2024 4* Center Peyton Marshall Decommits From AU (4/14/23)

Maverick.AU

Jeez maybe we have known this for a while and that is why we have been searching for more?  But you would think since it is 2024 that that would have less of an affect.  Correct me if I am wrong...

So he stated: "

"First and foremost I would like to thank Bruce Pearl and the Auburn coaching staff," Marshall wrote. "After news of recent coaching staff changes within the program and recent talks with the ones closest to me, it is within my best interest to re-open my recruitment. I truly appreciate the support the fans and basketball community have given me.

"I will be decommitting from Auburn University. Please respect my decision."  Looks like losing Wes was what made it happen

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bruce got something up his sleeve

Hope there is a payoff at end

39 minutes ago, Lotto said:

So he stated: "

"First and foremost I would like to thank Bruce Pearl and the Auburn coaching staff," Marshall wrote. "After news of recent coaching staff changes within the program and recent talks with the ones closest to me, it is within my best interest to re-open my recruitment. I truly appreciate the support the fans and basketball community have given me.

"I will be decommitting from Auburn University. Please respect my decision."  Looks like losing Wes was what made it happen

Flanigan was a hell of a recruiter, I’m not surprised this has some impact. He was the lead on Philon too iirc, so….

54 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Opposite ... wonder if this is the big change.  Sucks. Wanted this guy

There’s this Bidunga kid Auburn wants that plays his position and is like top 5 in Peyton’s class. That original tweet might be referring to him?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

This is NOT a very fun weekend so far.

I tried to tell you!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There’s this Bidunga kid Auburn wants that plays his position and is like top 5 in Peyton’s class. That original tweet might be referring to him?

I saw Bryan Matthews tweet about him, so maybe.  Also hope that wasn't supposed to be a kept secret.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Opposite ... wonder if this is the big change.  Sucks. Wanted this guy

Nope! Should only help our chances with Flori Bidunga 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I saw Bryan Matthews tweet about him, so maybe.  Also hope that wasn't supposed to be a kept secret.

I dunno, there’s so many names Auburn is linked to atm, and most of them are “sizable” depending on your interpretation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marshall would’ve decommitted if he heard of us making some strides with Bidunga though - these recruits find out about everything anyway 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW JLee says Marshal decommitting was a mutual parting of ways with he & AU.

Do we know why?

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* Center Peyton Marshall Decommits From AU (4/14/23)

Peyton doesn’t fit the mold as well for us he would do better going somewhere like duke and playing a role like a plumlee 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Randman5000 Hinting at this guy taking the spot...

Not doubting you personally, but I don’t understand this train of thought. They may both be listed as “centers” but they are completely different players. Marshall is 7’ and 300 lbs. Bidunga is 6’9”, 220 and looks more like a replacement for Jaylin Williams. Has Bruce decided to take the team makeup in a different direction? 

10 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Not doubting you personally, but I don’t understand this train of thought. They may both be listed as “centers” but they are completely different players. Marshall is 7’ and 300 lbs. Bidunga is 6’9”, 220 and looks more like a replacement for Jaylin Williams. Has Bruce decided to take the team makeup in a different direction? 

@PotPot Even though different builds AU sees FB as a C right now with his skill set. He could be a 4 down the line but his AU career would start at the 5. So same position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@PotPot Even though different builds AU sees FB as a C right now with his skill set. He could be a 4 down the line but his AU career would start at the 5. So same position.

Yeah I get what you’re saying but I still don’t understand it. Not fond of 6’9” centers. We are also currently considering a 6’4” SG as a small forward. Sounds like we are headed back to the days of being the shortest team in ncaa. Don’t mean to sound like I’m questioning Bruce but it would be nice if he would give me a call and explain the plan, lol 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Yeah I get what you’re saying but I still don’t understand it. Not fond of 6’9” centers. We are also currently considering a 6’4” SG as a small forward. Sounds like we are headed back to the days of being the shortest team in ncaa. Don’t mean to sound like I’m questioning Bruce but it would be nice if he would give me a call and explain the plan, lol 

Kentucky has a 6'9 center who's been a NPOY contender for two straight years, with one won, if it makes you feel better

I wouldn't be shocked if Bidunga played 4 with Broome at the 5 often though. Johni's a great rim protector but doesn't move well. Bidunga looks like a great "rover"/help defender. Those two combined should be incredible defensively. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Kentucky has a 6'9 center who's been a NPOY contender for two straight years, with one won, if it makes you feel better

I wouldn't be shocked if Bidunga played 4 with Broome at the 5 often though. Johni's a great rim protector but doesn't move well. Bidunga looks like a great "rover"/help defender. Those two combined should be incredible defensively. 

Tshiebwe is a great player but I don’t consider him a traditional center. Lots of teams play without a traditional center and it can work well but the rest of the team is built around that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From an insider on Marshall FWIW

When he committed to Auburn they gave him a plan on how to get healthier, lean down, and get stronger. Instead he got slower and bigger. What they asked of him was a condition of his scholarship.

@PotPot

• Thanks 3

Smart move by the coaches to give him some goals to meet and cut him loose if he could not meet them. I was excited about his potential but thought it was an odd fit from the start since we like to run so much.

• Like 1