Media Picks AU Last

AU-24

Just now, AUwent said:

Yeah, I fully expect a 3+6. Just...please, God almighty, give us the Dores.

I wouldn’t be upset at Miss St honestly. That’s a routinely tough game for Auburn, but it’s a lower rung program and one you have history with. Better than just taking an obv patsy like UK or Vandy. But I could understand if Auburn tried to make an argument for those two

UGA, UA and then a minimum of probably 3 of LSU/OU/UTa/Florida/A&M every year, it’s going to be very very difficult for Auburn to have real postseason success based on that (as it would for the other teams), so I hope they think accordingly when it comes to OOC

32 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wouldn’t be upset at Miss St honestly. That’s a routinely tough game for Auburn, but it’s a lower rung program and one you have history with. Better than just taking an obv patsy like UK or Vandy. But I could understand if Auburn tried to make an argument for those two

UGA, UA and then a minimum of probably 3 of LSU/OU/UTa/Florida/A&M every year, it’s going to be very very difficult for Auburn to have real postseason success based on that (as it would for the other teams), so I hope they think accordingly when it comes to OOC

Nah, I'll take the patsy lol. Ross Dellenger has the most fair 3+6 format I've seen:

• Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU
  • Arkansas: Missouri; Texas; Kentucky
  • Auburn: Alabama; Georgia; Vanderbilt
  • Florida: Georgia; South Carolina; Oklahoma
  • Georgia: Auburn; Florida; Kentucky
  • Kentucky: Mississippi State; Arkansas; Georgia
  • LSU: Ole Miss; Texas A&M; Alabama
  • Ole Miss: Mississippi State; LSU; Vanderbilt
  • Mississippi State: Ole Miss; Kentucky; Texas A&M
  • Missouri: Oklahoma; Arkansas; South Carolina
  • Oklahoma: Texas; Missouri; Florida
  • South Carolina: Florida; Missouri; Tennessee
  • Tennessee: Vanderbilt; Alabama; South Carolina
  • Texas: Oklahoma; Texas A&M; Arkansas
  • Texas A&M: LSU; Texas; Mississippi State
  • Vanderbilt: Tennessee; Ole Miss; Auburn

It *does* sound like we're not getting one of the big boys as our third.

Edited by AUwent

I just don’t see how Tenn gets out of playing both UGA and Florida and Florida gets out of playing both LSU and Tenn 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2022/06/03/sec-football-schedule-nine-conference-games-permanent-rivals-expansion/7495883001/

the pursuit of avoiding as many hard teams as possible has led to some wonky notions 

8 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

Here is my prediction, for what it is worth.

I am going with this team over achieving. Backed in a corner with a chip on their shoulder, they win 8 games. With the others being close. They fighting in every game and win the heart of many AU faithful. Harsin gets another year because of the football played on the field. However, his future at AU will be decided on what type of team he can put together next year. They loose to much to make it on coaching alone.

This is the best possible outcome, barring miracles. If Harsin can make an 8-4 lemonade out of the depth/talent level lemon he's got he will and should be retained. With an 8-4 record the recruiting would make a last minute surge upward and that aspect of things would look better too. Couple that with better results in the transfer portal and '24 won't look so bleak.

I'd like this outcome but I wouldn't wager a dime on it happening.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is the best possible outcome, barring miracles. If Harsin can make an 8-4 lemonade out of the depth/talent level lemon he's got he will and should be retained. With an 8-4 record the recruiting would make a last minute surge upward and that aspect of things would look better too. Couple that with better results in the transfer portal and '24 won't look so bleak.

I guess that's a pretty decent question people need to ask themselves though. IF this were to happen how will that shift people's perspective and support of the program? Or will it at all? Could we rock off 9 wins this year and a top 10 recruiting class and people still despise the success because it's not success their way? Probably... but I would hope not! A good season and recruiting class will show a lot about people and fans next offseason. Do some of us want Auburn to thrive or do some of us want Auburn to thrive OUR WAY?

Edited by AUFightingSoldiers
  • Love 1

Good to see some of the naysayers on the board giving examples of how Harsin can be retained. Even saw one saying 2023 not 2022 will be Harsins Waterloo😆

Edited by NWALA Tiger

15 hours ago, AU1947 said:

As a season ticket holder since 1980 and having 16 tickets together this will probably be the last year that TUF and Auburn get my money..... so you all will be able to buy more tickets in a great lower level section!!

Because a 20 year old said something 20 year olds say? 

This hurts now, but imo can benefit us later. The media and rest of the cfb world are expecting Harsin to predictably crash and burn after arguably one of the most adversity filled offseasons in the history of the sport. Hell a lot of our own fans are as well. Hard to blame them. 

However, this also provides Harsin a great opportunity. With no one expecting him to survive, if he does, he'll be hailed practically a hero by them if he does.

Thus, despite the media picking him last, in return, if he wins 9 games, maybe even 8, I bet he gets a ton of media members publicly calling for him to be named NCOY. That would provide him a ton of momentum if he can somehow pull that off.

**PS... anyone else notice how the media has done a 180 on him in a years time? Last year at this event they hated him (vaccine). This year even fricking Joe Goodman wrote that he's pulling for the guy. It's because he's the "fighter" that stood up to the PTB's and won. An underdog who now has all odds stacked against him. The media loves stuff like that. I've already read a few stories this week by national media supporting him and roasting the Auburn boosters

• Love 1

If we finish outside the top 3, I will be flabbergasted. 

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

If we finish outside the top 3, I will be flabbergasted. 

Top three in the SEC West? That puts a lot of deeper, more experienced and more stable situations behind us. Of course, I hope you are correct but the mean ol' world seldom works that way. I did see two blocked punts and a kick six so anything is possible.

5 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I guess that's a pretty decent question people need to ask themselves though. IF this were to happen how will that shift people's perspective and support of the program? Or will it at all? Could we rock off 9 wins this year and a top 10 recruiting class and people still despise the success because it's not success their way? Probably... but I would hope not! A good season and recruiting class will show a lot about people and fans next offseason. Do some of us want Auburn to thrive or do some of us want Auburn to thrive OUR WAY?

I guess that question depends on who you are referring to as "people". The vast majority of Auburn fans will be overjoyed. If you mean big money boosters, I believe the vast majority of them will be overjoyed as well. No, I do not buy the conspiracy theory that some mysterious PTB tried to sabotage a program they have donated big $ to support.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I guess that question depends on who you are referring to as "people". The vast majority of Auburn fans will be overjoyed. If you mean big money boosters, I believe the vast majority of them will be overjoyed as well. No, I do not buy the conspiracy theory that some mysterious PTB tried to sabotage a program they have donated big $ to support.

I don't think we will every know 100% what's going on in the boosters' minds without them outright saying it. But I am 100% convinced that some people wearing orange and blue are more concerned with winning their way than they are winning and the whole thing stems from wanting to say "told ya so". 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, AU1947 said:

As a season ticket holder since 1980 and having 16 tickets together this will probably be the last year that TUF and Auburn get my money..... so you all will be able to buy more tickets in a great lower level section!!

Unfortunately saw this because /ignore doesn't block quotes from other posters. But, let me say...GOOD RIDDANCE!.

1 hour ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

But I am 100% convinced that some people wearing orange and blue are more concerned with winning their way than they are winning and the whole thing stems from wanting to say "told ya so". 

We have a lot of Jerry Jones boosters.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:12 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Think it requires an act of God for us to ever beat UGA. I never expect to win that game ever after the 2020 performance (or the mid 2010s). I think Tuscaloosa looks to embarrass us after the game they should’ve dropped last year. 

That’s very likely true, but my old beer belly tells me we beat one of them this year when we shouldn’t. Side note: ifTJ is the QB, then I retract my prediction. I think ZC is going to be a breath of new air from the last three with Bo. Just my take. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

1,000% agree. Lack of depth and talent is my biggest concern and the main reason i'd be shocked if we get close to 8 wins. 8 is the ceiling imo with this team. Momentum and staying healthy can make a huge difference when it comes to college sports. But our schedule just doesn't allow us room for any setbacks. 

I like our starters on both sides for the most part. But after the 1s there are a lot of question marks. When you have that many question marks and it's not filled with great talent, that's not really a recipe for exceeding expectations. What gives me some hope is that we were close in so many games last year. But to counter that, what is going to be the difference this year to get us over the hump to win the close games that we lost last year?? 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 11:32 PM, AUwent said:

I have no idea what would happen if this is the case...would we look justified in pulling the plug assuming recruiting still isn't picking up?

Yes. We are currently #14 in the sec in recruiting for 2023 and #76 overall…behind the likes of eastern Michigan and Rutgers. 
(247)

We need to prepare ourselves for what’s to come. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yes. We are currently #14 in the sec in recruiting for 2023 and #76 overall…behind the likes of eastern Michigan and Rutgers. 
(247)

We need to prepare ourselves for what’s to come. 

Can't argue with this, but hang tight, as better news could be about to start flowing on that front the next two weeks. Could just be pure pay site sunshine pumping again though. In fact, probably so

On 7/23/2022 at 12:12 PM, weagl1 said:

I think the senior OLine is going to be a big advantage even though they haven’t been very good in the past.  There is no substitute for experience at those positions.  I think we will have a good season this year then fall on hard times next year.  So they save him this year but he gets the axe in ‘23 unless he is able to bring in a bunch of great players through the portal after this season.  Just my humble opinion.  

Just getting back to this because I felt the need to add this point: what really sucks is that the 2023 schedule is as favorable as we've gotten in possibly the entire playoff era so far. Typical (post-14 teams) odd year advantage, get Cal-Berkeley out of conference, and get Vandy from the east (AND as one of our road games). If the current regime were actually doing a good job stocking the cupboard, dare I say it would be a classic Auburn dark horse year. :banghead:

Can the new guys please come on board starting 2024 at least? That schedule is awful because we draw Florida. Thank god they’re guaranteed for 2025 because that would’ve been pure HELL under the current setup (draw Baylor OOC).

Edited by AUwent

On 7/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, Mikey said:

That's because you're right. But on message boards there's always that popular conspiracy mindset. It conveniently excuses posters from facing what is true, and allows them to keep believing what they want to believe instead.

The real issue is this.....successful people giving money to Auburn expect success in return because that's how they operate. Last season was a disaster, and many were very unhappy with that kind of ineptness.. Harsin is on a very,very hot seat because people don't like him anyway, and he has been very incompetent. He has also been pretty arrogant while being a total screw-up. That has not made him any friends. Harsin's problems are 90 % self-inflicted. Blaming boosters for Harsin's failures is quite frankly ridiculous. They didn't make him incompetent. 

Everybody wants Auburn to be successful. But Harsin needs to take a good look at how he messed up, and stop making public statements because he's not a victim. He's paid a lot of money to win football games, manage the program without embarassing the university, and be good at Public Relations.He's paid to make connections and form relationships.  He has failed at all of those obligations so far. I do not understand why some Auburn fans think he's been mistreated. He hasn't. He has been very bad at his job in a monumental and damaging way. That's why those who pay out a lot of money were upset. Nothing damages recruiting more than a coach who is in over his head in such an obvious situation. Harsin has a few guys keeping things afloat because they love Auburn. They deserve a huge cut of his salary for doing most of the work. 

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's because you're right. But on message boards there's always that popular conspiracy mindset. It conveniently excuses posters from facing what is true, and allows them to keep believing what they want to believe instead.

The real issue is this.....successful people giving money to Auburn expect success in return because that's how they operate. Last season was a disaster, and many were very unhappy with that kind of ineptness.. Harsin is on a very,very hot seat because people don't like him anyway, and he has been very incompetent. He has also been pretty arrogant while being a total screw-up. That has not made him any friends. Harsin's problems are 90 % self-inflicted. Blaming boosters for Harsin's failures is quite frankly ridiculous. They didn't make him incompetent. 

Everybody wants Auburn to be successful. But Harsin needs to take a good look at how he messed up, and stop making public statements because he's not a victim. He's paid a lot of money to win football games, manage the program without embarassing the university, and be good at Public Relations.He's paid to make connections and form relationships.  He has failed at all of those obligations so far. I do not understand why some Auburn fans think he's been mistreated. He hasn't. He has been very bad at his job in a monumental and damaging way. That's why those who pay out a lot of money were upset. Nothing damages recruiting more than a coach who is in over his head in such an obvious situation. Harsin has a few guys keeping things afloat because they love Auburn. They deserve a huge cut of his salary for doing most of the work. 

He was quite literally accused an extra-marrital affair with another employee that he brought from Boise. He has made some questionable (to put it nicely) coaching decisions over the last year, but he most certainly was a victim of both slander and libel. Just because it was printed (or typed) in the form of "here's what we view as evidence so what do you think?" doesn't make it any less of an attack. I'm not saying that came from boosters, the BOT, or within the athletic department, but don't downplay how despicable of an attack that is. 

For the record, I hear his opening statement as speaking directly to the media members there, some of which wrote articles on the affair that never happened. 

You're right though, he is paid a lot of money to win football games. He is paid zero dollars to have to defend himself and his family. As he said, it'll be the last time he speaks on it, so hopefully the winning football games part will immediately follow this year. If it doesn't, no one here will ever have to worry about a Bryan Harsin interview again.

• Like 3

As of right now, I think we win our first five, WKU, and someone else we're not supposed to. WDEWDE said that a month ago that if we beat PSU, recruiting might legit start to turn around.

As of right now, I think we win our first five, WKU, and someone else we're not supposed to. WDEWDE said that a month ago that if we beat PSU, recruiting might legit start to turn around.

Well I feel better now AUwent  thanks :poke:

It's too early for me to make a serious prediction but as of today I think we get out of the first five either 3-2 or 2-3, depending on if we can beat Mizzou. Hope I'm wrong on that but I fear I'm not.