Men vs UF Game Thread

Maverick.AU

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wish Kessler would develop some offensive moves like Castleton.  

I was thinking the same thing this whole game. Wish he would develop the confidence to shoot like he does. I got no doubt he can hook shot all day if he wanted to. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, difball said:

I'm with ya on the turnovers - but they are kids, it's early in the season and I'm sure Bruce is starting to give it to them on the turnovers

I think so too. Alot of the turnovers are not “forced” but rather just careless. Auburn plays so fast that sometimes it’s too fast. However if they perfect these bounce passes they like so much… look out! Lolol

Learned a lot about the team tonight. Florida was relentless in their attack, we had foul trouble all game, had to overcome surge after surge including the final minute and still came away with 12 point victory. Florida couldn’t hang with our starting 5 but we had to mix it up all night. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wish Kessler would develop some offensive moves like Castleton.  

He’s shown flashes and will get better and better. Don’t forget that Castleton’s in his 4th season vs Kessler’s 2nd. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

He’s shown flashes and will get better and better. Don’t forget that Castleton’s in his 4th season vs Kessler’s 2nd. 

Just think if Kessler keeps improving at the rate he has this season!! 

We saw a couple of our weaknesses in this one, handling the relentless press every possession and (not just this game) careless passing.  We will get those fixed. 
On to UAT.  You can bet they will be primed after that somewhat embarrassing loss to Mizzou.  We better bring our A game in all phases of the game to come out of Coleman with a W. 
Im surprised there were no comments in here about Jimmy Dykes stating that Jabari will be the #1 lottery pick in the draft.  I wouldn’t be surprised about  top 5 lottery pick, but #1?  Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

I hope a good amount of Auburn fans make it to Tuscaloosa!!

What percentage will they allow for Auburn fans to attend? Doubt there will be a high percentage. They will find a way to pack it with turds.

KD was great.  Glad to see him re-emerge as a real threat to opposing defenses.

Jaylin Williams was very impressive.  He was a big force when he was on the floor.

Kessler was outplayed soundly, by an opposing center who had struggled in previous games.

Our bench was great again.  We may be the deepest team in the country.

Turnovers will kill us on the road if we can't get them under control.  I love Wendell Green, but he needs to work on reducing his turnovers, as do all our point guards.

Tuesday night against Bama will be very interesting.

Edited by MaxCohen216
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Jaylin Williams was very impressive.  He was a big force when he was on the floor.

Kessler was outplayed soundly, by an opposing center who had struggled in previous games.

Turnovers will kill us on the road if we can't get them under control.  I love Wendell Green, but he needs to work on reducing his turnovers, as do all our point guards.

Show me where Castleton has struggled in his previous games. The guy has been Florida's best player this season and it hasn't even been close. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Would love to see this team with Sharife.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Show me where Castleton has struggled in his previous games. The guy has been Florida's best player this season and it hasn't even been close. 

I was kinda repeating something I read from a Florida newspaper about him.  An article I read earlier today.  It said he started strong, but faded against teams with strong post players, but has battled thru injury as well.  But it's an opinion thing anyway, I guess.  I thought Kessler would win that matchup.

51 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

Agree and not only Florida's best player but one of the best in the SEC.   Cas is currently ranked 7th in ppg, 4th in fg%, 2nd in rebounds and 2nd in blocks.  Having 4 years in an SEC strength program has its benefits.

• Like 1

This team is so deep and talented! If we don’t improve I still think we are Final 4 material. I do think we are going to get a lot better. It’s fun to watch and getting better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Agree and not only Florida's best player but one of the best in the SEC.   Cas is currently ranked 7th in ppg, 4th in fg%, 2nd in rebounds and 2nd in blocks.  Having 4 years in an SEC strength program has its benefits.

2, since he was at Michigan for 2 years before transferring, but your point is spot on. I believe he and Tshiebwe from UK will be the only two big men that will really give Kessler fits in SEC play this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

We saw a couple of our weaknesses in this one, handling the relentless press every possession and (not just this game) careless passing.  We will get those fixed. 
On to UAT.  You can bet they will be primed after that somewhat embarrassing loss to Mizzou.  We better bring our A game in all phases of the game to come out of Coleman with a W. 

bama has been very inconsistent.   They have played straight up terrible D at times this year.   If they’re slack at all there, we’ll put a hurting on them.  I also think we have a significant advantage at the 4 and 5.  I expect us to put the ball in the paint a lot, and get some midrange jumpers from Jabari.  
However, I am certain we will get their absolute best on Tuesday.  Let’s go!

2 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Probably referring to the FL loss to Texas Southern, and then the whole team struggled against bammer after the COVID time-out.

FL has 5 losses so far. Delighted we handed them # 5.

21 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

bama has been very inconsistent.   They have played straight up terrible D at times this year.   If they’re slack at all there, we’ll put a hurting on them.  I also think we have a significant advantage at the 4 and 5.  I expect us to put the ball in the paint a lot, and get some midrange jumpers from Jabari.  

You know they will be pumped up and ready to punish and embarrass Auburn.....

6 hours ago, around4ever said:

I wouldn’t be surprised about  top 5 lottery pick, but #1?  Thoughts? 

He's been mocked top 3 all year. I think he's at #2 now and a lot of people think he'll go #1 if he keeps playing like he has. He just has that killer, cold-blooded personality on the court. When you need a shot to kill the other teams momentum, Jabari is gonna hit it.

8 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

And if we thought last night's referees were bad...

On 1/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, BigSammyK said:

2, since he was at Michigan for 2 years before transferring, but your point is spot on. I believe he and Tshiebwe from UK will be the only two big men that will really give Kessler fits in SEC play this season.

Based on that game, Oscar might have our entire front court in trouble. I really think that’s a game you have to consider giving Stretch minutes 

I watched LSU keep him off the boards to the tune of about 3 at halftime, and he still finished with 12 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Based on that game, Oscar might have our entire front court in trouble. I really think that’s a game you have to consider giving Stretch minutes 

I watched LSU keep him off the boards to the tune of about 3 at halftime, and he still finished with 12 

Initially I wasn’t in favor of stretch getting minutes but I think we need to give him 2-3 in each half and have him bang as hard as he can.  Kessler is great but just doesn’t have the muscle.  Castleton was impressive.  I do think Kessler will learn a ton from the film.  

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Initially I wasn’t in favor of stretch getting minutes but I think we need to give him 2-3 in each half and have him bang as hard as he can.  Kessler is great but just doesn’t have the muscle.  Castleton was impressive.  I do think Kessler will learn a ton from the film.  

I'm not in favor of it in general, but there are a few centers that's going to get him in trouble the specific way he likes to contest shots and post defense just isn't Cardwell's thing for the most part