Auburn coaching hot board V2

aubiefifty

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Then how did other schools get talent from Alabama and Georgia?  Having to recruit against good recruiters isn't new or different.  Every school in the SEC does it.  We did it too until Gus couldn't keep up. Saban and Kirby are easy excuses.  Fact is you won't out recruit them with the likes Kodi, JB Grimes, or Rhett Lashlee.  Gus' offensive staff hires and forethought was on par with his level of ability.

Spot on. I shared this a few days ago, but UGA currently only has 1 or 2 commitments from the top 25 in Georgia this year. That state is not locked down and neither is Alabama. FSU got Faulk, Arky just got a 4 Star DE from Birmingham. Clemson beats us for a lot of guys in our backyard. Gus recruited Top 10 but didn’t recruit strategically. Thus a bunch of WRs we didn’t throw too and too few O Linemen over several years. Get a coach that recruits Top 10ish with a strategic approach plus competent game planning and we can compete with anyone.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Spot on. I shared this a few days ago, but UGA currently only has 1 or 2 commitments from the top 25 in Georgia this year. That state is not locked down and neither is Alabama. FSU got Faulk, Arky just got a 4 Star DE from Birmingham. Clemson beats us for a lot of guys in our backyard. Gus recruited Top 10 but didn’t recruit strategically. Thus a bunch of WRs we didn’t throw too and too few O Linemen over several years. Get a coach that recruits Top 10ish with a strategic approach plus competent game planning and we can compete with anyone.  

I started to type out something similar. You nailed it.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Then how did other schools get talent from Alabama and Georgia?  Having to recruit against good recruiters isn't new or different.  Every school in the SEC does it.  We did it too until Gus couldn't keep up. Saban and Kirby are easy excuses.  Fact is you won't out recruit them with the likes Kodi, JB Grimes, or Rhett Lashlee.  Gus' offensive staff hires and forethought was on par with his level of ability.

I'm surprised that some of the Kodi lovers aren't calling for him to be the HC. We need a staff of recruiters that can coach! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

It showed up when Gus hired HH and then really manifested when he was too lazy to do a real coaching search or try to upgrade the OL coaching at all.  The less than 24 hour rehire of JB Grimes is when and where our OL started tanking.  

That is the reason I still don't regret parting ways with him.

Edited by AUwent

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I started to type out something similar. You nailed it.  

UA and UGA currently have the 1 and 2 classes. Again, they get who they want. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

It showed up when Gus hired HH and then really manifested when he was too lazy to do a real coaching search or try to upgrade the OL coaching at all.  The less than 24 hour rehire of JB Grimes is when and where our OL started tanking.  

Started tanking before either event. Gus was doing his own OL evals & didn't want any input from any of the OL coaches we had. And he never really had any plan Bs or Cs thus why we were always short on OLs on roster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hopsing said:

Q- is there a ideal version of staff if Caddy could become coach? With the enthusiasm and possible recruiting lift he brings, and I realize he has much to learn to be a solid HC, is there someone he could hire as “associate HC” if you will for guidance?

Serious thoughts!

Nevermind 

1 hour ago, mdp5150 said:

It’s always the fall back candidate that gets the AU job. Let’s start the Freeze negotiations right now. 

I don't see Freeze as a fallback. My personal choice would be Jeff Grimes but Freeze is second. Remember, we have an experienced, professional AD in place. He may well choose someone who hasn't even been mentioned on this board.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:41 AM, Mikey said:

I don't see Freeze as a fallback. My personal choice would be Jeff Grimes but Freeze is second. Remember, we have an experienced, professional AD in place. He may well choose someone who hasn't even been mentioned on this board.

Grimes calling an amazing game tonight at home, great choice! 🤣

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lanning ....Loss

Kiffin....Loss

Grimes...Loss

Freeze....Loss

Sanders...WON

Caddy….WON

Not pushing him for hc, but damn he needs to stay. Owe him a lot. Imagining him and Sanders combined. Dear lord

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

Okay so now that we got the emotions out. Who are we looking at?

I would let Dan Lanning stay in Oregon.

My top 3:

Deion Sanders - Some of you guys are cultish and annoying as hell. I suppose I would just deal with it.

Hugh Freeze

Lane Kiffin. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
9 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Grimes calling an amazing game tonight at home, great choice! 🤣

Freeze lost to a terrible UConn…Kiffin choked on the big stage yet again…Lanning choked in his biggest game of the year…this all happened yesterday. If we are going off of one game then none of them make the cut…. 

Lane is frustrated, and you can tell. I think we have a legit shot at this guy. If he comes I hope he keeps Caddy and embraces this energy Caddy has created. If Kiffin has the funds to put together a solid defensive staff, he’s a national championship play caller. Auburn needs to go all in on this guy and surround him with what he needs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Caddy….WON

Not pushing him for hc, but damn he needs to stay. Owe him a lot. Imagining him and Sanders combined. Dear lord

Yes. This! We gotta have this!!!

At first I was convinced everyone was joking with this 'judging our candidates by how they preformed THIS week'. But now I'm not sure. If anyone disqualified Lanning for a bad 4th down call, I have a copy of the 2021 Ole Miss vs. Auburn game for you to watch.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Lane is frustrated, and you can tell. I think we have a legit shot at this guy. If he comes I hope he keeps Caddy and embraces this energy Caddy has created. If Kiffin has the funds to put together a solid defensive staff, he’s a national championship play caller. Auburn needs to go all in on this guy and surround him with what he needs.

It’s Lane Train time.  He’s peaked in Oxford which means going 10-2 and winning a Cotton Bowl.  Sky is the limit at Auburn and I think he’s feeling it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Freeze lost to a terrible UConn…Kiffin choked on the big stage yet again…Lanning choked in his biggest game of the year…this all happened yesterday. If we are going off of one game then none of them make the cut…. 

Nick Saban lost to ULaMo. Not pointing to you Mustard, but this is the dumbest argument ever. A coach loses A game against a "supposed" lesser opponent and they are no longer a good coach. Ridiculous! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

At first I was convinced everyone was joking with this 'judging our candidates by how they preformed THIS week'. But now I'm not sure. If anyone disqualified Lanning for a bad 4th down call, I have a copy of the 2021 Ole Miss vs. Auburn game for you to watch.

Auburn has the dumbest fans in sports! Let's base our hire off of who won YESTERDAY!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Nick Saban lost to ULaMo. Not pointing to you Mustard, but this is the dumbest argument ever. A coach loses A game against a "supposed" lesser opponent and they are no longer a good coach. Ridiculous! 

Amen to this. People forget but Saban also lost to UAB when he was at LSU. And Kirby lost to Vandy his first season at UGA. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:52 PM, TeamZero77 said:

I haven't heard that yet but I have read on the Mississippi State message boards and alot of them said Cohen is really tight with spending. He doesn't go after big name coaches because he knows they'll want a big salary. He hired Mike Leach, which I think was a big name for Mississippi State but Leach doesn't come with a big pricetag and he never has. That may just be negative fans at MSU posting that but quiet a bit are saying it.

Their fanbase has been mixed about him leaving. Half seem really happy he left and the others are calling him a traitor.

I'm happy he has experience and is very familiar with the SEC and how things are done here. 

He's our AD and I'll get behind him 100% until he gives me a reason not to. WDE

100%. Never understood anything else. I was for Gus till the UGA game in 2016. Was a Harsin backer until the Penn State game this year. Will back whoever as AD and Coach until they give me a reason not to. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Auburn has the dumbest fans in sports! Let's base our hire off of who won YESTERDAY!

It’s simply some coaches lost some shine yesterday. Some more than others.