Coach Mason

Proud Tiger

After all the dust has settled from the Harsin fiasco, one thing that has kind of got lost for me is the mystery of the Coach mason move. I would sure like to know why he left for Oklahoma St. at less salary. I Also wonder if the "investigating committee" talked to him.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

After all the dust has settled from the Harsin fiasco, one thing that has kind of got lost for me is the mystery of the Coach mason move. I would sure like to know why he left for Oklahoma St. at less salary. I've heard some things but one lesson I've learned in all this mess is not to post anything that isn't supported by that seemingly obsolete thing called facts.  Anybody know why Mason left besides him?

$400K less salary.  I wish I made his loss, but that's another story.

Giving up $400K after just one year on the job for a lateral move outside the SEC says a lot.  For anyone who is listening.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

After all the dust has settled from the Harsin fiasco, one thing that has kind of got lost for me is the mystery of the Coach mason move. I would sure like to know why he left for Oklahoma St. at less salary. I've heard some things but one lesson I've learned in all this mess is not to post anything that isn't supported by that seemingly obsolete thing called facts.  Anybody know why Mason left besides him?

Something NOBODY is talking about, again referencing the timeline.  Resigned on 1/22...not immediately but four days later on 1/26 he accepted the OSU offer.  If nothing else, it's not a stretch to believe Harsin wasn't going to put up with less than 100% allegiance.  He was pushed and those four days are what cost him the $ half million .....

From Mason (on 1/26) - 

"After meaningful discussions with Coach Gundy these past few weeks about his vision for the program, it became apparent that leading the defense for the Cowboys was the right fit for me," Mason said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the student-athletes, coaches and staff as they continue to build a winning culture of success, inclusion and integrity on and off the field."

I find the last phrase from Mason almost comical, knowing where Gundy goes for his news. 

At the very least, Harsin had probably told him to fish or cut bait.  When he decided to cut bait, the replacement was announced immediately; Harsin (on 1/22) -

"Coach Schmedding was at Coach Mason's side day after day getting our defense prepared and ready. He is a tremendous defensive coach, who has coordinated championship defenses and is a proven winner. I know our defense will take the next steps forward under Coach Schmedding's leadership."

Meanwhile back in Stillwater, on Pokes Report one of their guys not believing anything was done and might not happen (on 1/21) -

"We know that he wanted out at Auburn and that a new DC was coming in at Auburn.

Im sure the Auburn site is tuned in to what is going on at Auburn in terms of coaches but we have the best sources at Oklahoma State and we feel confident that this is not happening in the way it is being reported. Could he becoming DC? Sure, but we don't think its imminent or as far into the process as some are reporting."

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How would anyone know with 100% certainty why he did it? How would you even discover that?

You are absolutely correct and that goes for both sides!

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Why do you think he left?

I don't know for sure but would like to hear it from him. Of course that's not likely now.

Edited by Proud Tiger

5 minutes ago, provibe said:

You are absolutely correct and that goes for both sides!

And that's why I didn't come with the whole "deductive reasoning would dictate he clearly didn't enjoy being here by taking a paycut and living in Stillwater, Oklahoma" or the "he intended on leaving before he even had a job on the table; the job just happened to pop up", because at the end of the day, I wasn't there with Mason. 

BUT...deductive reasoning would dictate

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

And that's why I didn't come with the whole "deductive reasoning would dictate he clearly didn't enjoy being here by taking a paycut and living in Stillwater, Oklahoma" or the "he intended on leaving before he even had a job on the table; the job just happened to pop up", because at the end of the day, I wasn't there with Mason. 

Just like it did with all the other rumors on here 

2 minutes ago, provibe said:

Just like it did with all the other rumors on here 

How many of the rumors of the past week aligned with the reality of how things occurred?

The Mason wanting to leave move was also a rumor on here and outside of here for weeks too. How did that rumor end up? 

• Like 2

Correct me if I’m wrong (good chance) but don’t contract buyouts typically get offset if the coach finds other employment? So in this case he could be getting the exact same amount in the end, with Vandy picking up the difference? I thought I recalled reading here one time about us owing Chiz less when he took up with UNC but can’t recall specifics.

Just one theory that would make the salary difference easier to grasp.  

At this point who cares? While not keeping score…more than a few were screaming for Mason’s head with the bend don’t break defense. Now you want to make him a saint? Time to move on…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand  and it's probably right is this case.  But there was a lot of what some posters might call deductive reasoning said in the long Harsin thread that turned out to be BS.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong (good chance) but don’t contract buyouts typically get offset if the coach finds other employment? So in this case he could be getting the exact same amount in the end, with Vandy picking up the difference? I thought I recalled reading here one time about us owing Chiz less when he took up with UNC but can’t recall specifics.

Mason resigned I believe so we don’t owe him any kind of buyout

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I find the last phrase from Mason almost comical, knowing where Gundy goes for his news. 

So because he doesn't buy into the mainstream media who has been proven to be biased and unreliable at the very least, that means Coach Gundy doesn't run a program with inclusion and integrity? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

But that’s not what you said. You said staid not to accept seemingly obsolete facts and that’s not 90% and nothing less than from him.

If I had any idea what you said I might agree.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong (good chance) but don’t contract buyouts typically get offset if the coach finds other employment?

Assistant coaches contracts usually do, yes. 

Head coaches' contracts typically do not have mitigation offsets anymore.  In the past if you were fired, you were obligated to seek gainful employment at market value in the coaching field and that new salary would be subtracted from the buy-out.  Not so much nowadays.  Gus, for example, was under no contractual obligation to seek future employment.  He could have sat around eating cheetos and watching Netflix all day and would still be owed $20 mil. I think it's this way for coaches at most P5 schools nowadays. Coaches and their agents (ahem Sexton) have all the leverage now.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

If I had any idea what you said I might agree.

Exactly.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I'll accept 90%😀

So I’m confused by your 90% here

90% of what exactly?

You already stated that no one knows why Mason left, other than Mason. So what exactly are you looking for here? An argument?

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

That was the norm a few years ago.    Still is for many agreements.  We are seeing some head coaches get contracts with payouts that aren’t contingent on looking for a job or having an offsetting salary.  Hansin has one and so did Mahlzan. Those deals have guaranteed amounts that decrease each year a coach stays, buy upon leaving early they get a series of large payment. This is how Malzahn’s payout worked.  Auburn gave Malzahn a 7 year, $49 million contract at the end of 2017, with 75 percent of the deal’s value fully guaranteed. At the time of his firing buyout it was down to $21,450,000, half of which was due within 30 days. Auburn made a $10,725,000 payment to Malzahn the month after he was fired, with the remaining money due in four equal annual installments.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So I’m confused by your 90% here

90% of what exactly?

You already stated that no one knows why Mason left, other than Mason. So what exactly are you looking for here? An argument?

No so just stay confused and move on