Portal, NIL, NCAA, how does all this work now?

gabo4au

I haven't kept up very well with all this stuff, so now I have a lot of questions. Some of it was a "1 year" thing for covid and some of it just plain changed. So I'm not very clear on the details of how all this works now.

Portal - Exactly how does this work? If a player enters the portal, is it basically like he's recruited again? Where any team can offer him, but he can also turn down or pick where he wants to go? Does he have to sit out a year, or he eligible the next year? Can he enter the portal, turn down all the offers, and stay at his current school? 

NIL - I know the basic premise is to allow players to "sell" their name, image, likeness. But what are the rules? Can a "rich guy" just say, "I'll pay you $1million for your picture if you go to my school?" And what about players at other schools? Can someone go to a QB at another school and say "enter the portal and transfer to our school and I'll pay you $1million for your picture?"

NCAA - Does the NCAA still have rules and are they enforcing them? It used to be that you couldn't take a player out and pay for his lunch, but even if that still exists is there anyone watching or anyone who cares? I guess the big question, can/will the NCAA put anyone on probation for anything any more? If there are no rules or if there are rules but no enforcement, then does the NIL even matter?

It seems to me the portal is sort of like every player is a "free agent" every year. They haven't signed any contracts and are free to go wherever they want. And the NIL means any other team can offer them anything to come play for them, again with no contracts. Just seems sort of out of control to me, even more out of control than pro football where there are contracts, salary caps, franchise players, etc.

Surely I'm missing something.

5 hours ago, gabo4au said:

It seems to me the portal is sort of like every player is a "free agent" every year.

Correct.

A player who enters the portal may stay at his current school, but most head coaches tell them to hit the road.

Every player gets one transfer without having to sit a year. Any subsequent transfers, he has to sit.

It's not permissible to mention NIL benefits to a prospect. After he signs, the gates are then open.

None of the above are related to Covid. This is the "new" college football. Like it or leave it. It will take most of us a few years to decide of we can live with this new setup or not. I see it as simply a "rich get richer" setup, but I'm giving it a few years.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's not permissible to mention NIL benefits to a prospect. After he signs, the gates are then open.

None of the above are related to Covid. This is the "new" college football. Like it or leave it. It will take most of us a few years to decide of we can live with this new setup or not. I see it as simply a "rich get richer" setup, but I'm giving it a few years.

As Shug used to say, You're so right, Carl!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

A player who enters the portal may stay at his current school, but most head coaches tell them to hit the road.

Every player gets one transfer without having to sit a year. Any subsequent transfers, he has to sit.

I see it as simply a "rich get richer" setup.

Ok, so one transfer without sitting out, that's something I did not know.  Maybe that changes how important a "top recruiting class" is if you can specialize in stealing players that are already proven.

Ah, so at least you can't go to a player and say "transfer or sign and I'll pay you this much" or at least not legally. Is the NCAA policing any of this?

Thanks for that info. I was hoping this thread would start a good conversation to educate us on the "new era rules." 

Maybe the "rich get richer," but maybe some of the rich in money, but not rich in FB places rise up while other rich in FB, but not rich in money places move down. I don't know.

Also, can a coach remain in contact with players, even players at other schools? I could see it beneficial for a coach to send out lots of TXTs to players at other schools complimenting them on their play, potential, etc. Just in case they ever showed up in the portal. Seems a "new age social media" coach could have advantages.

Edited by gabo4au

1 hour ago, gabo4au said:

Also, can a coach remain in contact with players, even players at other schools? I could see it beneficial for a coach to send out lots of TXTs to players at other schools complimenting them on their play, potential, etc. Just in case they ever showed up in the portal. Seems a "new age social media" coach could have advantages.

Coaches are not supposed to contact players who are at another school before they enter the portal. After they enter the portal, it's wide open.

How this is policed, or if it's even possible to police it I don't know. Any Joe Fan could sit next to a player at some fast food joint and casually say: "Hey, bammer will guarantee that you will be able to sell 100 pictures a year at $5,000 a picture. Better enter the portal and sign with them." How can that be controlled?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Coaches are not supposed to contact players who are at another school before they enter the portal. After they enter the portal, it's wide open.

How this is policed, or if it's even possible to police it I don't know. Any Joe Fan could sit next to a player at some fast food joint and casually say: "Hey, bammer will guarantee that you will be able to sell 100 pictures a year at $5,000 a picture. Better enter the portal and sign with them." How can that be controlled?

Ah, so a coach can't txt players at other schools unless they have entered the portal. That part could probably be policed fairly well. 

20 minutes ago, AU North said:

Thanks to the OP and to Mikey. Appreciate the info. WDE

Yes, thanks very much to Mikey. There is still a lot to learn about all this, but thanks to Mikey at least I do understand a few things now.  WDE!!

To recap a few things. 

- Players can enter the portal and transfer once without sitting out.

- NIL isn't suppose to be mentioned or discussed prior to actually signing with a school. Although I've already seen reference to places (Miami comes to mind) where alums have stated that everyone that signs with them will get X $'s per month. I guess that not mentioning it to a specific signee is a loophole??

- Coaches, Alumni, etc. aren't allowed to contact players at another school unless they enter the Portal. So you can't contact someone's star QB and say "enter the portal, transfer here, and we'll pay you $$'s"

- None of this is covid related, it's just the new landscape.

- Policing of some of this is difficult. I guess we'll see over time if the NCAA is even trying to.

Edited by gabo4au
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, gabo4au said:

Although I've already seen reference to places (Miami comes to mind) where alums have stated that everyone that signs with them will get X $'s per month. I guess that not mentioning it to a specific signee is a loophole??

The Miami deal was that every scholarship player will get $500 a month. It wasn't worded so that the $500 a month is a signing inducement. Of course it is, but the way this mess is headed, $500 a month is peanuts to a 4 or 5* prospect.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, Mikey said:

The Miami deal was that every scholarship player will get $500 a month. It wasn't worded so that the $500 a month is a signing inducement. Of course it is, but the way this mess is headed, $500 a month is peanuts to a 4 or 5* prospect.

True but that is not counting other NIL deals.