Bo even when others came down on him, sometimes rightfully so, that he is giving Auburn his best every play and every practice. I hope he achieves every goal he has set for his time at AU. I also would love nothing more for him than to actually win the Heisman Trophy and make that meme a reality. 
War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 6

So many pieces of the puzzle outside his control must fall into place for it to be "the year." And in that context, it is perhaps an unfair expectation. Nix stepping under center for the first time already had myriad challenges beyond his making and beyond his control. The ghosts of every "year that never was" are heaped onto the shoulders of every quarterback to ever take a snap wearing Burnt Orange and Navy Blue. No other position has these expectations and the accompanying scrutiny, not even highly regarded running backs. Perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime talent like the other Bo. Sure, the potential payoff is big, but at what price? We, as a fan base, often forget in our well-intenioned fanatic fervor, that these young men are often of insufficient emotional maturity to handle the expectations of a starting quarterback in the SEC. Most other young men of a similar age never have expectations of such consequence and high pressure, and still many of those are often afforded do-overs, second chances and mulligans in everyday life. Is this the year? Only time will tell.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

So many pieces of the puzzle outside his control must fall into place for it to be "the year." And in that context, it is perhaps an unfair expectation. Nix stepping under center for the first time already had myriad challenges beyond his making and beyond his control. The ghosts of every "year that never was" are heaped onto the shoulders of every quarterback to ever take a snap wearing Burnt Orange and Navy Blue. No other position has these expectations and the accompanying scrutiny, not even highly regarded running backs. Perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime talent like the other Bo. Sure, the potential payoff is big, but at what price? We, as a fan base, often forget in our well-intenioned fanatic fervor, that these young men are often of insufficient emotional maturity to handle the expectations of a starting quarterback in the SEC. Most other young men of a similar age never have expectations of such consequence and high pressure, and still many of those are often afforded do-overs, second chances and mulligans in everyday life. Is this the year? Only time will tell.

I would imagine there is added pressure having NIL endorsement. There is pressure from coaches, fans, and now individual corporate sponsors.  Remembering what my maturity level was at that age and with a fraction of the stressors. Hopefully, they have a good support system and mentors. 

IMO there are two thought processes on NIx.  1. He was over hyped 2. Gus not only doesn't know how to develop QBs but he makes them worse.

Personally, I am with the second group, but I have friends that are in group one.  We have all scene flashes of greatness from Nix.  Which is probably why it has been so frustrating.

• Like 2

coaching is everything. you can destroy a kids confidence doing the same ol stupid stuff. we know now maybe bo did not get the coaching he needed? maybe he needed more time to jell. regardless of your viewpoint he has improved. i sure am glad he believed in himself when others did not. let me say this again. i sure am glad he believed in himself when others did not. this is not to say he will not struggle some or have a rough game but right now he is looking much better. now he has a good chance to step out of his fathers shadow and make his own noise. and we have seen glances. and if he continues to improve and comes back for another year? with all the stuff to worry about in this day in time auburn football should not be another worry like the last year.

• Like 1

I think the story is going to be Bobo in about 4 months...and I am thankful we have him.   Maybe Harsin can keep Bobo and Mason for a long time...like Venables and Sweeny.  

I don't think this is Bo's year. I think this is the year Bo learns how to be a QB. IMO, next year should be an amazing year for him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't think this is Bo's year. I think this is the year Bo learns how to be a QB. IMO, next year should be an amazing year for him.

I do not know if this is his year or if any year will be his year ..I am just excited for the competent coaching we have. Everyone was just better… if nix can continue to progress and the OL can hold up and continue to get better.. he can have a big year.. the key is how nix will react to pressure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I think the story is going to be Bobo in about 4 months...and I am thankful we have him.   Maybe Harsin can keep Bobo and Mason for a long time...like Venables and Sweeny.  

It's hard to keep up with the revolving door of assistants and staff in college football. I am not certain but it might be a rare feat to not only keep a high quality player for 4 years but also keep high quality assistants for the same length. At least it seems that way. 

• Like 1