Kiffen/Sanders

AuCivilEng1

Kiffin vs Sanders  

134 members have voted

1. 1. From what I’ve gathered, the overwhelming majority of the fan base wants one of these guys. At this point Auburn as a whole is going to be devastated if one of these two isn’t our coach next year.  My question is, if both are interested, how tf does Auburn choose? What a complicated yet delightful problem to have. My question is, if these are your two guys, who you picking and why 1 over the other?

From what I’ve gathered, the overwhelming majority of the fan base wants one of these guys. At this point Auburn as a whole is going to be devastated if one of these two isn’t our coach next year. 

My question is, if both are interested, how tf does Auburn choose? What a complicated yet delightful problem to have. My question is, if these are your two guys, who you picking and why one over the other?

I answered Lane, because I think he has more proof of concept. Sanders would also be so fun, but he’s definitely more of a risk.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

Like it or not, CFB is about recruiting above all else.  That's how Lil Nicky built an empire.

Put yourself in the shoes of an 18 year old kid.  Who makes the bigger impression on you sitting in your living room?  Lifelong coach of a legendary DC that you likely never heard of?  Or, the NFL Hall of Famer with Super Bowl Rings who is arguably the greatest Defensive Back to ever play the game?

It's gotta be Prime Time if it's between the two.  All Prime needs to do is come in and make out of the park hires for his staff and then manage the program and bring in the talent. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for thread consolidation.

Nah man. This a 2 man battle poll. It stands on its own. The rest of the threads are the full list of coaches. 

• Like 1

The more I learn about Sanders, the better I like him. He seems to be an excellent recruiter and motivator, and he really seems to care about his players and assistants. Plus he is as competitive as the day is long. I think we would be fortunate to get him.

• Like 8

Another point for Sanders, his NFL career is regionally relevant.  

He covered the bases of both Atlanta and Dallas.  No Falcons, Braves of Cowboys fans alive don't know who he is.   He also has reach all the way to California for his brief but significant 49ers days.

I'd wager that the vast majority of young NFL fans in this area gravitate to Atlanta and Dallas.  Prime is on top of a major sports demographic in general fandom. 

• Like 3

Between the 2, give me Prime. I've said it in multiple threads that I'm just not sold on Kiffin. Sure he's the self-proclaimed "Portal King" but can he legit beat out SaTan and Kirby? Can we afford to give away 1-2 games a season by going for 4th&whatever at inopportune times? By name alone, Prime will at least get you in the door of damn near any living room in the country. P5 experience is a question mark but I think he'd be able to pull any top assistants on either side of the ball.

• Like 3

at the end of the day i just want a winner. i want to put fear in our opponents eyes when we walk out on the field. but my personal feeling is we do not get either. we all get all excited for someone and it almost never happens if you look at our history. i am thinking grimes or stoops or someone like that because i am not sure we have learned our lesson. now i have no problem with those guys but i am not convinced they could turn it around as quick as lane or sanders.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Prime.  Probably only true shot at directly taking on uga, bama elite recruiting and coordinators  - he’d be a phenomena. Much more exciting and will craze the fan base/country. And no massive buyout.  

Better, more fun, cheaper. Done.  And without the perennial will kiffin stay  stuff.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

Big picture and what's probably best for Auburn, it would be Sanders. There would be better positive PR for a longer period of time regardless of anything going on on the field on Saturdays. Basically, media are going to want to have time with him as much as possible through the whole first year and probably for his whole tenure. If they start to forget him/us, he can get invited to a podium at will. As Auburn, we've never been able to buy that exposure. Sanders seems to enjoy exploring fresh means to achieve goals (partnerships, sponsorships, PR, and leveraging his network of professional coaches and developers). Auburn has been stagnant. There's greater upside for recruiting (certainly near-term) because he is more contemporary with the recruits and his message is going to resonate as much or more than Kiffin. That is, Sanders's consistent message and life mission now is probably more aligned to the 'family' vibe at Auburn. Business-wise, we would have more budget left over to surround him with staff, facilities, and operations available for him to showcase the best coaching and development environment for college football players. With Kiffin, we're going to get a solid coach who will grudgingly speak moodily on camera, decent recruiting, some Twitter giggles, there will be trade-offs with staff, and he'll have the facilities and operations we have today unless and until he leads the program to a spectacular level. The reason I think facilities, operations, and staff are capped with Kiffin is because of the cost of his buyout and salary versus exorbitant expenses we currently have booked. Both would be a major improvement and, regardless how long they stayed, build a stronger foundation (worst case). My perspective.

Edited by AUx
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nah man. This a 2 man battle poll. It stands on its own. The rest of the threads are the full list of coaches. 

I don't think KIFFIN is coming. If he does, it will be an insane amount of money. I would have no issue with Kiffin however. But I still think we should target Coach Sanders primarily.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, AUDrew said:

Another point for Sanders, his NFL career is regionally relevant.  

He covered the bases of both Atlanta and Dallas.  No Falcons, Braves of Cowboys fans alive don't know who he is.   He also has reach all the way to California for his brief but significant 49ers days.

I'd wager that the vast majority of young NFL fans in this area gravitate to Atlanta and Dallas.  Prime is on top of a major sports demographic in general fandom. 

I grew up in Texas as a Cowboys fan. Sanders was one of the few players that I loved and hated. Loved him on the Cowboys. Hated him on the 49ers. 

• Like 2

It will be Kiffin or Freeze. SEC experience trumps all. JMHO 

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think KIFFIN is coming. If he does, it will be an insane amount of money. I would have no issue with Kiffin however. But I still think we should target Coach Sanders primarily.

I mean I’m completely fine with Sanders. Don’t get me wrong. I’d be hype for that hire. That’s the whole point of the thread though. Both candidates are so much better than anything we’ve done in a long time. Maybe ever. 

P.S I see the Kiffin spelling correction. I’m bad about that. I noticed it before you pointed it out, but couldn’t figure out how to edit the initial question.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUDrew said:

Like it or not, CFB is about recruiting above all else.  That's how Lil Nicky built an empire.

Put yourself in the shoes of an 18 year old kid.  Who makes the bigger impression on you sitting in your living room?  Lifelong coach of a legendary DC that you likely never heard of?  Or, the NFL Hall of Famer with Super Bowl Rings who is arguably the greatest Defensive Back to ever play the game?

It's gotta be Prime Time if it's between the two.  All Prime needs to do is come in and make out of the park hires for his staff and then manage the program and bring in the talent. 

I get torn between three or four guys. You make some valid points on how Dion could flash some Super Bowl rings etc. to recruits.

It would be nice to have proven SEC experience, Kiffin, freeze, stoops, but I definitely get your point with Dion! It may come down to who wants to come here for the best price vs who we go after?

It just kills me that both Kiffin and Stoops wanted the job in 2020. How on earth do you hire a Harsin over these two? Oh well, water under the bridge.

• Like 2

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean I’m completely fine with Sanders. Don’t get me wrong. I’d be hype for that hire. That’s the whole point of the thread though. Both candidates are so much better than anything we’ve done in a long time. Maybe ever. 

P.S I see the Kiffin spelling correction. I’m bad about that. I noticed it before you pointed it out, but couldn’t figure out how to edit the initial question.

Agreed. It drives me crazy when people put down other candidates because of the one they want. Both Kiffin and Freeze would be extremely pleasing to have. 

• Like 2

If we somehow we get either one of these two guys, it will be the biggest win Auburn has ever had when hiring a college coach. I won’t believe it until I actually see it.

There is no wrong choice in this poll. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Agreed. It drives me crazy when people put down other candidates because of the one they want. Both Kiffin and Freeze would be extremely pleasing to have. 

Yea all these candidates are head and shoulders on a completely different hemisphere than the guys we’ve been trotting on the field. There a good 5-6 candidates I’m going to be completely fine with and 2 of them would have me giddy like a child.

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If we somehow we get either one of these two guys, it will be the biggest win Auburn has ever had when hiring a college coach. I won’t believe it until I actually see it.

There is no wrong choice in this poll. 

Exactly. Imagine being the guy who has to make that choice. Sheesh.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Exactly. Imagine being the guy who has to make that choice. Sheesh.

I just hope the guy in charge is actually choosing between those two guys. That would be the first time in Auburn history that we did something this amazing when hiring a football coach

just once I want to see it happen 

• Like 3