Yellcrew?

DKW 86

Link to Yell Crew

"To me, Yell Crew symbolizes our devotion to the passion we all share, that of Crimson Tide football."  :headscratch:

- Matt Hale (Gameday Coordinator)

"Yell Crew is screaming loud enough to lose my voice, getting chill bumps every time I step on the field at Bryant-Denny, meeting lifelong friends, and experiencing the greatest tradition in college football in ways others can't." :headscratch:

- Kendra Lewis (Vice President)

"Being a part of the Alabama Yell Crew has forever changed my life and has brought a new meaning to my love for Alabama football.  The feeling of being on the Bryant-Denny field while listening to the Bear talk and 83,818 fans are screaming is absolutely electrifying;  :rolleyes: it gives me chills every time I hear his voice." :rolleyes:

- Rachel Schroeder (President)

"Alabama Football is getting chills when Bear Bryant's voice comes over the jumbotron :no: and having that one tear roll down your face   :lol: because he was so great. It is knowing how many days are left until kickoff (hey dimwit, if you ar looking at the jumbotron you are the stadium, hopefully at a game.) and it's being a die-hard fan regardless of the record. It's having class and knowing that if we lose, we can still hold our heads high because we have the greatest tradition in college football. Yell Crew is a way to experience all that Alabama Football has to offer. It is a great way to support the team and have fun at the same time."

- Brittany Burleson (Treasurer)

Wow, I just realized that at :ua: you have to join a group to raise hell at a ball game. I thought I owed that to my :au: team everytime they suit up. I certainly do not need a over the hill bunch of cheerleaders to get me to get up off my blessed assurance and make noise. I have been to many, many :ua: games. The :au: crowd is by far louder and more vocal on an off day than the folks over at Northport Community College. My God, I actually pity them...that they HAVE to get something this lame going to get into supporting their team. And yes, I found out that I actually know some members. They were the ones leading the Rammer-jammer Cheers PRE-game until Whitt told them to act like they a dime's worth of class.

@ uat it would be much like Will Ferrel's "spartan" cheerleader bit on SNL. Just a bunch of...well..You get the picture. :D

http://66.98.178.37/yellcrew.com/AYCAFlag.htm

This right here is probally one of the funniest pages on that yellcrew site. Its about the "Giant Damn Flag" (coming up with the name was one of the first Yellcrew meetings...it was quite short)

I especially liked:

The current flag is actually a replacement for one stolen after the 1996 Iron Bowl.

:D:D:D I wonder who took it? ;)

Kunzel, I liked this one:

A little known fact about the Alabama Yell Crew "Giant Damn Flag" is that it is run during every pre-game and one rotation for EACH victory in post game celebration.

They sure don't do many rotaions do they???

http://66.98.178.37/yellcrew.com/AYCAFlag.htm

This right here is probally one of the funniest pages on that yellcrew site. Its about the "Giant Damn Flag" (coming up with the name was one of the first Yellcrew meetings...it was quite short)

I especially liked:

The current flag is actually a replacement for one stolen after the 1996 Iron Bowl.

:D:D:D I wonder who took it? ;)

172100[/snapback]

hey KT can you paste the article in. Firewalls at work won't let me open it, blocking it as a chat room??????? governments!!!

Known for it's immense size and colorful description, the Alabama Yell Crew "Giant Damn Flag" is one of the fixtures of the Alabama football experience.  Run every home game during pre-game and after every home victory by the Alabama Crimson Tide, the "Giant Damn Flag" is maintained and handled by the Alabama Yell Crew Committee.

The "Giant Damn Flag" has gone through many incarnations throughout the years.  Once the responsibility of the SGA Spirit Committee and then the Alabama Spirit Team, the "Giant Damn Flag" has finally found a permanent home with the Alabama Yell Crew.  The current flag is actually a replacement for one stolen after the 1996 Iron Bowl.

A little known fact about the Alabama Yell Crew "Giant Damn Flag" is that it is run during every pre-game and one rotation for EACH victory in post game celebration.

I work for the gov't too...it let me in at work..hmm

This is the reason Auburn is 700% cooler than bama

War Eagle

Didn't even notice this on the site until just now....wow this is even lamer than the "Big Dumb Flag"

http://66.98.178.37/yellcrew.com/AYCMeatPole.htm

The Alabama Yell Crew "Meat Pole" is a tradition that was started in the early 1970s by Shorty Price.  Mr. Price was described as a very colorful character who bled crimson.  Price would walk the aisles of Legion Field and Bryant-Denny Stadium with a pole carrying the pennant of that season's defeated opponents to date.  Price was also one of the more notable characters in state politics, making several bids for governor of the state of Alabama.

The Meat Pole's presence was sporadic through the 1980s and the tradition ended entirely in 1993, making what was then its last appearance (complete with 13 pennants) at the NSF&G Sugar Bowl National Championship Game.

Finally, in 2002, the Alabama Yell Crew officially resurrected one of the more popular traditions of Alabama football.  There are many superstitions that go along with the "Meat Pole" and all must be strictly observed.  Each defeated opponent's pennant is placed on the AYC Meat Pole during the Rammer Jammer cheer.

Seems to me like they don't need a very big pole lately..but seriously, Meat Pole? too easy to make jokes about I'm just going to leave that alone.

Kunzel, I liked this one:

They sure don't do many rotaions do they???

172102[/snapback]

No one will get dizzy spinning that flag!

YellCrew was created to be a sort of counterpart to the basketball student group that most all campuses have. It's a great deal for students, I think it's like $12 and you get at least two free shirts and some other stuff like cups and all. The page overhypes what they do, as would any such organization's page.

Here's what they do in a nutshell:

-Run big-assed flag on the field during pregame, and post game if a win.

(I did it for two games, one being the UCLA game in which I ran over a ref. Best moment EVAR!)

-Brought back the "Meat Pole" tradition of putting all defeated team's banners on a pole during games. (Seemed to have faded out in the early 90's, but there's a pic somewhere of it at the '92 Sugar Bowl)

-Wear shirt on gameday and cheer for team like...ummm... everyone else around.

-Go to away games and...act...like...fans! lol

So, yea, it's basically cheap shirts for people who signup. I think ya'll have blown it out of proportion, lol.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Did any of you check out the pictures and profiles of the leadership? Some of their quotes were just priceless.

On why she got involved with Yell Crew:  "I grew up as a huge Alabama football fan.  I chose UA because of the great tradition in football....

So academic reputation had nothing to do with it?

http://66.98.178.37/yellcrew.com/AYCMeatPole.htm

The Alabama Yell Crew "Meat Pole" is a tradition that was started in the early 1970s by Shorty Price.  Mr. Price was described as a very colorful character who bled crimson.  Price would walk the aisles of Legion Field and Bryant-Denny Stadium with a pole carrying the pennant of that season's defeated opponents to date.  Price was also one of the more notable characters in state politics, making several bids for governor of the state of Alabama.

Gosh, I haven't thought about Shorty Price in years! He was certaiinly one of the more "colorful" (for lack of a kinder word) figures in the state for many years. I almost said one of the more colorful figures in state "politics", but I think all his "politickin'" was nothing but a humorous lark on his part--was he ever elected to anything, even dogcatcher, for real?

For those of you too young to remember him, he lived up to the finest standards of the "toilet-paper-&-detergent-box-on-a-stick" Bama buffoon stereotype (Except I think he had all his teeth and no mullet :big: )

On the other hand, he was so far over the top, in a Faulknerian character sort of way, that you had to smile with him--not at him--occasionally.

I.......CAN'T.........STOP..............LAUGHING!!!!!!

This is far and away one of the stupidest things I have EVER heard.

Guys I got to admit, the Yell Leaders at aTm are without a doubt one of the coolest things around. And then there are different yells for each class.

I love A&M and if I didn't attend Auburn I would be at college station.

Hey Strey I understand what yuou are saying we had a very large Pep Section in Junior High School....

I know the Yell Leaders are an aTm tradition. No doubt. I was more making fun of the co-opting of the concept by :ua: They seem to be really watching aTm these days. :ua: had a stadium presentation recently that looked suspiciously like Kyle Field. Then someone noticed the aTm logos around the stadium. I kid you not. They were using aTm stuff for the stadium redo....

Cant find the pic now. Still looking tho.

Hey Strey I understand what yuou are saying we had a very large Pep Section in Junior High School....

I know the Yell Leaders are an aTm tradition. No doubt. I was more making fun of the co-opting of the concept by :ua: They seem to be really watching aTm these days. :ua:   had a stadium presentation recently that looked suspiciously like Kyle Field. Then someone noticed the aTm logos around the stadium. I kid you not. They were using aTm stuff for the stadium redo....

Cant find the pic now. Still looking tho.

172393[/snapback]

Well, YC was concieved in '01, before any TAMU stuff or the upgrades. The picture was thrown together after a last minute decision to add more and, since it looked like Kyle Field's renovation or something or another, the artist decided to throw it in. I could care less really, I can't control the character of another man, nor the lack thereof.

It's kinda like WarEagle_57 said, he'd pay for that. I mean, which one of you wouldn't pay $12 or $15 for two T-Shirts and a chance to run a flag on the filed at JH?

I agree with him also though, they go blow themselves out of proportion, to the point of 'question mark guy' on tv. :no::lol:

The Alabama Yell Crew "Meat Pole" is a tradition that was started in the early 1970s by Shorty Price.

Alabama.......meat pole.......Price.......

It's rollin' baby, it's rollin'

Being a Parrot Head who has been known to don the "proper" attire for a Buffett concert, I will not cast stones. I think it's good for people who want to show their spirit to do it constructive way. Well at least a non-destructive manner.

What I find strange is how someone who not only didn't experience the Bryant era, but wasn't even born before he passed away, can get teary eyed by hearing his voice.

Archived