Ashford closes spring strong

aubiefifty

Oregon transfer Robby Ashford closes spring strong in Auburn QB competition

Nathan King
6-7 minutes

Coach Bryan Harsin Gives His Take On Auburn's Spring Football Game

AUBURN, Alabama — Colby Wooden let out a big sigh and sarcastically rolled his eyes when asked what it's like to play against Robby Ashford.

“You better be able to run," the veteran defensive lineman responded.

Neither offense lit up the scoreboard or stat sheet in Auburn’s 2022 A-Day spring game Saturday afternoon in Jordan-Hare Stadium, but Ashford certainly created the most consistent buzz with the ball in his hands.

The athleticism that his teammates and coaches have raved about since he arrived as a transfer from Oregon was on full display, as he scampered around defenders and made a few impressive throws on the run in his first action in front of the Auburn fanbase.

“It was fun playing against him — especially when he gets out of the pocket,” Wooden said. “He's extremely dangerous with his feet or with his arm. We've got to learn to keep him contained.”

Ashford, the spring game's offensive MVP, finished the team’s final practice and scrimmage completing 12-of-16 passes for 132 yards, including chunk completions of 20, 23 and 27 yards.

“He made great decisions today,” tight end John Samuel Shenker said. “Obviously made a lot of progress through the spring with the new offense. That’s a lot being thrown at him. He’s done well, and we’ll take that into summer as he continues to compete.”

On more than a few rushing attempts, Ashford was tagged down, since the quarterbacks were wearing non-contact jerseys. His rushing total came out to -3 yards due to sacks, but it was apparent that, in a game setting, he wouldn’t have been so easily brought down.

He had a 12-yard scramble, and another for 14 yards that was not counted on the stat sheet, but should have been, since a holding penalty on the play was declined. In the red zone in the first half, Ashford scooted past the defensive line and had an opening for a touchdown before he was tagged down by a linebacker’s outstretched arm.

“You know, a guy swings his arm out there, is that really going to be a sack with Robby?” Bryan Harsin said. “Probably not. He’s very, very athletic, and you guys could see that today.”

A former four-star recruit from Hoover, Alabama, who didn't take a snap in two seasons with the Ducks, Ashford was dealt the more difficult hand in orchestrating the offense Saturday. After running Auburn’s second-team offense throughout spring ball, the transfer did so one last time in the spring game — against the first-team defense. T.J. Finley, meanwhile, was up against the second-team defense on each of his four drives.

On five possessions, the offense under Ashford’s command did not find the end zone, but was close to Finley’s output in terms of yards per play. He only worked with the first-team offense on his last drive, which picked up one first down then punted.

AUBURN YARDS PER PLAY (2022 A-DAY GAME)

• With Finley at QB (four drives against backup defense): 4.60

• With Ashford at QB (five drives against starting defense): 4.39

Even if Ashford doesn’t win the job, Finley suspects his athleticism could still be of use in the offense — maybe in designed run packages.

“He did amazing,” Finley said of Ashford. “Him using his legs is going to be a key factor for us this year. … We might be able to get him in there and do some quarterback draws and things like that, so I can’t wait to see what he brings to the table in the fall.”

Finley started 5-of-7 for 60 yards and a touchdown on the first drive of the scrimmage but cooled off down the stretch, finishing 11-of-19 for 137 yards — though he was hurt by two drops.

“I just feel like I’m in the same situation Bo (Nix) was in last year,” Finley said. “Just going out and proving myself, making sure that I stay on top of my game 24/7, and I’ve been here the longest, and I’m into the playbook more, know my guys’ strengths and weaknesses. I’m more comfortable within the offense. I’m just going out there and playing ball. The competition is going to be the competition, so as long as I take care of my things, I’ll be fine.”

Freshman Holden Geriner had the most explosive performance of the quarterback room, taking advantage of his lone drive by marching the Tigers 80 yards for a score. He got Team Auburn into the end zone by way of a pretty back-shoulder pass to Landen King, though he couldn’t hit King again for the winning 2-point conversion. Geriner, a four-star recruit from the 2022 class, went 9-of-11 for 71 yards on the drive.

"He can play — there's no doubt about it," Harsin said of Geriner.

Auburn now enters an offseason still with plenty of intrigue at the quarterback position — and a wide-open quarterback competition. Harsin said he anticipates the starting battle to rage well into fall camp — when Texas A&M transfer Zach Calzada (shoulder) is able to officially join the mix at QB — and he doesn’t expect that he and his staff will trim down the competition until at least after the first fall scrimmage.

“At some point after that first scrimmage in the fall, we’ve got to hone it down to, ‘Alright, here’s our top guys,’” Harsin said. “Get them more reps, and then make a decision. And when we do, we’ll name a starter — and then that doesn’t mean that other guys won’t have a role somewhere on this team.”

41 minutes ago, alexava said:

This is my guy! I’m not predicting anything. I just think his ceiling is way up there. 

Agree. 

However, I think Geriner's ceiling is higher.  But as a true freshman, he's not yet ready to lead an SEC team.  I think QB1 this year will be Ashford, then Geriner will take over next year and be great before his time at AU is over.  But Ashford may prove tough for Geriner to beat out next year.

I have no confidence in either Finley or Calzada.  I wish most of their reps could go to Ashford and Geriner in the fall.

From what I been reading it seems there is a topic of discussion a guy who knows the playbook vs maybe the person that gives u the best chance to win with the current talent

2 hours ago, e808 said:

From what I been reading it seems there is a topic of discussion a guy who knows the playbook vs maybe the person that gives u the best chance to win with the current talent

You’ve been reading too much from one poster

2 minutes ago, provibe said:

You’ve been reading too much from one poster

Nope this isn’t a one poster issue. It’s a topic of why which QB should start vs another

3 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Agree. 

However, I think Geriner's ceiling is higher.  But as a true freshman, he's not yet ready to lead an SEC team.  I think QB1 this year will be Ashford, then Geriner will take over next year and be great before his time at AU is over.  But Ashford may prove tough for Geriner to beat out next year.

I have no confidence in either Finley or Calzada.  I wish most of their reps could go to Ashford and Geriner in the fall.

TJ or Calzada might give you a better chance earlier. But I don’t see it lasting too long. I’m not counting anything out. I think the coaches know what is best for their contracts, which = wins. I don’t think they are willing to throw a few early games to benefit the future. They don’t have that luxury. 

If Ashford can stand in and go through progressions when his first read is not there, boy we may have gotten a real steal. Looked good and is fun to watch. He has put himself in the thick of it. Hell so has Geriner imo. Harsin says all 4 still have a shot, and judging from Saturday I'd have to believe him. Very tight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1