Matt Rhule should be #1 on our List

AUinMS9528

10 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t think AU would have said 6 or 7 wins was proof that they needed to Keep Harsin after 2 win or 1 win first season. But the 3 rd year results was definitely the right direction.

To me, it depends on more than just W/L.  Was it apparent that his program produced a better coached team in season 2?  The W/L is mediocre, but was the team competitive?  Is he lighting up the recruiting trail, landing commits, and using the portal to plug holes?  If that was the scenario for Harsin at Auburn, and the answer to all three questions was yes, I think Auburn fans would be a lot more supportive of Harsin than they are now.

27 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

To me, it depends on more than just W/L.  Was it apparent that his program produced a better coached team in season 2?  The W/L is mediocre, but was the team competitive?  Is he lighting up the recruiting trail, landing commits, and using the portal to plug holes?  If that was the scenario for Harsin at Auburn, and the answer to all three questions was yes, I think Auburn fans would be a lot more supportive of Harsin than they are now.

I gotcha. Just impossible to look back and determine those things. We are talking about historical stats on Rhules past. We certainly know Harsin’s.

Hoke says the coaching search would start with Jeff Grimes.  Says new Prez won't sign off on Freeze unless several turn AU down. Many seem to think  Grimes is gaining momentum 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

You can forget about Cam being around the program if Rhule gets hired. Gross mistreatment of the greatest QB to play for the franchise.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You can forget about Cam being around the program if Rhule gets hired. Gross mistreatment of the greatest QB to play for the franchise.

Don't think Rhule is getting alot of traction 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm just worried about a search committee, if we intend to use one.

After Tuberville was canned they hired Chizik. Yeah, recruiting was great, led by Cam Newton who took AU to.their first national championship since 1957. We all remember how the program tanked two years later.

Then another search committee goes on the hunt and they come back with Malzahn. Yeah, he took us to the bcs championship game his first year. And then it was mediocrity, at its best...or at the best, mediocrity.

Which brings us to the present. It was fun for half a season...and that's when the fun stopped, dead in it's tracks. Who the hell knows where it goes from hére. :dunno:

Edited by milehighfan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hoke says the coaching search would start with Jeff Grimes.  Says new Prez won't sign off on Freeze unless several turn AU down. Many seem to think  Grimes is gaining momentum 

Would be such a terrible hire. Would be the ultimate JABA coach. He’s qualified but Deion Sanders is a joke to many of you? Tell me how many years of head coaching experience does Grimes have? And would he even be considered if he didn’t coach here 10 years ago? And he’s not even that good of an offensive coordinator. Baylor’s offense is really struggling this year, just like how BYU’s offense struggled his last year there. His offenses are great the first year but then teams adjust to him and he’s nothing but average in his second years. Again, I ask if the people who say Deion is unqualified, how can you say Grimes is more qualified than him?

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I gotcha. Just impossible to look back and determine those things. We are talking about historical stats on Rhules past. We certainly know Harsin’s.

Digging around on fan forums from the time he was at Temple and Baylor might give more valuable context to his time there, but I have not bothered to look.

4 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Would be such a terrible hire. Would be the ultimate JABA coach. He’s qualified but Deion Sanders is a joke to many of you? Tell me how many years of head coaching experience does Grimes have? And would he even be considered if he didn’t coach here 10 years ago? And he’s not even that good of an offensive coordinator. Baylor’s offense is really struggling this year, just like how BYU’s offense struggled his last year there. His offenses are great the first year but then teams adjust to him and he’s nothing but average in his second years. Again, I ask if the people who say Deion is unqualified, how can you say Grimes is more qualified than him?

I dont know anything  about Grimes.  Hope someone can shed some light why he is a candidate.  Why did he leave AU in the 1st place

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont know anything  about Grimes.  Hope someone can shed some light why he is a candidate.  Why did he leave AU in the 1st place

Got fired with all of the other staff members in 2012. Also, go and read what Baylor fans think of his offense. That’s all you need to know about him. 

• Dislike 1

I think Grimes is a safe hire.  He is my 5th choice (not that 1-4 is/would be interested).  Not bad but playing it safe.  I would consider Grimes as a fall back hire if others fell through.  In the category of Freeze, but above Freeze for sure.  We would get better under Grimes.  I just think we would be an average team in a loaded SEC at best.  We would still lose a majority of recruiting battles with the other teams in our conference, but the player development would be vastly improved (especially the OL).  Just don't know that Grimes would elevate us much more than where Gus had us.  Expect 7-8 win seasons.  Just my opinion.  I hope we aim higher but this likely what Auburn will settle with.  Nothing personal against Grimes but I think he would be average at best.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

I think Grimes is a safe hire.  He is my 5th choice (not that 1-4 is/would be interested).  Not bad but playing it safe.  I would consider Grimes as a fall back hire if others fell through.  In the category of Freeze, but above Freeze for sure.  We would get better under Grimes.  I just think we would be an average team in a loaded SEC at best.  We would still lose a majority of recruiting battles with the other teams in our conference, but the player development would be vastly improved (especially the OL).  Just don't know that Grimes would elevate us much more than where Gus had us.  Expect 7-8 win seasons.  Just my opinion.  I hope we aim higher but this likely what Auburn will settle with.  Nothing personal against Grimes but I think he would be average at best.

Yep, he’s the definition of a meh hire. He would be number 10 of a list of 10 coaches I would interview. Brings no excitement and isn’t anywhere near the recruiter we need to be competitive with the top teams…

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Yep, he’s the definition of a meh hire. He would be number 10 of a list of 10 coaches I would interview. Brings no excitement and isn’t anywhere near the recruiter we need to be competitive with the top teams…

If I am going to continue to wake up at 11:00pm, 2:30pm or 6:00pm to watch them play.....I would like to have a good reason to do so.  Let's become a very competitive team again.  That's all I ask.

3 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

If I am going to continue to wake up at 11:00pm, 2:30pm or 6:00pm to watch them play.....I would like to have a good reason to do so.  Let's become a very competitive team again.  That's all I ask.

Exactly. We fired Gus because he was an average coach, winning 8 games. No reason to hire another guy who is going to keep the status quo. The unfortunate thing about this year’s coaching cycle is that there are no sure fire coaches. Every single one of them is a risk. It’s why I believe we need to hire the best recruiter and best developer along with who can promote our program ala Bruce Pearl. It’s why my first phone would be to Deion and hear what his vision is for Auburn and go from there…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Exactly. We fired Gus because he was an average coach, winning 8 games. No reason to hire another guy who is going to keep the status quo. The unfortunate thing about this year’s coaching cycle is that there are no sure fire coaches. Every single one of them is a risk. It’s why I believe we need to hire the best recruiter and best developer along with who can promote our program ala Bruce Pearl. It’s why my first phone would be to Deion and hear what his vision is for Auburn and go from there…

I agree completely.  If Deion was to surround himself with an awesome OC and DC and let them have control of their sides of the ball.  He manages the team and load us up with talent through recruiting and the transfer portal, I think we would be back in business within 2 years.

2 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Caught up in the rapture of his offensive line recruiting while he was here. And you are right if he had not coached here prior, not an absolute soul would have him on their short list for HC.

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Caught up in the rapture of his offensive line recruiting while he was here. And you are right if he had not coached here prior, not an absolute soul would have him on their short list for HC.

Been saying this forever and people have been doing the bird box challenge with it.

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Interesting 

Can someone get the stats on BYU’s offensive ranking from 2017-20? ESPN lists them but doesn’t provide a # (they did go from 7th from last in PPG year before he got there to 3rd best in PPG his third and last year there, I don’t have time to count 2018 and 19).

Edited by AUwent

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I am expecting to see elite line play and a first round pick QB in the making then. All I’ve heard is he has the best offense of any candidates that we have discussed.