Men vs Arkansas Game Thread

Maverick.AU

46 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The zone helped a ton. 
Flannigan was really good tonight. Wow. 
And we made shots…

I am shocked. 

One really subtle thing he did that might have multiple purposes (from my interpretation). In the first half, Arky subbed Pinion in, which made Auburn come out of its zone momentarily. Didn’t really affect the game much then 

Tried putting him back in but hiding him on Zep…and Pearl just told em isolate and let Zep cook. Got him off the court asap. Allowed em to keep playing zone (and get some buckets too)

• Like 2

Nice win! Looks like we s*** well. Wasn’t able to watch. Maybe Bruce lit a fire under them. 

edit: SHOT not the other word 😂😂

Edited by woodford

45 minutes ago, woodford said:

Nice win! Looks like we s*** well. Wasn’t able to watch. Maybe Bruce lit a fire under them. 

Maybe autocorrect got you? 😆 but both could be true 👍 

• Haha 2

I love KD, but he's not helping our offense right now.   He's no longer getting 'seeking contact' fouls when driving out of control to the rim and his 3% is too low.   Wen dropped a decent ball to him in transition that actually was a good scoring or foul opportunity but instead of just taking the ball straight to the basket,  he jacked up some crazy double clutch shot/windmill looking thing that had no chance and did not get fouled.    He needs to take what the play gives him sometimes.     Other teams have caught up to his game and are not going to bail him out as often when driving in like a crazy person looking for contact   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger Time Burrito said:

I love KD, but he's not helping our offense right now.   He's no longer getting 'seeking contact' fouls when driving out of control to the rim and his 3% is too low.   Wen dropped a decent ball to him in transition that actually was a good scoring or foul opportunity but instead of just taking the ball straight to the basket,  he jacked up some crazy double clutch shot/windmill looking thing that had no chance and did not get fouled.    He needs to take what the play gives him sometimes.     Other teams have caught up to his game and are not going to bail him out as often when driving in like a crazy person looking for contact   

If we’re going to compete for a title again, it’s going to require figuring out one of: KD Johnson, acclimating Chance Westry, or completely throwing Tre into the water. I think you need one of those three AND to get the Zep that you’ve gotten today and in the USC game a couple weeks ago (an aggressive one). 

I’d personally prefer dialing back on KD for some Chance minutes, but CBP does love seniority and just playing like a fiend on defense.

Also shoutouts to people who thought Flanigan was only playing because of nepotism. I thought the fella has had some really poor contributions to this point, but I never thought he was playing because of his dad. Virtually all of our ball handlers stunk on offense (except WGJ obv) but Flanigan had the most potential to raise the ceiling of the offense out of them. 

Unless we get high school Westry back, we need Flanigan to play like this to be anything close to a champion again point blank 

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

These refs are calling trash, not calling trash to makeup, and its just compiling 

SEC refs suck!  But how lopsided the calls are makes me think the refs HATE Bruce Pearl and how vocal he is. We are more on the negative side of poor officiating, at our house or in the road, when law of averages would require a balance somehow/somewhere. The UGA game was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen. A lot of non-sensical decisions on calls and non-calls. And guess what, UGA lost the very next game to an average Florida team. Until there is accountability for poor officiating by an independent third party, refs will always continue poor and biased officiating. 

This game showed both the good and the bad of Auburn. When we are shooting well we are tough and can give anybody a game. The bad was in second half the big Freshman PG from Arkansas was getting past our defenders and scored a lot. We also got beat on the boards luckily Arkansas missed a lot of shots at the rim. Super proud of this team they played hard from opening whistle to end of game and also cut down on TO's.  

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Men vs Arkansas Game Thread
7 hours ago, jw 4 au said:

SEC refs suck!  But how lopsided the calls are makes me think the refs HATE Bruce Pearl and how vocal he is. We are more on the negative side of poor officiating, at our house or in the road, when law of averages would require a balance somehow/somewhere. The UGA game was some of the worst officiating I have ever seen. A lot of non-sensical decisions on calls and non-calls. And guess what, UGA lost the very next game to an average Florida team. Until there is accountability for poor officiating by an independent third party, refs will always continue poor and biased officiating. 

The foul calls were 21 to 20. Pretty evenly called. We did have a technical called on us though. 

7 hours ago, jw 4 au said:

Also, Mike White has Bruce's number. He is something like 7-3 against Bruce Pearl. White coached Florida until this season and left to take the Georgia job. If I recall correctly, his Florida team beat us last season when we were ranked #1 in the AP. That knocked us from our #1 spot. He has already won more games this season at Georgia than they did all of last year. When he was at Florida, he always beat Bruce and now at Georgia he still has Bruce's number. Bruce is pretty open about his teams struggling against a Mike White coached team. Mike White is definitely Bruce Pearl's kryptonite.

Edited by TeamZero77

I was overall happy about the outcome of this game. Who can complain about beating the #12 ranked team?

But I'm still confused. We lose to a junky team like UGA, but beat a (supposedly) solid team like Arkansas. Was Arkansas wildly overrated? Was UGA wildly underrated? Was the outcome of both games just a matter of matchups between Jimmys and Joes?

At this point, I can't really get much of a sense of whether Auburn is improving as a team. I'm hoping that, as the season progresses, CBP can pull together a very competitive team in SEC play. Right now, there's just too much inconsistency.

8 hours ago, AURex said:

I was overall happy about the outcome of this game. Who can complain about beating the #12 ranked team?

But I'm still confused. We lose to a junky team like UGA, but beat a (supposedly) solid team like Arkansas. Was Arkansas wildly overrated? Was UGA wildly underrated? Was the outcome of both games just a matter of matchups between Jimmys and Joes?

At this point, I can't really get much of a sense of whether Auburn is improving as a team. I'm hoping that, as the season progresses, CBP can pull together a very competitive team in SEC play. Right now, there's just too much inconsistency.

I think playing at home vs. on the road makes a big difference right now in how this team performs.  Hopefully, our road performance will improve as the team continues to grow.

• Like 1

Great win! Shows how much home court means in college basketball. Also shows that other teams can have bad shooting nights as well so its not just an AU problem. I think that win will do wonders for the psyche of our team. Give them some confidence that they can compete with the top teams in the SEC. Huge shoutout to Flan for his great game. Need that Flan to show up the rest of the way! 

16 hours ago, AURex said:

It's just college basketball for you. Play better some nights than others. We played poorly vs UGA and they played well (L). Vs Arky we played well and they played a little down (W). That is how the season is going to go. I have not seen clear improvement from the team chemistry-wise, which is concerning. I thought the pieces would fit better this season, and we haven't found it yet. However, fit can happen suddenly, with small changes, so don't quit on this group. 

On 1/8/2023 at 8:57 PM, AURex said:

Arky's 5 star isn't playing right now is he? I could be wrong I don't follow them or anything.

The main thing I wanted to see out of this game is how we would defend black. I don't think we did that well but we defended everybody else good. 

Flannigan had this game circled. Arky's basketball politics are very strong and heated. This is the Flannigan I saw before his injury. His potential was greater than many saw. 

My take away from this is still the same right now. We could be very good with an alpha guard that led and inspired.....

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 9:38 AM, cole256 said:

Arky's 5 star isn't playing right now is he? I could be wrong I don't follow them or anything.

The main thing I wanted to see out of this game is how we would defend black. I don't think we did that well but we defended everybody else good. 

Flannigan had this game circled. Arky's basketball politics are very strong and heated. This is the Flannigan I saw before his injury. His potential was greater than many saw. 

My take away from this is still the same right now. We could be very good with an alpha guard that led and inspired.....

The last two games Green seems to have become the Alpha guard that you talk about. In crunch time he made shots or got fouled and made the free throws.  Before you say it that is 2 games and we need to see it on a regular basis. Also I agree that is really three games in a row where Flanigan looked like the old Flanigan. He actually was solid against Georgia and upped his game against Ole Miss and Arkansas. 

I saw a few things that give me hope for Flan. He played smart and within his limits. He didn't get in trouble by driving to far. He took his shots in the flow of the game so muscle memory took over and his shooting form was solid. He didn't telegraph his passes. I think that he if finally healthy both physically and mentally. By mentally he is not thinking about getting hurt when he jumps or does hard stops. I am seeing a confident Flan.

We now have 4 scorers Brrome, Williams, Flan and Green.  I hope Chris Moore is ok as he has been one of our most consistent players.