Grant Heard to coach Wide Receivers

O&B

2 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

I read an article about an hour ago that stated he was bringing 8 Liberty coaches with him. 

The limit is 1 head coach and 10 assistants. We already have the head coach, Caddy, Etheridge, Robinson and now Heard. There aren't eight slots left.

41 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Chris Kiffin is my guess at DC. Kent Austin Co-OC with someone. 

just a guess 

seems like we are hiring all of the Liberty guys 

Doubtful Kiffin comes. He left his brother’s staff to go back to NFL. Unless he thinks he is getting fired.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The limit is 1 head coach and 10 assistants. We already have the head coach, Caddy, Etheridge, Robinson and now Heard. There aren't eight slots left.

I’m sure several will have off-field responsibilities. Analysts, recruiting coordinators, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roe4christ said:

How many of those would be position coaches and how many would be only staff hires?  Also, I hope both the OC and DC are bigger, more established names with a history of good offenses and defenses.  Offense, less important than defense with Coach Freeze likely having a heavy hand on that side of the ball.  We shall see.  Do you think we have the staff in place and announced before the weekend (Saturday) before the portal opens on Monday?  Will that be a positive for transfers or not?

muschamp DC will do 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Has Heard been hired? 

We *really* need a few established big recruiting names.

EDIT: I'm hearing Harris was big in recruiting at OM when HF was there. But still, need at least one Matt Luke at OL-type hire.

Edited by AUwent
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Has this hire been confirmed?

No, it hasn't.  Also hearing Maurice Harris is coming from Liberty.  He was the WR coach there since 2019 and the TE coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Ole Miss from 2012-2018.  Don't know yet whether Harris will be the WR coach or is taking an analyst role.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, O&B said:

Welcome Coach Heard! Another great hire by Freeze! They previously coached together at Ole Miss. He has coached big names such as AJ Brown, DJ Metcalf, Dawson Knox, Elijah Moore, Evan Engram, and Laquan Tredwell.

....And they still couldn't win.

Jk Jk

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

Don't know what to tell you. I saw the article online on my phone, got home, and couldn't find it. It definitely didn't say what roles they would fill, only that there were 8 from Liberty that were coming. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Don't know what to tell you. I saw the article online on my phone, got home, and couldn't find it. It definitely didn't say what roles they would fill, only that there were 8 from Liberty that were coming. 

You weren't imagining this because I've read the article yesterday and also saw it again just 2 hours ago. It said Freeze has offered positions on his Auburn staff to 8 of his Liberty coaching staff members. Like you stated, it didn't give any names or what position they would coach, it just mentioned 8 Liberty staff members. 

I'm betting a few of those 8 positions are for off the field roles like analysts or recruiting coordinators, etc. 

Almost all the Liberty folks coming over are moving to analyst roles out side of Garrett who was already named DL coach, and possibly Maurice Harris who coached TE and was recruiting coordinator at OM from 2012-18, and then WR coach the last few years at Liberty.  That Harris hasn't already been named leads me to believe that Grant Heard is in play for that slot, but he has an AAC Championship game to play today so we won't know until after that's over at the earliest.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Almost all the Liberty folks coming over are moving to analyst roles out side of Garrett who was already named DL coach, and possibly Maurice Harris who coached TE and was recruiting coordinator at OM from 2012-18, and then WR coach the last few years at Liberty.  That Harris hasn't already been named leads me to believe that Grant Heard is in play for that slot, but he has an AAC Championship game to play today so we won't know until after that's over at the earliest.

I thought that Austin and Aigamaua were also going to be on the field? I know four of the eight were slated for off the field, but that would still mean three on the field slots remaining after Caddy, Zac, CRob and the Liberty guys.

Edited by AUwent

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

I thought that Austin and Aigamaua were also going to be on the field? I know four of the eight were slated for off the field.

Forgot about Aigamaua.  Yes, he's doing TE's.   Austin is expected to be an off field analyst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

You weren't imagining this because I've read the article yesterday and also saw it again just 2 hours ago. It said Freeze has offered positions on his Auburn staff to 8 of his Liberty coaching staff members. Like you stated, it didn't give any names or what position they would coach, it just mentioned 8 Liberty staff members. 

I'm betting a few of those 8 positions are for off the field roles like analysts or recruiting coordinators, etc. 

The one I read definitely mentioned the names, but not positions. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:53 PM, sevenlee36 said:

I think the most important hire is OL coach

With WR Coach immediately following it. The lack of separation was awfully apparent even when the line stood tall.

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

I thought that Austin and Aigamaua were also going to be on the field? I know four of the eight were slated for off the field, but that would still mean three on the field slots remaining after Caddy, Zac, CRob and the Liberty guys.

Harris and Kent Austin will be analysts 247 said. I wish the TE coach would be off the field and Harris was our TE coach. Much more seasoned recruiter.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

I've been doing a lot of reading about Grant Heard, and it seems like a great hire.

I'm surprised we have not yet heard anything official about an OC or DC.

8 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I've been doing a lot of reading about Grant Heard, and it seems like a great hire.

I'm surprised we have not yet heard anything official about an OC or DC.

Nothing official yet, though. Not counting my chickens, especially if they're ones I want! lol

Edited by AUwent