Voter ID cards....

SaturdayGT

7 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Where does everyone stand currently....I am on board....pros: I think it will go along way in helping voter confidence...especially with the border crisis. ...Cons:...none as far as I aee...thoughts?

Ensure easy access to an ID and polling places and I'm perfectly fine with ID. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:11 AM, AUDub said:

I feel pretty good you said it. ...we may not agree on each side, but if both sides can at least agree on making elections feel more secure, we are on healthy grounds!..kinda nice to agree on things when we are sorta dictated to disagree lol...politicians have more years experience than we have been alive dictating an us vrs them environment that benefits them and not us 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:11 AM, AUDub said:

This is key.  Remember, IDs cost money to obtain, which is effectively a poll tax.  Need a way to fix that and give equal/easy access to everyone for voting.  Voting shouldn't be a 4 hour chore for some and a 10 minute errand for others.

Do that and I'm on board.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Showing a photo ID in general (Drivers License, etc.) is fine by me. I already have to in AL. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is key.  Remember, IDs cost money to obtain, which is effectively a poll tax.  Need a way to fix that and give equal/easy access to everyone for voting.  Voting shouldn't be a 4 hour chore for some and a 10 minute errand for others.

It should be a holiday and it should last two days instead of one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/25/2022 at 9:38 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Many states issue free voterID cards at county court houses. If you ever think you’ll ever  fly on a plane or enter a federal court house, you need a REAL ID card.   Most states allow use of other government issued IDs and documents.  

7 hours ago, cptau said:

Many states issue free voterID cards at county court houses. If you ever think you’ll ever  fly on a plane or enter a federal court house, you need a REAL ID card.   Most states allow use of other government issued IDs and documents.  

Flying on a plane isn't a right, its a privelege that you pay for.

Voting is a fundamental right and access to ID cards needs to be made easier if states require them to vote.  Its not fair to assume everyone can even make it to their county courthouse, especially when those are often an hour or more away from residents.  People with disabilities, hidden illnesses, the elderly, or even folks who have to work 2-3 jobs can't always get there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cptau said:

i have a friend that is blind and he has to pay almost fifty bucks for an ID card so he can vote. i believe it lasts longer than a drivers license. my memory has been playing tricks on me so take that with a grain of salt. i know they used to be twentyfive bucks and i think they went up.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have a friend that is blind and he has to pay almost fifty bucks for an ID card so he can vote. i believe it lasts longer than a drivers license. my memory has been playing tricks on me so take that with a grain of salt. i know they used to be twentyfive bucks and i think they went up.

Which is complete BS.  You shouldn't be forced to pay money in order to exercise a basic right like voting in this country.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Which is complete BS.  You shouldn't be forced to pay money in order to exercise a basic right like voting in this country.

his wife has to have one as well. she stays sick. i actually got to take her for her fitst time voting which i got a kick out of.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Free is available

https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/photo-voter-id/obtain-free-photo-voter-id

• Love 1

how long has this been available? i never researched it but he did but he might have just missed it.............

just came back to say it was less than i remembered. it was not fifty bucks but more than half.

Edited by aubiefifty

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

how long has this been available? i never researched it but he did but he might have just missed it.............

Not sure but never heard of anyone having to pay for voter id

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not sure but never heard of anyone having to pay for voter id

they just call it a non drivers license ID. our friend john just paid for one less than a month ago.it was a little over thirty bucks. maybe we were all looking at the wrong thing? they are sure doing it. they were told by the lady that issues the license and takes the pic they cost. shrugs

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

they just call it a non drivers license ID. our friend john just paid for one less than a month ago.it was a little over thirty bucks. maybe we were all looking at the wrong thing? they are sure doing it. they were told by the lady that issues the license and takes the pic they cost. shrugs

Makes sense. I am all for people have an ID at no charge.

• Like 1

The problem is that a lot of eligible voters cannot deal with the restrictions. For example, elderly in nursing homes, people who are hospitalized, handicapped/disabled people who cannot stand in lines or deal with registration blockades, etc.

More importantly, a lot of life-long citizens do not have access to a birth certificate. That includes a LOT of people who were home-birthed many decades ago, homeless people (including veterans of Nam and more recent wars), people who have lost records due to natural disasters such as American citizens of Puerto Rico who have lost records due to natural disaster, etc. Native Americans and other indigenous peoples who do not have access to registration sites or don't have the required paperwork -- the list goes on and on.

These laws are intentionally designed to limit access to voting by U.S. citizens who ought to be able to vote, but are more likely to vote for Democratic candidates.

My mother was never able to vote because she was home-birthed and did not have a hospital-issued birth certificate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:50 PM, AURex said:

The problem is that a lot of eligible voters cannot deal with the restrictions. For example, elderly in nursing homes, people who are hospitalized, handicapped/disabled people who cannot stand in lines or deal with registration blockades, etc.

More importantly, a lot of life-long citizens do not have access to a birth certificate. That includes a LOT of people who were home-birthed many decades ago, homeless people (including veterans of Nam and more recent wars), people who have lost records due to natural disasters such as American citizens of Puerto Rico who have lost records due to natural disaster, etc. Native Americans and other indigenous peoples who do not have access to registration sites or don't have the required paperwork -- the list goes on and on.

These laws are intentionally designed to limit access to voting by U.S. citizens who ought to be able to vote, but are more likely to vote for Democratic candidates.

My mother was never able to vote because she was home-birthed and did not have a hospital-issued birth certificate.

thanx for posting. i did not realize just how many folks are affected. many would say tuff luck but voting is a god given american right that should let ALL voices be heard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 8:22 AM, aubiefifty said:

Which state does he live in? 

I wrote Senator Shelby a couple years ago and requested that he co-sponsor a GOP written bill to require voter ID will ease of access. The hope was to have a 2 party compromise of an updated Voting Rights and Security bill, but I guess not enough conservatives wanted a compromise with liberals. 😥

We really have to really do better as a voting population of pushing compromise. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, Brad_ATX said:

In Georgia, you can get a free id made at the registrar's office in each county if you have no other form of id.  Realistically, there aren't many people that don't have an id of some kind.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:09 PM, aubiefifty said:

They are free in Georgia.

• Like 1