We need a proven SEC coach

The Defiant

There is no time to experiment with our football program because we are at an important crossroads. A crossroad that can set this program back for years. 

My first choice is Lane Kiffin, we should make it so hard for him to say no. His name recruits well, he does a good job in the portal, and his scheme is excellent. 

My second choice would be the best recruiter we can find who can without a doubt recruit the best offensive lineman. This will be the sixth year that we have not focused heavily on restocking atleast the two deep. We need atleast four or five quality linemen. Jeff Grimes may be that guy.

My third choice would be Hugh Freeze, the guy has a good scheme, he can recruit, and comes with a ton of baggage. I believe he could get our recruiting and coaching back on track but it would be like drinking bad medicine. 

Fourth, If we had no option buy to experiment then go with Sanders or go with a coach that has ties to SEC country recruiting. Someone that lives on the road recruiting. Recruiting is about relationships with people, the high school coaches, the players, mostly their families, and you have to work round the clock and use social media and be up to date with what high school players find trendy. The job doesnt stop...ever.

Fifth,

Go after the best available coach that is running a good program and recruits well out of conference but they must be able to recruit, specifically the lines of scrimmage. You can have the best skill players in the world but they are nothing without these guys.

Finally, 

If we don't focus on a coach who eats, sleeps, and lives recruiting our program will be set back atleast four years. The transfer portal definitely can help a program but you have got to constantly sale the program. The best example is Bruce Pearl, he is a gem, he knows what's up. We need someone relentless like him.

Also, as a fanbase we have to have a coach we can all get behind and stop settling for mediocrity, we must stop talking negatively about our players. This is used to negatively recruit against us...you that do this are hurting what recruits think about our fanbase and program. It is obvious Harsin is not gonna be retained, I know it, you know it, everyone does. Let us just put down our keyboards and let it all play out. Continue to support our program and mainly the players.

Sincerely, 

The Defiant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You’re a 5 star recruit and 5 coaches are in your living room

Saban

Kirby 

Kiffin

Freeze

Sanders

who are you going to listen to and who will leave a lasting impression?

We need a coach who can sell a vision of Auburn football. That, I think, is where Harsin won his job. We ALSO need a coach who becomes so well known in high schools, booster meets and every recruiting function that Auburn is always a name on blue-chips' lists. Harsin absolutely was not prepared for that aspect of the job. We need a coach who can hire and work well with top position coaches in the SEC, that know the terrain, know the schools, know the players and know the game of football to identify needs and develop solutions. Harsin failed miserably at this part of the job. 

It's like a ridiculous santa claus list on paper and that's pretty much why the top of college football has sifted down to a handful of teams. We can get there, but it won't be by hiring another "secret path to success" coach. We aren't going to load up on street agents, recruit lights out and then shrug when the team dissolves into discipline problems and sloppy play. We aren't going to have long term success with the neato-scheme-of-the-week and then have zero answer when defenses adjust. We aren't going to win with a motivational speaker building some corporate "culture" and then realize all that two and three star talent performs at a Sunbelt level. We have to make a smart coaching hire, and that's something we haven't done for a long time. I hope we can hire a good AD and break the trend and I hope all of this delay in making any statement on Harsin is toward that end and not just a booster fight over who pays. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Saban

Kirby 

Kiffin

Freeze

Sanders

I agree with this. I think all of these would be listened to and leave a lasting impression, with Freeze being the least imo. That’s why we need Sanders to be able to compete and change the culture like BP did for basketball. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Saban

Kirby 

Kiffin

Freeze

Sanders

I think you listen to all but Freeze. DS is electric, but unproven, Saban and Kirby, great coaches but you may have to wait your turn to ever play and LK, he knows what he’s doing. I say back the truck up and give him a shot. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, The Defiant said:

There is no time to experiment with our football program because we are at an important crossroads. A crossroad that can set this program back for years. 

My first choice is Lane Kiffin, we should make it so hard for him to say no. His name recruits well, he does a good job in the portal, and his scheme is excellent. 

My second choice would be the best recruiter we can find who can without a doubt recruit the best offensive lineman. This will be the sixth year that we have not focused heavily on restocking atleast the two deep. We need atleast four or five quality linemen. Jeff Grimes may be that guy.

My third choice would be Hugh Freeze, the guy has a good scheme, he can recruit, and comes with a ton of baggage. I believe he could get our recruiting and coaching back on track but it would be like drinking bad medicine. 

Fourth, If we had no option buy to experiment then go with Sanders or go with a coach that has ties to SEC country recruiting. Someone that lives on the road recruiting. Recruiting is about relationships with people, the high school coaches, the players, mostly their families, and you have to work round the clock and use social media and be up to date with what high school players find trendy. The job doesnt stop...ever.

Fifth,

Go after the best available coach that is running a good program and recruits well out of conference but they must be able to recruit, specifically the lines of scrimmage. You can have the best skill players in the world but they are nothing without these guys.

Finally, 

If we don't focus on a coach who eats, sleeps, and lives recruiting our program will be set back atleast four years. The transfer portal definitely can help a program but you have got to constantly sale the program. The best example is Bruce Pearl, he is a gem, he knows what's up. We need someone relentless like him.

Also, as a fanbase we have to have a coach we can all get behind and stop settling for mediocrity, we must stop talking negatively about our players. This is used to negatively recruit against us...you that do this are hurting what recruits think about our fanbase and program. It is obvious Harsin is not gonna be retained, I know it, you know it, everyone does. Let us just put down our keyboards and let it all play out. Continue to support our program and mainly the players.

Sincerely, 

The Defiant

I agree with almost this entire post.....Almost.

I think it is absurd to think that people talking about a players ability on a fan site is any fraction of what is hurting us. 99 percent of people here and other boards do not trash a player...but do point out the many inefficiencies in their play. You think AU is the only fanbase that does this? Good Lord, NO. UGA. BAMA, All of them. You should read UGA boards after a loss. Read Bama boards anytime. That group steady rips their players. These kids are playing at one of the highest levels of the game. If they cannot handle a little criticism from AU fans and in turn, flip to UGA or whoever else....they are not going to make it there either. 

Just my two cents worth.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree with almost this entire post.....Almost.

I think it is absurd to think that people talking about a players ability on a fan site is any fraction of what is hurting us. 99 percent of people here and other boards do not trash a player...but do point out the many inefficiencies in their play. You think AU is the only fanbase that does this? Good Lord, NO. UGA. BAMA, All of them. You should read UGA boards after a loss. Read Bama boards anytime. That group steady rips their players. These kids are playing at one of the highest levels of the game. If they cannot handle a little criticism from AU fans and in turn, flip to UGA or whoever else....they are not going to make it there either. 

Just my two cents worth.

Agree. I am no coach, but have followed sports my entire life. If kids are not performing, they will be criticized. That’s not a shot towards them as people, but just as a player. If they can’t take it in college, then forget the NFL. The thing with message boards such as Ga and Bama, is that they rarely have losses to whine about. Play maybe, but rarely losses. 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t exactly call Kiffin proven. He’s had good offenses, but he’s not really pulled off any really huge wins with Ole Miss.  He was a good coordinator, but he hasn’t really proven he can run an SEC full program. 

I’d make a similar statement about Grimes. He’s great with OL’s, which we need. He’s a pretty good coordinator. But he’s a bit of a chance hire since he’s never been a head coach. (That said, I think he’s the kind of coach that’s worth taking a chance on.)

The only “proven” option on the list is Freeze. He elevated Ole Miss to outstanding levels while he was there.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 4

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

What about a Coach that’s won two National Championships in the SEC?

Depends. Does he tithe? 

• Haha 3
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, muxi87 said:

I’m betting it’ll be Grimes

I feel this same way. It will be here soon after they name the Utah State guy AD...

1 hour ago, wareagle7298 said:

All I can say is, be prepared for CRL - Coach Rhett Lashlee.  Auburn either can't or won't pull in a big name coach. 

I thought he was describing ole Grass Chewer.  

4 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Saban

Kirby 

Kiffin

Freeze

Sanders

Well, I'm old school. Not going to bama or uga, hate them, don't care who the coach is.(Couldn't stand the thought of ever wearing that crappy crimson or that leghumpper red and black) I'm going to wait on and offer from Auburn regardless the coach. I would tell all them clowns that I'm going to Auburn right front. If no offer comes from the plains and I just had to really have a scolly, I would go to Ole Miss(sent one of my daughters there to get her law degree to keep her out of Tuscaloosa). And then again, I just might walk on at Auburn, but what 5 star is not going to receive an offer unless he is just not needed at the position he plays. Again, I repeat, I'm old school and 100% Auburn all the way! My daughter even moved to Auburn-Opelika after she graduated. She loves it there! I've said it many times: There is no better place to be on a football Saturday than on The Plains in Auburn Alabama! WAR EAGLE! Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cctiger said:

Well, I'm old school. Not going to bama or uga, hate them, don't care who the coach is.(Couldn't stand the thought of ever wearing that crappy crimson or that leghumpper red and black) I'm going to wait on and offer from Auburn regardless the coach. I would tell all them clowns that I'm going to Auburn right front. If no offer comes from the plains and I just had to really have a scolly, I would go to Ole Miss(sent one of my daughters there to get her law degree to keep her out of Tuscaloosa). And then again, I just might walk on at Auburn, but what 5 star is not going to receive an offer unless he is just not needed at the position he plays. Again, I repeat, I'm old school and 100% Auburn all the way! My daughter even moved to Auburn-Opelika after she graduated. She loves it there! I've said it many times: There is no better place to be on a football Saturday than on The Plains in Auburn Alabama! WAR EAGLE! Just my 2 cents. 

Was just more for the coaches not necessarily the school

Just now, JMassie11 said:

Was just more for the coaches not necessarily the school

Sorry for the hijacking sort of, but if any of them are HC at Auburn, the rest of them would be shown the door because I would tell my dad that I don't want to even talk to them! That's as plain as this ole country boy can put it. To me, it would have been the greatest thing to just run out in Jordan-Hare Stadium wearing that Orange and Blue Jersey and White Helmet! (Never got that opportunity though, Uncle Sam did get me for a few years).

Pet peeve on this site. If you don’t agree with something I say, tell me why. Maybe it’s the scientist in me, but there’s nothing more annoying than down votes with absolutely no critique or explanation. 

So, to those of you who think Lane is a proven SEC coach… why? Has he had great defenses? Am I forgetting several marquee upsets of high ranked teams? How has he “proven” himself?

And to be clear, I’m not saying he won’t or can’t succeed. Just challenging the premise that he’s a “proven” success as an SEC coach. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I think you listen to all but Freeze. DS is electric, but unproven, Saban and Kirby, great coaches but you may have to wait your turn to ever play and LK, he knows what he’s doing. I say back the truck up and give him a shot. 

Curious about the thumbs down? 

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I wouldn’t exactly call Kiffin proven. He’s had good offenses, but he’s not really pulled off any really huge wins with Ole Miss.  He was a good coordinator, but he hasn’t really proven he can run an SEC full program. 

I’d make a similar statement about Grimes. He’s great with OL’s, which we need. He’s a pretty good coordinator. But he’s a bit of a chance hire since he’s never been a head coach. (That said, I think he’s the kind of coach that’s worth taking a chance on.)

The only “proven” option on the list is Freeze. He elevated Ole Miss to outstanding levels while he was there.

And didn’t they end up having to forfeit every win that season under his watch? 

We need a proven SEC coach

Well then, I present you with Dan Mullen, Will Muschamp, Kevin Sumlin and Les Miles.

All these are proven SEC head coaches that were winners at their previous schools, at least for a time. Other than these four, I don't have a name that is available to Auburn. Do you think Kirby or Saban will drop what they are doing and come here?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Pet peeve on this site. If you don’t agree with something I say, tell me why. Maybe it’s the scientist in me, but there’s nothing more annoying than down votes with absolutely no critique or explanation. 

So, to those of you who think Lane is a proven SEC coach… why? Has he had great defenses? Am I forgetting several marquee upsets of high ranked teams? How has he “proven” himself?

And to be clear, I’m not saying he won’t or can’t succeed. Just challenging the premise that he’s a “proven” success as an SEC coach. 

What would you consider proven?  Taking a team who had not had a winning season in 4 years and achieving 10 wins in his 2nd year, plus 6-0 and ranked top 10 currently in his 3rd year is pretty good at a place like Ole Miss.  We hired Tuberville for accomplishing less.

• Like 1