All 18 games under Harsin

TeamZero77

I had another Auburn friend tell me how we are always in the games under Harsin but we just can't seem to pull out the win. I went back and looked at each game since Harsin has been here and it makes it sting even more when you see how close the games are. A good coach would be 16-2 right now through the 2021 and 2022 season so far. 

2021 season

Auburn - 60  Akron - 10

Auburn - 62  Alabama St. - 0

Penn St. - 28  Auburn - 20

Auburn - 34  Georgia St. - 24

Auburn - 24. LSU - 19

Georgia - 34  Auburn - 10

Auburn - 38  Arkansas - 23

Auburn - 31  Ole Miss - 20

Texas A&M - 20  Auburn - 3

Mississippi St. - 43  Auburn - 34

South Carolina - 21  Auburn - 17

Alabama - 24  Auburn - 22

Houston - 17  Auburn - 13

2022 Season

Auburn - 42  Mercer - 16

Auburn - 24  San Jose St. - 16

Penn State - 41  Auburn - 12

Auburn - 17  Missouri - 14

LSU - 21  Auburn - 17

In the Texas A&M game, they scored 20 points but they didn't score an offensive touchdown. Against Mississippi State, we were up 28 - 3. Bo Nix got hurt but stayed in the game but we collapsed on offense after he was hurt. Our defense got shredded in the 2nd half. 

I know that we can also look at it and say Georgia State, San Jose State, Missouri could've all been losses. In my opinion, we have been thumped by Georgia last year and Penn State this year. Every other loss, we go up 7, 10, 14, 17 and always blow leads by not adjusting. 

When you actually look at the scores, you see how a good coach and competent coaching staff could easily be 16-2 at this time in Harsin's tenure. It's hard to grasp how we are able to stay in these games every week when we know how bad our O-line play is, our terrible playcalling by the OC, injuries and transfers and all the bad press concerning Harsin's recruiting and job security. 

If he is fired, we HAVE to get the right coach and staff because we can be right back in the thick of the SEC West race alot sooner than I imagined. WDE

• Like 1

Harsin seems to be alot like Scott Frost. Both were successful at their G5 school and then they took over a bigtime program in a really good conference, lost a ton of 1 score games and rarely won any close games. I think Frost was 5-22 in 1 score games at Nebraska. 

Both Frost and Harsin were, and are, in way over their head. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I had another Auburn friend tell me how we are always in the games under Harsin but we just can't seem to pull out the win. I went back and looked at each game since Harsin has been here and it makes it sting even more when you see how close the games are. A good coach would be 16-2 right now through the 2021 and 2022 season so far. 

2021 season

Auburn - 60  Akron - 10

Auburn - 62  Alabama St. - 0

Penn St. - 28  Auburn - 20

Auburn - 34  Georgia St. - 24

Auburn - 24. LSU - 19

Georgia - 34  Auburn - 10

Auburn - 38  Arkansas - 23

Auburn - 31  Ole Miss - 20

Texas A&M - 20  Auburn - 3

Mississippi St. - 43  Auburn - 34

South Carolina - 21  Auburn - 17

Alabama - 24  Auburn - 22

Houston - 17  Auburn - 13

2022 Season

Auburn - 42  Mercer - 16

Auburn - 24  San Jose St. - 16

Penn State - 41  Auburn - 12

Auburn - 17  Missouri - 14

LSU - 21  Auburn - 17

In the Texas A&M game, they scored 20 points but they didn't score an offensive touchdown. Against Mississippi State, we were up 28 - 3. Bo Nix got hurt but stayed in the game but we collapsed on offense after he was hurt. Our defense got shredded in the 2nd half. 

I know that we can also look at it and say Georgia State, San Jose State, Missouri could've all been losses. In my opinion, we have been thumped by Georgia last year and Penn State this year. Every other loss, we go up 7, 10, 14, 17 and always blow leads by not adjusting. 

When you actually look at the scores, you see how a good coach and competent coaching staff could easily be 16-2 at this time in Harsin's tenure. It's hard to grasp how we are able to stay in these games every week when we know how bad our O-line play is, our terrible playcalling by the OC, injuries and transfers and all the bad press concerning Harsin's recruiting and job security. 

If he is fired, we HAVE to get the right coach and staff because we can be right back in the thick of the SEC West race alot sooner than I imagined. WDE

I would even settle for 14–4.

4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

One play away from losing GaSt.

The outlier here is the Ole Miss game. I still don’t understand that one. 

i just don’t think there’s that much difference in the talent level (last year) between most of the sec schools. This year is a different beast. But most definitely the indictment against this head coach is:

1) no adjustments

2) Poor gameplanning

3) losing close games

4) odd play calling in critical situations 

5) poor in game decisions

6) can’t or is unwilling to recruit 

7) believes he is better/smarter/hotter than you, me, or anyone else. We are lucky to be in his presence mentality. Not a fit for our University. (Dare I say most schools) 

but other than that…there’s hope! 

Do you see Auburn cleaning house on all the people he brought in?

11 minutes ago, CR said:

Do you see Auburn cleaning house on all the people he brought in?

That’s the rate limited step from what I’m seeing. Caddy, Ike, Zac I think will stick around. His other buddies…bye. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

That’s the rate limited step from what I’m seeing. Caddy, Ike, Zac I think will stick around. His other buddies…bye. 

And maybe Roc, but I doubt it.

So Frost and Harsin should team up next go around and form a fully complete HC coaching tandem. True trailblazers breaking barriers in this new world we live in lol. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

The next coach should absolutely get rid of any and every person on this staff. If they interview well so be it.

• Like 1

Sounds like Gus. He left a lot of losses out on the field too.

We could've possibly won 9-10 last year which would've been incredible. Including an Iron Bowl win. BUT if that wasn't complimented with a top 10 class and a slew of transfers then it wouldn't make much of a difference going forward.

He's not cut out for the job. He didn't take it serious enough but to cut him some slack (lol), he should've never been hired in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

The outlier here is the Ole Miss game. I still don’t understand that one. 

Lane Kiffin.  His 4th down analytics were the death of him in that game.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

So Frost and Harsin should team up next go around and form a fully complete HC coaching tandem.

Dq8TJTqWkAE-mAs.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Sounds like Gus. He left a lot of losses out on the field too.

We could've possibly won 9-10 last year which would've been incredible. Including an Iron Bowl win. BUT if that wasn't complimented with a top 10 class and a slew of transfers then it wouldn't make much of a difference going forward.

He's not cut out for the job. He didn't take it serious enough but to cut him some slack (lol), he should've never been hired in the first place. 

He did, but he also won a lot of games.  We were ranked in the top 10 at some point in every season he was here.  But for Covid restrictions, which prevented us from playing any cupcakes that year, his last year would have been a 9 win season.  That may not be good enough, but it is a hell of a lot better than where we are right now.

27 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

He did, but he also won a lot of games.  We were ranked in the top 10 at some point in every season he was here.  But for Covid restrictions, which prevented us from playing any cupcakes that year, his last year would have been a 9 win season.  That may not be good enough, but it is a hell of a lot better than where we are right now.

Yes and no. Every other year you could guarantee 3 losses because his teams would not show up in Athens, Tuscaloosa, or BR. Or if they did, they would blow it (2017 LSU, 2016 UGA, 2014 Alabama).

Gus' issues have been discussed ad nauseum on here. We all know why he had to go. He never evolved offensively and pretty much quit recruiting up front. He sabotaged this program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

If Harsin was a yeller and a screamer, we may have better results.  Unforunately, he's just "yeller".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Yes and no. Every other year you could guarantee 3 losses because his teams would not show up in Athens, Tuscaloosa, or BR. Or if they did, they would blow it (2017 LSU, 2016 UGA, 2014 Alabama).

Gus' issues have been discussed ad nauseum on here. We all know why he had to go. He never evolved offensively and pretty much quit recruiting up front. He sabotaged this program.

He did not sabotage the program. That's really low even for this board. Gus was stressed out from all the pressure, and most people on this board have NO IDEA all the crap he had to deal with.  He was just basically burned out. Gus is a good man, and he loved Auburn. He always behaved with decency and class, which is not the case with some Auburn fans. It was time for a coaching change for many reasons, but accusing Gus of sabotage is not true, is very unfair to him and certainly he doesn't deserve that kind of baseless allegation. Shame on you.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

40 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

He did not sabotage the program. That's really low even for this board. Gus was stressed out from all the pressure, and most people on this board have NO IDEA all the crap he had to deal with.  He was just basically burned out. Gus is a good man, and he loved Auburn. He always behaved with decency and class, which is not the case with some Auburn fans. It was time for a coaching change for many reasons, but accusing Gus of sabotage is not true, is very unfair to him and certainly he doesn't deserve that kind of baseless allegation. Shame on you.

He quit building the most fundamental unit of a football team which is the offensive line. Hilarious because his offensive scheme is completely useless if there's no one to block! Gus turned out to be a fraud as well. When people figured him out, he threw up his hands and basically gave up. There was no evolution. His nemesis in Tuscaloosa changed his entire offense after the 2013 Iron Bowl. He knew he had to invest in an offensive scheme that would lead to a ton of points. Enter Lane Kiffin. Meanwhile Gus was like, "well, guess we can lean on the defense and beat teams with inferior talent levels."

He loved it so much that he essentially robbed the school of millions of dollars. Instead of prepping for the 17 SECCG. He and his agent were scheming for a new contract. Great guy! 

Haha like I'm some prominent sportswriter on ESPN? He will never read this, nor would he ever care. 

Edit: I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but get real about Gus. He ended up not being the right guy for the job. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

The next coach should absolutely get rid of any and every person on this staff. If they interview well so be it.

I like Cadillac and would keep him but agree most everyone else should hit the door...

• Like 1

I highly doubt he's in over his head schematically. The SEC has no monopoly at all on outstanding coaching.

The evidence against my point is the second half reversals. We didn't start talking about that since Nix got hurt. Since then, we've had a combination of mostly awful OL line play and QB play that's not good enough to overcome that. That's a recipe for falling apart in the second half.

I'm not saying Harsin should stay. Our recruiting is killing us, and he doesn't seem wired to change that. But you'd be surprised how many Colorado watchers are begging for them to hire him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

I like Cadillac and would keep him but agree most everyone else should hit the door...

I like Zac solely because I think he has some head coach potential on the future. I am not a fan of keeping hang arounds though.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Has anyone argued differently?  It seems the argument has always been he was not cut out to be an SEC coach.  People cared too much about him being a "good man" to can his sorry ass in 2016.

• Like 3

I would say every single one of these failed coaches we have going back to tubs sabotaged the program in one way or another including Gus. Spare me with the good man crap.

CBH - Ego, lack, there I say refused to recruiting 

Gus - Ego, refused to evolve 

Gene - that is self explanatory but ego as well

Tubs - Ego, caused self inflicting wounds purposely. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bostic up the middle said:

I have been a guest creeper on this site for 15 years. Watching and reading is difficult some days and I NEVER get on the site the day of or the day after a game – win or lose. It’s either unicorns and rainbows or death and destruction. I hope that the AD and coach search committees interview some of the people on this site that have all the answers on how to build a top-tier, annual contender, college football program.

I joined today to share some data. I am not passing judgement on any coach or player, just presenting data. I have read much this year comparing this year to past years, in multiple areas, so I thought I would gather some data from the ESPN and 247sports.

Here are some trending graphs from game stat and recruiting data I pulled. Scores, points per quarter, opposing team rank, etc. I did not include data from OT quarters or transfers in/out for recruiting.

AuburnGameStats.jpg

It is interesting to see the data line-up around recruiting and on-field success. A recruiting class closes in January of a given year (minus transfers now), with the recruit showing up that fall (maybe spring) but barring some miraculous talent, not seeing significant playing time for 2-3 years. I adjusted the graphs to account for this delay in talent realization - and it lines up fairly well.

In what many would consider our “successful” years, we were better in the second half against ranked teams, but not against un-ranked teams. In 2010, the margin between 1st and 2nd half points scored was relatively large in both scenarios while in 2013 and 2017, we were fairly consistent in points scored throughout a game against ranked opponents. Do NOT put weight into 2022 data, YET. It is skewed with a small sample size.

From a recruiting perspective, we’ve been on an overall downward trend since our 2011 bump due to the National Championship. This correlates with our avg points scored. The OL recruiting (which only accounts for quantity, not quality) is almost a direct match to our 2nd half points scored against ranked opponents. Outside of the raw data, I would assume this is due to depth since we are looking at number of recruits signed.

Looking at the trending data, 2012, 2017, 2019, and 2021 look to be the most consistent teams throughout 60 minutes of play. Looking at the data, during Gus’ years, it was common for us to start slow against ranked opponents, start fast against un-ranked. The same was true while Gus was here in 2010, but 2011 was different and 2012, both he and the DC were gone.

Looking at points scored vs recruiting ranking on the field (again, not accounting for transfers), the avg points scored with the talent has not fared well since 2010. 2013 had similar avg points scored, but the recruiting ranking was higher (with the recruits who signed after the NC).

These graphs also directly correlate with my heart palpitations and near heart attacks. There is a reason we are the cardiac kids. I have both loved and lived that term since the ‘94 Florida game.

To the point of this post, we can argue all day (and I have watched it happen on this site) about if someone was given a chance, if they can recruit, coach, and on and on. But here are some truths, and like others have said they can ALL be true:

1. You cannot compare the last coach to this coach and you will not be able to compare them to the next coach.
  2. The support each coach gets from our school/PTB is different
  3. NIL changed everything and the coach has NOTHING to do with that
  4. The transfer portal changed normal recruiting and scholly offers

If we hire a coach, good or bad, they must be given the full resources of this university and the "family" to succeed. If the coach cannot be given that, then they need to be paid and sent on their way and the process that got them here needs to be looked into. But, if we want to build a foundation for long-term success, we all need to get behind coach _______ and (as these graphs show) give them the time and resources to build-up recruiting, our brand and NIL pipeline, not to mention give them the money and approval to hire the right staff.

You should creep no longer. This is amazing . Like this needs to be pinned somewhere.

• Like 2