RIP David Crosby

AURex

Damn, two rock legends lost in one week. First Jeff Beck and now .......

David Crosby, a founding member of The Byrds and CSN(Y), some notable solo albums, and endless performances as a side due to his incredible voice, dies at 81. On the brink of his 80th birthday, as his new album For Free was being released, he said "Being old is not something to celebrate."

That's understandable, given his years of drug addiction, followed by 3 heart attacks, a liver transplant, diabetes and various other medical issues. His cause of death was only explained as "after a lengthy illness."

Crosby commented several times, with sympathy and remorse, how surprised he was that he had outlived some of his friends -- Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, etc.

I laughed, reading his biography years ago, how he was commonly referred to by Stills and Nash and other friends as "ole tripod" because he seemed insatiable with the opposite sex. But he settled down, happily married for the past 3 decades.

Perhaps not the most creative of musicians in the Byrds and CSN(Y), but with a voice that made him a part of our music history.

• Sad 1

My parents used to comment about all the stars they grew up with dropping away -- and then they left as well. Even my friends who were only a bit older than me who grew up with the "rock and roll" stars like Elvis and Buddy Holly.

Now (being a Boomer) it's our turn. So many of the stars we grew up with have already left us, and there are some true superstars who are getting on up there in age -- hello Dylan, Clapton, Jagger, Caine, Joni, etc. 

Of course, they may outlive us for awhile, as we also march towards our own transition into the ..............

Edited by AURex