TJ Finley Returns to Team

toddc

55 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It's been said that Finley is looking to stay at Auburn this semester so he can graduate and then transfer out to play with his brother.  To keep his scholarship he returned to workouts.  I would expect him to transfer after spring ball.  I am happy to see he has an emphasis on graduating.

That could happen, but I do NOT foresee him being around like that if he had no intention of staying here. Again, you could be 100 percent correct. Just wouldn't make much sense from the Auburn football team standpoint.

JMHO, he’s on the team for the Spring so that he can graduate.   If by chance, he happens to be QB1 coming out of spring, he will likely stay with the team.  If he’s not QB1 he will be a graduate transfer in May.   

• Like 3

So sick of the double standard on the board. Landen King opted out and left the team, and everyone accepted it was because of Harsin and player misuse. TJ does the same thing for essentially the same reason and everyone calls him a quitter. The monster here is Harsin, not TJ. He destroyed the team and with it any team mindset. I get it. People don’t think Finley is good. I’m in that camp as well. I don’t think he’s a good QB. But that says nothing about him as a person. He was a kid put in a bad position last year. His comments and his decision to leave were the result of the destruction Harsin caused in the locker room. Stop with the nonsensical personal attacks. There’s supposed to be a rule against that on this forum anyway. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

So sick of the double standard on the board. Landen King opted out and left the team, and everyone accepted it was because of Harsin and player misuse. TJ does the same thing for essentially the same reason and everyone calls him a quitter. The monster here is Harsin, not TJ. He destroyed the team and with it any team mindset. I get it. People don’t think Finley is good. I’m in that camp as well. I don’t think he’s a good QB. But that says nothing about him as a person. He was a kid put in a bad position last year. His comments and his decision to leave were the result of the destruction Harsin caused in the locker room. Stop with the nonsensical personal attacks. There’s supposed to be a rule against that on this forum anyway. 

Would calling someone a Monster be considered a personal attack??? 

But seriously…. The only similarity between TJ and Landon King is they quit the team. I don’t remember Kings dad on a podcast airing out dirty laundry or publicly throwing teammates under the bus. Double standard???? Don’t think so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:10 AM, aubiefifty said:

i posted this thirty minutes ago. i guess you do not look at the articles i post. they are trying to declutter the board some which is why i am doing this.

Sorry fitty, but no one has time to canvass the entire site for a duplicate post. 

On 1/12/2023 at 10:22 AM, cole256 said:

Here's a thought.....Maybe he didn't quit on the team and the stuff you guys heard wasn't true! Nah......it couldn't be that 😂

His own tweets don't exactly support this, but you do you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We haven't pulled a QB from the portal and Hank Brown isn't on campus, so we have a QB shortage for spring training.  TJ could could be a big help with throwing reps, plus he'd get a chance to work for our new staff.

12 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Sorry fitty, but no one has time to canvass the entire site for a duplicate post. 

he used to tell me the same thing. funny how that works swampy.

We need talent at QB. I'm tired of holding back because of the QB as opposed to we are better because of the QB. We haven't had a good QB in a longggg time. That's crazy and we're supposed to be a top tier school

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We need talent at QB. I'm tired of holding back because of the QB as opposed to we are better because of the QB. We haven't had a good QB in a longggg time. That's crazy and we're supposed to be a top tier school

Yeah,  it kind of becomes an energy suck.   BUT....

I have a really good feeling about Hank Brown.   I am a math guy,  so I usually don't base things on "gut feelings" ,  but there is something about Hank that make me think he will be number 2 behind Ashford,  and see A LOT of PT early.   Even as a true Freshman.  Maybe ,  even starting by midseason.   

I can not put my finger on it as to why.   His stats are good,  his highlight vids look good (as do everyone's).   But there is just something about him I like.     There have been  a (very) few true freshmen QB's that have been successful in the SEC.  If he has the acumen, and can learn the playbook,   I think he could lead us by mid season and help us early in the season.

Again,  this is mostly based of "just a feeling" and Highlight vids.

• Like 2

Nothing like ppl falling love with a TrFR 3* and convince themselves he's amazing.  Happens every year, all positions.

Hank Brown plays in a major metropolitan area, for a private school that had a super star HC (now in college), played vs small schools with 500 total kids, mostly bad private religious school competition, probably had the resources to go to any camp/competition he wanted to....yet had virtually no offers that were notable outside Liberty.

Could Hugh be the sole person that could see his true potential & his NFL QB Head coach couldn't convince a single other legit school of said potential?  I guess.  We'll see how he develops, but to expect anything from him in his first two year at a minimum is kinda silly

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Why did you omit Stidham and Bo Nix? They have talent. Oh wait, I know why. Never mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Agree 100%. 
as good as we did in recruiting the portal, the fact that we are going into spring practice with the same three quarterbacks as last spring makes me sick. There is a reason why quarterbacks are paid more than anyone in the sport of football. They are the most Important. 

It is not like freeze is happy with the quarterback situation either. He wanted McCall and wanted him to visit the first weekend available. That McCall situation really hurt badly. How many quarterbacks enter the transfer portal but can’t transfer because of their grades? Can anyone name another quarterback that had this problem …ever? It’s pretty remarkable that this happened to AU. 

obviously we are going to have to be patient but it is a problem this spring for sure. 

Edited by gr82b4au

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Nothing like ppl falling love with a TrFR 3* and convince themselves he's amazing.  Happens every year, all positions.

Hank Brown plays in a major metropolitan area, for a private school that had a super star HC (now in college), played vs small schools with 500 total kids, mostly bad private religious school competition, probably had the resources to go to any camp/competition he wanted to....yet had virtually no offers that were notable outside Liberty.

Could Hugh be the sole person that could see his true potential & his NFL QB Head coach couldn't convince a single other legit school of said potential?  I guess.  We'll see how he develops, but to expect anything from him in his first two year at a minimum is kinda silly

Not falling in love.   Not expecting anything.  Like I tried to make clear,  it is just a gut feeling.    I do not go by gut feeling often.  in fact I  cant think of one time on the board when I didn't stick to stats and fundamentals.  There is just something about this kid that has peaked my interest.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why did you omit Stidham and Bo Nix? They have talent. Oh wait, I know why. Never mind.

Stidham fits in the "good QB" category.  Bo did not

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Not falling in love.   Not expecting anything.  Like I tried to make clear,  it is just a gut feeling.    I do not go by gut feeling often.  in fact I  cant think of one time on the board when I didn't stick to stats and fundamentals.  There is just something about this kid that has peaked my interest.

It was a general comment that many on this board and every fan site across the internet do.  

Just now, W.E.D said:

Stidham fits in the "good QB" category.  Bo did not

Bo is a good to great QB. Check his performance at Oregon this past season. The claim was made that we haven't had a talented QB. Bo Nix is undeniably talented,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Bo is a good to great QB. Check his performance at Oregon this past season. 

We are talking about Auburn, which he never had a season similar to that.  Had a lot of Oregon vs UGA type games

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

This! All of this! Thank you!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhUnq9DhC10

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We are talking about Auburn, which he never had a season similar to that.  Had a lot of Oregon vs UGA type games

He said AU hadn't had a good QB in a long time. That claim is obviously incorrect.

How about you list the games that Bo had at AU where his team lost 49-3. I'll wait.

In Nix's last season here, the team was 6-3 in games he started and finished. 0-4 in games he didn't start and finish. It took a good QB to accomplish that with Harsin coaching. You are talking about the QB who, in 2 &1/2 seasons, set AU's all-time record for total yards. It took Stan White four years to set the previous record. Nix also holds the top 2 AU records for consecutive passes without an interception. To say he wasn't good at AU is plain silly.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

set AU's all-time record for total yards.

It's always a true sign of stupidity when someone uses cumulative stats to prove a point

• Facepalm 2

There’s no sense in arguing. We all want the same thing. We all want a better QB.

Going into spring with the same three quarterbacks is not what anyone wants, including HF. 

• Like 2