For those that doubt Prime Time

Potatooooooes!!

41 minutes ago, cbo said:

Deion and Harsin couldn't be more different. I don't know what point you are trying to make here. About as weird as mentioning Princess Di. 

I think it was attacking celebrity vs substance. I think. I’ve come to accept that if someone doesn’t want Deion, they just don’t. Logic isn’t going to work other than variations of the sufficient experience debate. At this rate it’ll be about Deion secretly hating puppies by Fri.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Deion and Harsin couldn't be more different. I don't know what point you are trying to make here. About as weird as mentioning Princess Di. 

The princess di comment definitely one of the most bizarre and out of place comments I've seen on here. 

I may bring up Maya Angelou in a debate next time

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

Guest MustardSeed
5 hours ago, Viper said:

The bottom line is…it’s ALL about recruiting…always has been…always will be. The only thing that’s changed is adding NIL and the portal, which now gives EVERY program a new opportunity to recruit as well as Saban & Kirby.

The rest is just hiring good assistants. Saban has proven, as much of an A-hole he is to work for, assistant coaches are crawling over each other to coach under him for one season to rejuvenate their careers. Why? Because they get to coach the best recruits money can buy. And who wouldn’t look good doing so?

So if you’re truly honest with yourself…who among the realistic candidates (Prime, Grimes, Kiffin, Freeze) can take FULL advantage of NIL and the portal to recruit head to head with Saban & Kirby.

If Prime (NIL) & Kiffin (portal) aren’t your Top 2 on that list, you have issues with the person they are.

I’ve admitted…I cannot stand Kiffin the person he is. However, he’s proven he hits the portal hard. And he desperately wants to beat his former boss. I could stomach him because of those reasons.

That leaves Prime. Is he cocky? Braggadocious? Always has been…always will be. Did he see himself as the best player on the field in his day? Damn straight. Does he now want to be the best coach in the game? His words, “I want to dominate.”

He bragged about Jackson St being among the final two choices for a top tier O-Lineman recently AND that he went toe to toe with Alabama for the kid. And we all know he flipped the #1 recruit in the nation from his very own alma mater. There isn’t a single recruit that has never heard of him.

If the real likelihood of him going toe to toe with EVERY recruit Saban & Kirby wants doesn’t get your juices pumping, I simply don’t understand what more you want. You’d rather have a guy with multiple years coaching in the P5 AND who can bring in Top 5 classes every year? Besides Tuscaloosa, Athens, Clemson & Columbus, what universe do these unicorns exist? 

Not if, but when Prime gets his first P5 gig, he will have NIL deals FLOODING in for his guys by the Brinks loads. The question you have to ask yourself is…do I want that for Auburn or a competitor?

Never been a huge fan of Prime because of his cockiness….but his results and his drive speak for themselves. He may not become some great Xs and Os type coach, and he may well do so….but either way he’d have the talent level at AU potentially higher than it’s ever been. Probably worth the risk. For $6mil a year (12 times his current salary) I bet he’d come. 

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I literally just wrote you so you could talk more because it was sort of ambiguous at first. It was like you kept talking and saying stuff that didn't really equate.....but now that you have spoken more everybody can now see you don't really know what you are saying.

Nobody can deny that most of you that are so against him don't know too much about him coincidentally......war eagle I guess

I literally point out there's actually more indication that he can build a staff and you argue it without knowing his previous and current staff

I know his staff check the background of the 2 most experienced coaches the DC and the TE.  Ascertain whether he attracted them or that they had nowhere else to go.

20 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Trying to be real. If you think there’s any other  candidate out there that could turn around a program in shambles,  quickly revitalize the energy and attitude,  have the reputation to attract critical national interest in 10 mins, weaponize recruiting to take on Kirby and saban, and attract a high end staff… I’m all ears.  There  aren’t perfect options.  But IMO Deion is far and away the best imperfect one. Not even close.  And his potential is elite.

Give me specifics that he he can come into the SEC and do all of this.  This just a bunch of generic crap you people throw out.  Attract critical national interest.  You guys pretty much made that same assessment of Harsin.  At least there was some specificity to the logic no matter how weak it was for hiring Harsin.

20 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Posts like these tell me many people on here don’t do their research before spouting out drivel like that. Look at the staff he has at JSU, imagine what kind of staff he would get here…

He has two the DC and the TE coach that have impressive resume.  Thurman the DC.  His last year in the NFL was 2016 and was out of football for 3 years before he took a job with an arena football league or such in 2019.  He has been at Jackson State since.  Out of the NFL for 6 years.  Deion didn't attract him he had no other place to go.  The TE coach has a strong resume on paper but he was fired at Florida so that doesn't sound like Deion attracted him but parking till something comes along that is better.  Furthermore., with all that experience no coach has saw fit to give him an OC assignment.  Even Deion gave the OC to a young coach and not to him.  Talking about red flags galore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Give me specifics that he he can come into the SEC and do all of this.  This just a bunch of generic crap you people throw out.  Attract critical national interest.  You guys pretty much made that same assessment of Harsin.  At least there was some specificity to the logic no matter how weak it was for hiring Harsin.

Nobody can. There are no coaching  specifics other than his jax st turnaround. Which is hardly the SEC (but at least in our recruiting footprint). There is his track record of winning at every level wherever he’s gone, some is his recent high profile recruiting victories, his proven work ethic,  ect. But the rest is just … instinct that he’s the “defibrillator” that our program needs.  If you’re a prove it to me guy, I can’t. If this thread sometimes sounds like fluffy “crap”. It is.  Deion is an evangelical personality type. But while people often fixate on the persona, I do think there’s also agreement that Deion is an extreme alpha competitor. Very extreme. He’ll never try to sell you that 8 wins is ok. His bar is probably way higher than ours. And thus far - he’s almost always achieved his bar. He’s not a subtle choice and there’s as much instinct as facts. That’s my long way of saying  there’s a leap of faith involved here. If you’re not that type, I get it.

Ps don’t who the “you guys are” but I took a 4 year posting break until recently - Prime inspired. My only recollection of the Harsin hire was feeling … confused

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Fair. But nobody can. There are no coaching  specifics other than his jax st turnaround. Which is hardly the SEC (but at least in our recruiting footprint). There is his track record of winning at every level wherever he’s gone, some is his recent high profile recruiting victories, his proven work ethic,  ect. But the rest is just … instinct that he’s the “defibrillator” that our program needs.  If you’re a prove it to me guy, I can’t. If this thread sometimes sounds like fluffy “crap”. It is.  Deion is an evangelical personality type. But while people often fixate on the persona, I do thinks there’s also agreement that Deion is an extreme alpha competitor. Very extreme. He’ll never try to sell you that 8 wins is ok. His bar is probably way higher than ours. And thus far - he’s almost always achieved his bar. He’s not a subtle choice and there’s as much instinct as facts. That’s my long way of saying  there’s a leap of faith involved here. If you’re not that type, I get it.

BOOM!

Deion (IMHO) brings a ton more potential to this program than Hugh Freeze or even Jeff Grimes.  And he’s a better salesman than those two + Lane Kiffin.

I believe Deion will sell this program like he’s done at JSU which can elevate some of the financial burden our fat cat money boosters have to shoulder.  In return, that diminishes their feeling that they need/deserve their hands in the program.  Remove the need for their $$ and you remove their influence to some degree. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Never been a huge fan of Prime because of his cockiness….but his results and his drive speak for themselves. He may not become some great Xs and Os type coach, and he may well do so….but either way he’d have the talent level at AU potentially higher than it’s ever been. Probably worth the risk. For $6mil a year (12 times his current salary) I bet he’d come. 

I’m betting it’ll take at least 9M/yr. Plus when he lands his first Top 5 class, programs will be gunning for him. Better to start paying him like a Top 10 HC than let someone else do it. 

• Like 1

You don't become the type of athlete Sanders is without a great work ethic.....He is a young 55 and young men would know doubt be drawn to him.

With each day that passes with Harsin as HC is another day waisted and a 6 month step backwards.

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

He has two the DC and the TE coach that have impressive resume.  Thurman the DC.  His last year in the NFL was 2016 and was out of football for 3 years before he took a job with an arena football league or such in 2019.  He has been at Jackson State since.  Out of the NFL for 6 years.  Deion didn't attract him he had no other place to go.  The TE coach has a strong resume on paper but he was fired at Florida so that doesn't sound like Deion attracted him but parking till something comes along that is better.  Furthermore., with all that experience no coach has saw fit to give him an OC assignment.  Even Deion gave the OC to a young coach and not to him.  Talking about red flags galore.

I love how you gloss over his analysts as well. It’s an impressive staff no matter how you cut it. Yes, some guys get fired and take lesser jobs. Will Muschamp was an analyst for Georgia before this year. It happens all of the time. The point was that he has guys on his staff that have been in the NFL and college coaching experience. I don’t think you understand how difficult it is to attract any coaches top coaches to go to the SWAC, let alone JSU. For him to pull these coaches is a miracle in of itself…

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

For $6mil a year (12 times his current salary) I bet he’d come. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I’m betting it’ll take at least 9M/yr. Plus when he lands his first Top 5 class, programs will be gunning for him. Better to start paying him like a Top 10 HC than let someone else do it. 

I think that you're living in a "Fantasy World" if either of you think that Auburn would even pay close to that kind of dough for Deion! I seriously doubt that Auburn would pay him what they are paying Harsin now.

27 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I think that you're living in a "Fantasy World" if either of you think that Auburn would even pay close to that kind of dough for Deion! I seriously doubt that Auburn would pay him what they are paying Harsin now.

They’ll pay harsin (and Gus) way way oven $10m/yr when you include buy outs.  Harsin alone will average out at over $15m/yr.  Its just an auburn thing.  Saban is a steal.  We’re morons at thinking we save money this way.

Reminder Deion is worth an estimated at $40-60m and has a zillion other ways to make money if he wanted to.  He’s giving half his current salary back to jax st. This wouldn’t be normal hire and it won’t be all about money. And there’s a solid chance he says no.  I’m not sure we’re in nearly the power negotiation position some people think we are.  We’ better be selling to Deion as much as negotiating.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

For those giving any energy to the "Neon for President" farce, did you vote in elementary school for the student prez candidate that promised Coke from every water fountain?

I'll support Deion if and only if we can get a rap song out of it 

I wish I was alive in the 80's. Bo, Herschel, Pony Express, The U, The Boz, etc.

Edited by woodford

23 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

For those giving any energy to the "Neon for President" farce, did you vote in elementary school for the student prez candidate that promised Coke from every water fountain?

Comical.  If he had not proven that he can lead men, I might agree with you.  But he has.  There are tons of examples of former star athletes (NBA, NFL) attempting to be high-level coaches.  Some succeed and some fail.  The ones who succeed generally have great leadership and organizational skills and the ability to relate to players (see Bill Russell).  The ones who fail seem to be missing one or more of these skillsets (see Mike Singletary).  Of course, there are many other examples.  Prime seems to be Category A.

I am kind of impartial about the coaching hires as I am not the one making them.  However, in this case if you were to look at all of the candidates that have been presented Sanders seems to be the one with most pop.  Now will he take it?  Who knows, he might.  But you don't pay him like he has been there before because he hasn't.  You would pay him accordingly and bump the pool of money for assistants.  You would write the contract as such that you have x number of years and then the buyout for us decreases but if you do well along those x years your base increases.  So it is more of a win - win.

Sanders is not a dummy and would work to make AU successful because he wants to be successful.  You don't dictate who he has to hire.

I think he would be much better than Grimes (who hasn't been a HC and although his O did well at BYU with a Great QB) he hasn't proven to be good enough to be a HC or else he would have been scooped up. 

Kiffin -  he is a good X&O offense wise but struggles in the D philosophy.  That will never change.  He isn't concerned with recruiting as much and may have some off field issues that are being covered up.

Lashlee - he hasn't shown a great product on the field yet.  Watch some of his games.  Predictable at times much like Gus.  Heck in his matchup with Gus this year his offense was known to the UCF D.  But his D didn't adjust to Gus' O.  So no thanks...

Freeze - If he got his recruits at OM through money well we have NIL now.  However, I don't think he is a good fit for here.  He has done ok at Liberty but not great. MW was the QB that helped him so pay attention to the record before and after MW.  Also, some of the off the field stuff isn't a good look. 

Sorry for being long but in looking at these candidates the most potential is Sanders.  We have seen what the others can do except for Grimes and his O needs those dynamic players and I am not sure he has the ability to pull them.  We know Sanders can with the NIL.  Plus I have been watching some of his videos where he speaks to his team and I appreciate that even more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cctiger said:

You might be right. If he interviews and we low-ball him and he says no thanks, they better pray that doesn’t get out. 

14 hours ago, Carnell said:

Well instead of making ad hoc comments be specific.

I never said he couldn't build a staff I said there is nothing in Deion background that he will build that kind of staff at Auburn. 

There is something in his background. He has built a great staff at JSU. If he could do it there, he can DEFINITELY build it at Auburn, and probably even a better staff.

You people want Deion so bad that you envision that he will build a staff with out any indication he will. 

Again, see the above. Research his staff at JSU.

That is really risking auburn's future.  It  was just like when Gus was hired you people envisioned his high powered offenses at Auburn based on nothing except he did that at lesser institutions such as Arkansas state.   

He did have a high powered offense when he came here. You don’t remember 2013 and 2014? The only thing that slowed him down was his inability to change.

Furthermore, why have the weak link at HC.

If you knew ANYTHING about Deion, you would know he is opposite of a weak link. You don’t do what he’s done at JSU by being a weak link. You do it by being a true leader. 

If he could assemble such a high powered staff why wouldn't auburn go out hire a coach like the ones Deion would hire cutting the weak link. 

I don’t really even know what you’re trying to say here. Why would anyone worth hiring agree to be on his staff if he’s such a weak link? Why would we hire someone that Deion wanted on his staff when he’s a weak link? And why wouldn’t you want the man that got the coaches to buy into his vision there here? You want to cut him out and go for an assistant? 

Deion is not well respected he is liked.  RESPECT IS earned over years.

He’s definitely well-respected

Eric Bienemy and other such coaches has earned respect after long years of service but deion has not.  He was respected as a player but has not earned respect as a coach.  

Because of what he has done for JSU and HBCUs in generally, he is HIGHLY respected as a coach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

You might be right. If he interviews and we low-ball him and he says no thanks, they better pray that doesn’t get out. 

What AU would have to do is pay him enough so the amount isn't insulting. Sanders doesn't need the cash but because of pride if nothing else he wouldn't work for peanuts. None of us would accept pay at a level that's an insult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I'll support Deion if and only if we can get a rap song out of it 

I wish I was alive in the 80's. Bo, Herschel, Pony Express, The U, The Boz, etc.

Funny you say that…

Welcome to the Deion fan club

36 minutes ago, Viper said:

Why? He's not a proven commodity in P5 football. As I've stated before, he's a coach at a school that's just a bit above a Division 2 school. What he's done at Jackson State is impressive and for the SWAC. Can he really do the same at Auburn and in the SEC? And a more important question is: Do you really think that the PTB actually really give him full autonomy over and with the football program? I don't think so because Deion is still all about Deion and his own personal interests just like he's been since his days at Fla. St. and his time in the pros. He still wants everything to still focus soley on him and what he's doing. He still wants ALL the attention. Don't let that smoke screen that he threw out there on 60 minutes the other night fool you. Maybe it's his alter-ego Leon Sandcastle still lingering in him somewhere. Now, that's just my opinion. Feel free to blast away. I'm fairly well thick-skinned....LOL! And he has some serious medical conditions that have to be considered also. How would that affect his coaching day in and day out? How much longe can he hold out at a P5 school and all it's demands? I truly feel for the man with the condition that he has and is suffering through. But that also is something that has to be seriously considered also.

Edited by cctiger
  • Like 1