Pence has classified documents. Honestly, does anyone actually believe that there is a President or Vice President that doesn't have some documents?

AU9377

20 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

were you in the military homie?

Nope.  Signed up for the draft at 18, got an student deferral then ultimately a high lottery number.  Was willing to go if called, but lucked out in hindsight.....

Edited by homersapien

8 hours ago, GoAU said:

I assume you are referring to my comment about Hillary being prosecuted?  

Im trying to understand your post here - are you referring to her knowledge of the law, or my knowledge of the situation?   If you are referring to my knowledge, I am basing this off the FBI / Comey investigation.  She clearly set up personal servers to circumvent the .gov system - this was not disputed by anyone.   Comey (wrongly) chose not to prosecute, but the facts of her actions with the servers are undisputed.  If you are referring to her not having knowledge- ignorance of the law is not a defense in the handling of classified documents.   And if you believe she did it know, I can assure you she had more than enough training and advisers to keep her from making a “mistake”.  

Her “intent” was also very clear - these were not accidental steps - including her actions to cover it up.  

If you are referring to something else, please clarify.  

No, I was referring specifically to Biden and Pence.

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Intent never mattered in all the cases sited by fiddy and me. Intent never mattered one bit.

Maybe.

Maybe military law is different. 

Maybe in the process of simply handling documents or transferring or transporting them, a lack of intent would be impossible to prove.

But intent and knowledge is a key component in the Biden and Pence cases, like it or not. 

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

just so you understand and i believe you do is non of the three mentioned in all this will see prison because of it. we seem to let our guys get away with stuff when i think a prison sentence or two would do wonders for politics in america. hell right now look at whats happening. trump and others believe they are mostly untouchable. if we would hold our pols accountable we would be better off.

Again, agreed. We will again eat the crap sandwich. I dont have to pretend I like it tho.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, homersapien said:

Maybe.

Maybe military law is different. 

Maybe in the process of simply handling documents or transferring or transporting them, a lack of intent would be impossible to prove.

But intent and knowledge is a key component in the Biden and Pence cases, like it or not. 

military law is way different. once you sign you have less rights than a normal citizen. in fact in the military a lot of your upper ranked guys would often say "there is no doubt in my military mind" and they were not being funny. i think the punishment on a lot of these depends on how sensitive the docs are. i am sure jj and gao understand this. but it does appear from my googling they are not as strict as they used to be when i was in but then the cold war was raging. but as an example one guy got two years probabtion. so maybe all of us are a little bit right maybe.

This is all an issue of mismanagement by the Federal government (both D & R) regarding procedures for dealing with classified materials.

I'm beginning to think that the National Archives should be charged with responsibility for sorting and boxing all materials of all government officials (in Congress and in Executive) to retain all documents that are government property.

These documents should never leave the Capitol and Congressional Buildings. There is no *reason* these materials would need to be "taken home" or otherwise taken out of the core facilities of the Federal government.

I'm now waiting for the National Archives and DOJ to look into classified materials from the Bush/Cheney administration (i.e., all that "evidence" of WMD in Iraq), and whatever Bill & Hillary might have stashed away.

Instead of political posturing, Congress needs to legislate reforms to the entire way in which classified documents are handled within both the Executive and Legislative branches of the Federal government.

• Like 2