Report: Multiple Independent Alabama News Outlets Were Paid Money to Provide Positive News Coverage to Alabama Power Company and Negative Articles about The Company's Critics.

CoffeeTiger

This report is a reminder that Independent, small Media and news outlets aren't immune to corruption, payoffs, or slanted news coverage. 

https://www.al.com/news/2022/12/matrix-paid-news-outlets-to-give-alabama-power-favorable-coverage-report-states.html

An NPR Report shows that a Consulting firm with strong business ties to Alabama Power Company, paid a lot money and provided services to 3 smaller, independent news outfits in Alabama. Namely Alabama Today, Alabama Political Reporter, and Yellowhammer News, and that all 3 outlets coincidently provided very glowing news coverage of Alabama Power, its activities, rate increases, and service, while at the same time writing negative articles and coverage for Alabama power critics...especially members of the Alabama public service commission who wanted to investigate/hold Alabama power accountable.  

Alabama political Reporter acknowledged  that they recieve payments and services from the Consulting firm and that they do research work for the firm but denied that it affected their reporting. Yellowhammer News denied having any involvement at all or receiving any payments from the Consulting firm despite federal tax records showing a $100,000 payment from the consulting firm made to a business that is/was owned and operated  by Yellowhammer News, but seems to no longer be around. 

Seems the payoffs have been working considering our current Public Service commission's only real work is giving a government rubberstamp to whatever Alabama power decides to do. https://www.al.com/news/2022/12/archibald-oh-lord-tell-us-who-the-alabama-psc-worships-most.html

• Thanks 3

While with the Chamber of Commerce during the 80s and 90s, Alabama Power would pay for publicity videos to be shot for small Southern towns. Everyone i saw ended up being a publicity video for ALABAMA POWER & the Small Town. They have been at this for decades with taking $$$ and influencing everything.

• Like 1

Not surprising at all.  ALPCO is one of the “Big Mules” in Alabama and pretty much gets what it wants, although it is not always what’s best for the state as a whole.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, DKW 86 said:

While with the Chamber of Commerce during the 80s and 90s, Alabama Power would pay for publicity videos to be shot for small Southern towns. Everyone i saw ended up being a publicity video for ALABAMA POWER & the Small Town. They have been at this for decades with taking $$$ and influencing everything.

Every Chamber of Commerce or Economic Development Authority that I have been associated with, they have someone on the Board of Directors. Their foundation also helps in buying influence.

• Like 2

AL Power is probably the most powerful corporation in Alabama. 

• 3 weeks later...

how does alabama power up their rates twice in two months? i was told there was hearing and basically their spokesman said blame biden. and that was it. my last bill almost doubled so now i will have a colder than normal winter. and the rate hike for this month has not gotten here yet. it almost seems like us poor folks cannot get a break. thank god i have three dogs i sleep with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

how does alabama power up their rates twice in two months? i was told there was hearing and basically their spokesman said blame biden. and that was it. my last bill almost doubled so now i will have a colder than normal winter. and the rate hike for this month has not gotten here yet. it almost seems like us poor folks cannot get a break. thank god i have three dogs i sleep with.

Is it often a 3 dog night in Alabama?  Over Christmas it got to -7 F here in NC and my three dogs were cuddled up with me on the couch.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is it often a 3 dog night in Alabama?  Over Christmas it got to -7 F here in NC and my three dogs were cuddled up with me on the couch.

we had really cold weather for about a week. hell my washing machine froze up. first time since i bought this house. normally in the winter i sleep with a fan blowing on me just like in the summer.along with a ceiling fan i might add. i believe it got below ten degrees then.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

"Three Dog Night"   ;D

As I recall, they played in Auburn back in the day.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"Three Dog Night"   ;D

As I recall, they played in Auburn back in the day.

man i love those guys. they are coming to oxford al this spring but i think all are dead but one singer. i always wanted to sing eli's coming but i could not quite hit that last couple of high notes. their career was pretty much ruined by the mob as was van morrisons as well. they lost millions. i think both were dealing with threats against their life. three dog nights was. they have a tell all book they say is real good but i never read it.

• Like 1