Men vs Texas A&M Game Thread

Maverick.AU

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Bama is a legit National title contender. As long as Nate Oats is there, they're going to be a problem in recruiting and on the court. It will be fun to see the Pearl vs Oats battles in the future. 

I hope

Real comprehensive ass kicking there. I understand he tried, but there were just issues fundamentally with running back this exact core of ball handlers with a couple of freshmen sprinkled in. You saw KD go for 0-100 in the A&M game and look like he was playing for the other team down the stretch. There's waterboys more aggressive on offense than Zep. Flanigan. 

I honestly don't think any of the 3 would be the "problem" if they were the clear worst out of this group. If the core as a whole was good, they'd be tolerable. The problem is that THEY are the core. A 6 foot guard who's supposed to be your primary wing defender that you're lucky if you get 3 points from, I don't even know how to DESCRIBE KD, and then a senior forward who peaked 2 years ago on an abysmal team where he had free reign. 

I remember when we had a whiff in Turbo Jones, and we just stopped playing him. And could survive just not playing a negative. Imagine if we just didn't play the negative guards on this team. We'd have Wendell and Berman playing 40 minutes a game, and might even need to dust off Cook from last year's team. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Wow, Tom Hart with the Bama update while we are struggling. Hate ESPN sometimes

Bama played on SEC Network which is part of ESPN/Disney. We were on ESPN2. They give the updates like this all the time, no matter if it's a rival or not. Since Bama started at the same time Auburn did tonight, that's how the updates went. I agree ESPN can pull some shady stuff but this wasn't anything intentional towards Auburn. 

• Like 2

We have some major limitations. There are some teams that will expose those limitations more than others. TAMU is one of those teams that makes it look ugly for us. I've never seen a guard get so flustered by a middle trap like Green tonight. But he had a guy who had a SIGNIFICANT height advantage guarding him every single time he had the ball. Tough spot to be in when we go as Wendell goes. He really looked like a mid-major PG tonight. I know he is better but this was a tough matchup for him

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Bama played on SEC Network which is part of ESPN/Disney. We were on ESPN2. They give the updates like this all the time, no matter if it's a rival or not. Since Bama started at the same time Auburn did tonight, that's how the updates went. I agree ESPN can pull some shady stuff but this wasn't anything intentional towards Auburn. 

Thanks for the update 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Not sure where to start but boy, do we miss a healthy Westry?

I don't think he could've been hyped more as a necessity for this guard stable, but he still might've been understated. Outside of Wendell, just no one else with that combination of real shot creativity, playmaking vision, and sound ball handling. Game was too fast for him in his limited minutes, but you could at least see flashes of that. Zep has been playing since Chance was in MS and he hasn't shown half of what I just described 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We have some major limitations. There are some teams that will expose those limitations more than others. TAMU is one of those teams that makes it look ugly for us. I've never seen a guard get so flustered by a middle trap like Green tonight. But he had a guy who had a SIGNIFICANT height advantage guarding him every single time he had the ball. Tough spot to be in when we go as Wendell goes. He really looked like a mid-major PG tonight. I know he is better but this was a tough matchup for him

Even though it worked, the play where he got trapped and just lobbed it up to Jaylin who was double covered was a sign that Buzz's strategy worked. That's the best play he made against the trap all day. 

As I understand, we run less pick and roll this year to try to avoid these trap situations, but so far, it looks like teams can just throw those out with reckless abandonment and no matter who's the one being trapped, there's no real threat to be burnt 

• Like 1

I was afraid of this. It's tough when your collection of guards enter almost every game in league play seemingly at a disadvantage. Whether it's height, length,  strength, speed, athleticism. Consistently it's 2 or 3 of those qualities. The guards on the better teams play with no fear against us. With Radford (Sr) and Taylor (So) scoring at will, we desperately needed way more out of Flanagan, Williams, and KD tonight. We needed a near perfect game. KD is trying to dial it back some and play more under control. But he does not have the burst to blow by people. Not even taller defenders. He's too easy to guard. Every shot is contested. With his physicality, I'd like to see him utilized as a screener more often. Not only outside, but inside as well. On any defender. Big and small. Free up others while rolling off or stepping back. By the way, all of the top home court winning streaks went by the wayside in the span of 2 weeks. All of them.

• Like 1

I don't understand why Bama is being discussed in this Auburn/A&M thread. Totally non-related and OT.

Anyway, our Tigers just dominated by A&M. I was surprised the difference in score was not greater. AU really had nuthin' offensively or defensively. Aggies deserved the win.

I'm not sure CBP can do much more with this group of guys. IMO, it's not an issue of effort, it's about the talent. And I'm seriously concerned that, once we hit the final stretch in SEC play -- Tenn, Kentucky, Arkansas -- wins are going to be even harder to come by.

I'll always be be screaming for my Tigers. I'm just not real confident about the rest of the season.

Every decent team we have played has beaten us, 2 of them by double digits. 
This team is what it is. We just need to try and get into the tourney. It will be difficult. Our schedule is brutal over the next 6 weeks. 

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Correct. I forget which year it was but I know it was pretty recent, we had gone the entire season without losing at home. Then our final regular season game was at home versus Texas A&M and they beat us. 

I forgot Tamu ousted Auburn in the SEC tournament last year. I hope a trend isn’t developing but obviously Buzz is seeing something and taking advantage of it.

I believe they will make the tournament barring a total collapse.

Edited by e808

What is up with our game threads having a LOT more comments when we lose than win? That’s disturbing to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Every decent team we have played has beaten us, 2 of them by double digits. 
This team is what it is. We just need to try and get into the tourney. It will be difficult. Our schedule is brutal over the next 6 weeks. 

Nope, Arky is terrific and we thumped them. Bad game for us, lots of gloom & doom in this thread - we'll be an ncaa tourny bubble team but geez louis, this is the extreme highs & lows if Pearlball - nothing new y'all. Next up...

Exposed for who we are tonight.  Quality teams gonna put it on us.

Every game gonna be struggle.  Thought the home court would give us a lift.

11 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Exposed for who we are tonight.  Quality teams gonna put it on us.

Every game gonna be struggle.  Thought the home court would give us a lift.

We are an overrated team that could finish fourth in the west alone. BP has a lot to do in recruiting for next year and it now seems Bama and Arky are lapping us. 

14 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

We are an overrated team that could finish fourth in the west alone. BP has a lot to do in recruiting for next year and it now seems Bama and Arky are lapping us. 

Arky? The team we just beat by double digits? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t know much about basketball, so someone explain to me why KD just gets to be as reckless and ineffective as possible with 0 consequences.

Cause he plays hard on defense. That's Pearl's mantra for KD.  Play hard on defense... Bull in a china shop on offense.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What is up with our game threads having a LOT more comments when we lose than win? That’s disturbing to me.

I've noticed this ,too. It's weird in a way. It's like fans expect us to go undefeated in basketball. A&M for the year has been a team that was not a factor at the 3 point line. Then they went off the first half against us. Their guards are bigger and longer than ours, and the way the game was called wasn't beneficial for us with our smaller front court. Aside from maybe playing zone the first half, I don't know what else BP could have done. It was just one of those games. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I do think they are more talented and don’t we still play them one more time? 

No sir. 1 and done Vs them this year. Unless we play them in the sec tourney.