Congratulations to Ron Middleton!

Gowebb11

Big day for former AU tight end Ron Middleton. Acting HC for the Jets got his first NFL win today. Would love to see him coaching at Auburn.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/12/ron-middleton-steps-up-wins-as-acting-head-coach-for-jets.html

New York Jets acting head coach Ron Middleton talks with quarterback Zach Wilson before an NFL game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, Dec. 26, 2021, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.AP Photo/Corey Sipkin

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

In his 25th season as an assistant coach, Ron Middleton got the opportunity to work as the head coach on Sunday, and he guided the New York Jets to a 26-21 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Middleton usually is the Jets’ tight-ends coach. But with head coach Robert Saleh sidelined by COVID-19, Middleton took on the head-coach duties.

MORE NFL:

· SECOND-HALF SURGE PUTS JALEN HURTS, EAGLES IN PLAYOFF POSITION

· SATURDAY NFL ROUNDUP: ANTHONY SCHWARTZ SCORES HIS FIRST NFL TOUCHDOWN

· ‘PLODDING AWAY,’ JOSH HARRIS MAKES THE PRO BOWL

“I thought it was truly, truly a team effort,” Middleton said after New York had won for the fourth time in 15 games this season. “Special teams, offense, defense, I think everybody stepped up. Just a culmination of the week. Everybody being professional, going about their job with all the adversity, and it was an awesome win.”

After the Jets had taken a five-point lead with 1:47 to play, Jacksonville moved 74 yards in nine plays, and it wasn’t until an incompletion on fourth-and-1 at the New York 1-yard line with eight seconds to play that the outcome was settled.

“I can’t imagine what my facial expressions were,” Middleton said of Jacksonville’s final possession. “I thought it was a great game – too good a game.”

New York quarterback Zach Wilson threw for only 102 yards, and his touchdown pass went to offensive tackle Conor McDermott. But the Jets ran for 273 yards, with Wilson finishing with 91 on four carries, a total boosted by a 52-yard touchdown run to start New York’s scoring.

“It was exactly what we’ve gotten from him all year – the passion, the energy,” Wilson said of Middleton. “What he brings to the table, guys respect. He did a great job just stepping up, just doing his thing. It wasn’t forced. He didn’t have to do anything crazy, and we loved the message before the game.”

An Atmore native and Escambia County High School standout, Middleton was an undrafted tight end coming out of Auburn, yet he forged a 10-year career in the NFL. From 1986 through 1995, Middleton played in 118 regular-season games with five teams. He caught 42 passes for 266 yards and three touchdowns.

Middleton also played in nine playoff games and came out of Super Bowl XXVI with a championship ring when the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills 37-24 on Jan. 26, 1992.

On Sunday, Middleton guided the Jets to victory even though 12 players from the active roster were sidelined on reserve/COVID-19, including former AlabamaAll-American Quinnen Williams. New York announced about 90 minutes before the game that the defensive tackle had been pulled.

Some of the players who got on the field against the Jaguars joined the Jets in the past week to help fill New York’s COVID-19 holes.

“I understand these guys who just got here,” Middleton said. “I was in their shoes at one time, being away from your family on holidays, being in a hotel room and just coming out and having to work. I’m glad for those guys to take advantage of their opportunity and to come out of this with a win.

“And again, I think it’s a testament to the players that we have, that were here. They’re professional and just bound and determined to make this thing work, and I think it showed throughout the game play after play after play. And I really appreciate that professionalism from them.”

Middleton’s coaching stops on the way to the Jets included Troy in 1997 and 1998 to begin his career and Alabama in 2007, when he was on Nick Saban’s first Crimson Tide staff.

“I’ve done seminars and symposiums getting you ready to be a head coach,” Middleton said. “My biggest thing I’ve taken from this experience is the people around me -- the PR guys prepping me for these interviews, the head coach’s assistant with notes and having you in the right place at the right time. It’s like a duck – and just bear with me here – it’s like a duck on water. Everything looks real smooth, but under the water, it’s a lot of peddling, if you will, and to me that’s the biggest thing I’ve gotten out of it is the appreciation for those guys behind the scenes to make things look as smooth as they do.”

Edited by Gowebb11
Add text
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

51 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Big day for former AU tight end Ron Middleton. Acting HC for the Jets got his first NFL win today. Would love to see him coaching at Auburn.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/12/ron-middleton-steps-up-wins-as-acting-head-coach-for-jets.html

New York Jets acting head coach Ron Middleton talks with quarterback Zach Wilson before an NFL game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, Dec. 26, 2021, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.AP Photo/Corey Sipkin

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

In his 25th season as an assistant coach, Ron Middleton got the opportunity to work as the head coach on Sunday, and he guided the New York Jets to a 26-21 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Middleton usually is the Jets’ tight-ends coach. But with head coach Robert Saleh sidelined by COVID-19, Middleton took on the head-coach duties.

MORE NFL:

· SECOND-HALF SURGE PUTS JALEN HURTS, EAGLES IN PLAYOFF POSITION

· SATURDAY NFL ROUNDUP: ANTHONY SCHWARTZ SCORES HIS FIRST NFL TOUCHDOWN

· ‘PLODDING AWAY,’ JOSH HARRIS MAKES THE PRO BOWL

“I thought it was truly, truly a team effort,” Middleton said after New York had won for the fourth time in 15 games this season. “Special teams, offense, defense, I think everybody stepped up. Just a culmination of the week. Everybody being professional, going about their job with all the adversity, and it was an awesome win.”

After the Jets had taken a five-point lead with 1:47 to play, Jacksonville moved 74 yards in nine plays, and it wasn’t until an incompletion on fourth-and-1 at the New York 1-yard line with eight seconds to play that the outcome was settled.

“I can’t imagine what my facial expressions were,” Middleton said of Jacksonville’s final possession. “I thought it was a great game – too good a game.”

New York quarterback Zach Wilson threw for only 102 yards, and his touchdown pass went to offensive tackle Conor McDermott. But the Jets ran for 273 yards, with Wilson finishing with 91 on four carries, a total boosted by a 52-yard touchdown run to start New York’s scoring.

“It was exactly what we’ve gotten from him all year – the passion, the energy,” Wilson said of Middleton. “What he brings to the table, guys respect. He did a great job just stepping up, just doing his thing. It wasn’t forced. He didn’t have to do anything crazy, and we loved the message before the game.”

An Atmore native and Escambia County High School standout, Middleton was an undrafted tight end coming out of Auburn, yet he forged a 10-year career in the NFL. From 1986 through 1995, Middleton played in 118 regular-season games with five teams. He caught 42 passes for 266 yards and three touchdowns.

Middleton also played in nine playoff games and came out of Super Bowl XXVI with a championship ring when the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills 37-24 on Jan. 26, 1992.

On Sunday, Middleton guided the Jets to victory even though 12 players from the active roster were sidelined on reserve/COVID-19, including former AlabamaAll-American Quinnen Williams. New York announced about 90 minutes before the game that the defensive tackle had been pulled.

Some of the players who got on the field against the Jaguars joined the Jets in the past week to help fill New York’s COVID-19 holes.

“I understand these guys who just got here,” Middleton said. “I was in their shoes at one time, being away from your family on holidays, being in a hotel room and just coming out and having to work. I’m glad for those guys to take advantage of their opportunity and to come out of this with a win.

“And again, I think it’s a testament to the players that we have, that were here. They’re professional and just bound and determined to make this thing work, and I think it showed throughout the game play after play after play. And I really appreciate that professionalism from them.”

Middleton’s coaching stops on the way to the Jets included Troy in 1997 and 1998 to begin his career and Alabama in 2007, when he was on Nick Saban’s first Crimson Tide staff.

“I’ve done seminars and symposiums getting you ready to be a head coach,” Middleton said. “My biggest thing I’ve taken from this experience is the people around me -- the PR guys prepping me for these interviews, the head coach’s assistant with notes and having you in the right place at the right time. It’s like a duck – and just bear with me here – it’s like a duck on water. Everything looks real smooth, but under the water, it’s a lot of peddling, if you will, and to me that’s the biggest thing I’ve gotten out of it is the appreciation for those guys behind the scenes to make things look as smooth as they do.”

Dye had a great series of tight ends on his teams….

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

And (quoting my own post, lol) a guy that was going to be one of the best ended up in the baseball HOF (Frank Thomas)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yes he did. Ron, Jeff Parks, Walter Reeves, and Fred Baxter to name a few. I had some classes with Ron and he was a great student too. While playing football he was also a member of the Air Force ROTC program. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yes he did. Ron, Jeff Parks, Walter Reeves, and Fred Baxter to name a few. I had some classes with Ron and he was a great student too. While playing football he was also a member of the Air Force ROTC program. 

The unheralded Ed West. 

• Like 1

Congrats to Rich Bisaccia as well!!! Let's not forget him! He was the first former Auburn coach to get a win as a NFL Head Coach AND the most wins as a Head Coach in the NFL that used to coach at Auburn! I will bounce my grand kids on my knee someday and tell them about the legendary tenure of Rich Bisaccia as RB's coach at Auburn University!!! lol. I believe he made a grand total of 1 recruiting visit which was to make a in home with Derrick Green. https://247sports.com/Player/Derrick-Green-12364/high-school-17623/  When me and @fredst used to tailgate together for Flash and Worm's track meet's we would wax poetically about the Rich Bisaccia era at AU! 😂🤣😆 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2013/1/3/Rich_Bisaccia_Joins_Coaching_Staff

https://oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/rich-bisaccia-leaves-for-dallas-cowboys-setting-up-staff-changes-for-auburn-football-coach-gus/article_e3e9bad8-671c-11e2-9f48-001a4bcf6878.html

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Those were good years.  Are you sure Ron wasn't in Navy ROTC?  I remember him in a khaki uniform vs blue.

34 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Those were good years.  Are you sure Ron wasn't in Navy ROTC?  I remember him in a khaki uniform vs blue.

I think you are right...We had K Greene in AROTC and Middelton was NROTC I believe.   Now I am not sure he stayed with it and earned a commission.  I don't believe he did, but we've all slept since then and I am guessing.   Kevin was an Armor Officer (tanks) and his brother flew copters.   Kevin's year group in ROTC had some characters and Kevin was in the thick of it.   He would have been a great coach in some capacity for Auburn. 

I wonder if Middleton might find his way back to Auburn in some capacity.  

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think you are right...We had K Greene in AROTC and Middelton was NROTC I believe.   Now I am not sure he stayed with it and earned a commission.  I don't believe he did, but we've all slept since then and I am guessing.   Kevin was an Armor Officer (tanks) and his brother flew copters.   Kevin's year group in ROTC had some characters and Kevin was in the thick of it.   He would have been a great coach in some capacity for Auburn. 

I wonder if Middleton might find his way back to Auburn in some capacity.  

I never knew this about KG.   It just adds to his legend.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1