Kevin Steele

Zinzan

I know he left under awkward circumstances. But is he forever burnt at Auburn as a coordinator, or could he coach the defense for Kiffin, Freeze, or Deion? I think he probably knows now he’s not getting that big HC opportunity any time soon, after Auburn and Tennessee passed on him. 

Alternative, has the shine worn off T Rob? And I’m sure many here would like to see T Will come home. 

2 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

I know he left under awkward circumstances. But is he forever burnt at Auburn as a coordinator, or could he coach the defense for Kiffin, Freeze, or Deion? I think he probably knows now he’s not getting that big HC opportunity any time soon, after Auburn and Tennessee passed on him. 

Alternative, has the shine worn off T Rob? And I’m sure many here would like to see T Will come home. 

I dont know why Steele would be forever burnt but i do think an incoming coach would be super skeptical on hiring him as he seems to have tight connections w major shot callers and could be seen as a threat to the throne in some form or fashion.

i love T-Will but i think he is happy where he is and the upcoming move to the big 12 at UCF has to be appealing as opposed to entering the absolute gauntlet that is the sec west  -- 

6 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

Other folks might have a different perspective on him. But I don’t really want him ever back on Auburn’s campus. Yes, it was time to move on from Malzahn. But the behind the scenes coups that he incited was despicable. I’d don’t think I trust him to not try it again if I’m an Auburn head coach. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I love T-Will but i think he is happy where he is and the upcoming move to the big 12 at UCF has to be appealing as opposed to entering the absolute gauntlet that is the sec west  -- 

I wondered if his loyalties to Gus would prevent a return to Auburn in a lateral move, but forgot about the Big 12 invite. Good point. 

6 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Other folks might have a different perspective on him. But I don’t really want him ever back on Auburn’s campus. Yes, it was time to move on from Malzahn. But the behind the scenes coups that he incited was despicable. I’d don’t think I trust him to not try it again if I’m an Auburn head coach. 

Maybe you’re right. I don’t know enough about it, and gave him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn’t the instigator of the coup attempt, just the horse they were backing. 

I do agree that many HCs would not trust him. I imagine Kiffin and Freeze know him better than we do. 

Edited by Zinzan

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I'm more worried about his age at this point.  

64? I’d think he’d still have several good years in front of him. 

t rob is not high on my list. the last time we played SCe he and boom were laughing at auburn and it pissed me off.i have not forgotten that. beamer tot did the same thing but he never coached of played here so it did not hurt as bad but it still stung. does no one else remember that? and i do not remember them being that great on D there anyway.

12 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

I wondered if his loyalties to Gus would prevent a return to Auburn in a lateral move, but forgot about the Big 12 invite. Good point. 

I think w the right staff and a heavenly salary he would do it. He has to enjoy the job security where he is at and being in tight w the coach is always nice plus he is such an integral part of recruiting there that they would probably bump his salary up to retain him.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

Steele is a guy who is as good as the personnel he has. If he has terrible personnel (2020 here/Miami now), he is absolutely horrible. If he has great personnel, like he had here from Muschamp, then he is very good. But he's not a guy you want trying to help you rebuild a defense due to this imo. His recruiting is overrated 

I’d have to think there are many qualified candidates that we wouldn’t have to dip into our past Coordinator pool. Hard pass for me. 

This is a bizarre concept, Steele had power brokers wanting him as HC therefore Steeles persona non grada. Its the same odd thought process that says Neutered Dame is evil because they have enough following to BE independent AND roll in $$. There's too many very good DCs to obsess over Steele but these lingering vendettas are strange.

My husband and I have lamented all year that we miss Kevin Steele.  We miss the tackling and players knowing where they are supposed to be positioned.  Miss that strong edge rush.  Missed the halftime adjustments.  All that being said, I don’t think I would want him back, especially if we could get someone better.  I don’t really know how deep his participation was in the Gus coup, whether it was more him or more the boosters, but I just think that’s not right to do to your head coach.  Gus was digging his own grave on his own and didn’t need to be shoved from behind into it.  

Edited by 3rdgeneration
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I think w the right staff and a heavenly salary he would do it. He has to enjoy the job security where he is at and being in tight w the coach is always nice plus he is such an integral part of recruiting there that they would probably bump his salary up to retain him.

There is also the attraction to get back in the Alabama retirement system.

God we struggle looking forward. Half the names we’ve discussed peaked during or before Obama was president. 

Edited by auburnatl1

I would be 100% content if we would look outside the purview of former Auburn players and coordinators to fill the next coaching staff...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Taker said:

Screenshot_20221106_193315.jpg

I'd be happy with the same results, if the defense was as strong now as it was under most of Steele's Auburn teams. Do you think Steele's AU Ds were bad? I remember a lot of post-game complaints that Gus's offense once again wasted a great defensive game.

On the other hand, I wasn't really advocating for him to be hired. Just thinking that the names on our HC short-list are more offensive minded (or in the case of Deion, ???), and finding a good DC will be a priority, so was wondering who we might be interested in. Not sure who Kiffin or Freeze or Grimes or Sanders would try to recruit.

1 minute ago, Zinzan said:

I'd be happy with the same results, if the defense was as strong now as it was under most of Steele's Auburn teams. Do you think Steele's AU Ds were bad? I remember a lot of post-game complaints that Gus's offense once again wasted a great defensive game.

On the other hand, I wasn't really advocating for him to be hired. Just thinking that the names on our HC short-list are more offensive minded (or in the case of Deion, ???), and finding a good DC will be a priority, so was wondering who we might be interested in. Not sure who Kiffin or Freeze or Grimes or Sanders would try to recruit.

Dude, why would any new HC want to hire a DC who was allegedly trying to get pushed into the HC job by certain boosters? Do you not remember how Kevin Steele departed Auburn the last time? Do you think the fans would be happy with that decision? 

There are more than 2-3 DC's in the country. What's next, let's bring back Chizik? 

If KIffin, Freeze, etc. are hired they will find their own DC. These are known big-name coaches. We don't need to recycle Kevin Steele.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1