O-Line - What current player do you expect to be a starter next year?

AuburnNTexas

I see Irvin moving from guard to Center as being a starter. I see Jones starting at one guard spot. We have two freshman that I liked when we signed them last year Colby Smith who has the size to be an OT if he has developed enough this year and Langlo if he has put on more mass could be a Swiss army knife type playing multiple positions both are in the 6'7" to 6'8" height range.  Zierer has looked good as a pass blocker every time he has played if Troxell is out for a while we get to see if he really could be an SEC OT. Coffee has great technique when he has played with quick feet to stop the speed rushers but unless he puts on mass I can't see him stopping the bull rushers and not sure if he can run Block. Jones, Jernigan, Johnson I have not seen enough of to know if they have the potential to be SEC starters.

I think Irvin and Jones at Center and guard gives us 2 of the three key interior O-Line I am not sure if we have a second guard from this bunch also backup. At OT I would like to see Zierer play out the rest of the year to see if we do have a legitimate SEC OT for next year.  I really think after this redshirt year Colby Smith could be our RT.

The reality is possibly only 1 or 2 of these players will be talented enough or developed enough to be starters next year. We have 2 Freshman coming in for next year neither who would be ready to start as freshman unless Bobo could play center which would be a stretch. Hopefully we get at least 2 more O-Line in next years class for long term depth. So at a minimum we need one OT in transfer Portal who could start and a second who could start or backup up and at least two interior linemen who could start or backup.

I have to admit while O-line play was not what I wanted so far this year I do believe they were developed and improved over what they were last year. If the two freshman have been developing under these coaches and Zierer proves to be a legit SEC OT we will have potential to have a decent starting 5 from existing players but I would feel much better if we can pull in some studs from the portal.

I want to see how Smith and Langlo have developed in spring practice this year.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It’s possible those guys don’t go to Auburn right now.

You talking about Bobo and Harris? If so, what are you hearing?

21 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

You talking about Bobo and Harris? If so, what are you hearing?

I took it to mean that Win4AU meant that it's possible that our starting O-line for '22 are not at Auburn right now. I could be mistaken. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It’s possible those guys don’t go to Auburn right now.

Let’s hope so. OP makes good points but I really hope we can wrangle in some transfers in the portal. Auburn can mask a lot of deficiencies with an improved OL unit.

It’s the Achilles heel of this team. It’s why Bo has been running for his life in games. It’s why they nearly lost to Ga State. It’s why they lost to Penn State, TAMU, and MSU.  Bo has his issues, but a healthy run game will make them seem so much more insignificant. Better rushing attack allows you to run the clock out against MSU. It would allow you to score a TD or two against TAMU and win. It’s absolutely maddening. 

We’re stuck in a Gus purgatory until the OL is overhauled and is built to allow running backs to flourish. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I'm not sure there is a player on the roster besides Jones that I have any confidence in starting.  Zierer/Coffey, who knows.  Better hope 1 of them works.  That's 3 spots we probably need to fill. Maybe 2 if we think we have another G/C and we can bring in a tackle/IOL.

Next year seems scary right now.  Need these kids in for spring

All of the seniors have an opportunity to come back and take advantage of their extra (Covid) year, but I don’t know if they will. It’s been mentioned on the board that the coaching staff has expressed interest in bringing back Bro Hamm.

I personally wish they would move Hamm to Guard and hit the portal for OT’s. Zierer has looked good to me in pass protection, but I’m not sure about run blocking.

Go look at the 2017 starting line and then go look at the 2018-21 lines. Outside of a couple guys, yikes. Big drop off. OP, I will be surprised if Irvin is the center. If he couldn't beat out Brahms the last two years then yikes. Colby Smith and Langlo are promising but I bet they need one more year.

I really like Coffey but he has disappeared. They put Zierer at RT against A&M when Hamm was out for a few drives. Would be surprised if he is more than a depth piece

I think Jones and Zierer are the only two I feel confident about starting. Probably go grab a center and a tackle in the portal. That leaves a battle for LG. Probably a battle between Tate Johnson and Stutts maybe? Pretty depressing

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I took it to mean that Win4AU meant that it's possible that our starting O-line for '22 are not at Auburn right now. I could be mistaken. 

This is correct.  Talking heads seem to think the Portal is going to be wide open this off-season.  You may see a freshman or two starting.  I think TaMu had a tackle and a center start as true freshmen this year.  Probably going to be some growing pains but it’ll be the foundation of a better line in 2023 and so on.  

• Thanks 1

I've been saying it for a minute but we need to beg some of these kids to use that additional COVID year on the Offensive Line.

It has felt like Zierer couldn't possibly be worse than Hamm.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I've been saying it for a minute but we need to beg some of these kids to use that additional COVID year on the Offensive Line.

Can always be worse.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zierer was impressive vs Arky and the MSU game announcers singled him out last week when he went in. He’s much more agile and athletic than what we have now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoever starts next year, I hope they have a serious mean and aggressive streak. It’s frightening to watch an AU replay and pay attention to how many plays at least one of our O linemen will not engage a single defender and it looks like they’re trying to avoid contact. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zierer has one game as a starter at Left OT and was in last game after Troxell got hurt. He seems to handle the speed rush better than Hamm. I have not seen enough of him on run blocking to have an opinion. Run blocking is normally where Hamm is the strongest which is why I always thought he should be IOL.

As I said in the initial post I am really interested to see how Smith and Langlo have developed. Smith had the physical measurables from day he arrived on campus at 6'8" 320 pounds and from HS film a mean streak. Langlo had the frame to develop at 6'7" 275 pounds and looked quick in the film I saw from HS. Langlo was recurited by some teams as an OT and some as an IOL with extra mass he could play either but I think we were looking for him as IOL originally but with new staff who knows.

I think Smith has potential to be able to play as a Redshirt Freshman Langlo probably needs two years. These are my opinions based on the HS film I saw I have no idea how they have developed this year.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

we need to beg some of these kids to use that additional COVID year on the Offensive Line

Just have to disagree here. I don't want to see a single senior O-lineman in an Auburn uniform again. Move on and develop the future.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Just have to disagree here. I don't want to see a single senior O-lineman in an Auburn uniform again. Move on and develop the future.

Yep, pull off the band aid and let it bleed out.  The coaches have to plan for the future with a fresh set of linemen, stronger, tougher, meaner guys.  IF any of them stay another year, it just retards growth and valuable PT needed for the replacements to build up the line in the future. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I understand this idea but I'm not looking forward to the brainlet fans on here crying when we're worse next year because we're breaking in 5 new starters on the OL lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Yep, pull off the band aid and let it bleed out.  The coaches have to plan for the future with a fresh set of linemen, stronger, tougher, meaner guys.  IF any of them stay another year, it just retards growth and valuable PT needed for the replacements to build up the line in the future. 

Not trying to argue, but if the newcomers can't beat out the vets in practice, we could be in for a year we would rather forget now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hoping for the best. Happy early Thanksgiving to you and yours. WDE

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AU North said:

Not trying to argue, but if the newcomers can't beat out the vets in practice, we could be in for a year we would rather forget now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hoping for the best. Happy early Thanksgiving to you and yours. WDE

Two of the newcomers are Smith and Langlo as true Freshman they probably weren't ready but by next  year one or both might be.  That said when I started this Topic I emphasized we would both need more HS players and Transfer Portal players as of our underclassman one is a starter Jones and another Irvin might be an answer at Center and most of the others I don't know enough about that is why I hope to see more of Zierer if Troxell is hurt as he has potential.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, Zeek said:

Reading the article today I bet our center stays another year.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I couldn't agree more.

• Thanks 1

It’s hard to say if each individual is doing poor job just because they are poor as a group.  I would love to see the individual grades from the A&M game.  

9 hours ago, keesler said:

You know when you “bleed out” your dead right?  I’m hoping our center comes back at least and any more coaches want to ask back.

Nick Brahms is considering returning. Doesn't really mean anything yet; he is the first player I have heard mentioning the possibility of utilizing that COVID-year.