ok so tank is gone so are we better or worse?

aubiefifty

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i posted a video or article this morning that has all of cobbs stats in high school and they are eye popping to me. i think he will be better but i admit i am a novice for the most part. they say he might be a better receiver than running back and he has track speed. and what a hundred TD's rushing and 25 more receiving touchdowns or something like that. some compare him to tre and tre was a warrior and played with heart. i know the transition from high school to college is huge but if he takes that next step holy cow! and i think Jarquez is underrated. plus out line can be no worse and i think we got some good folks for the o line.

Good points. While Cobb HS numbers were great and he might turn out to be even better than Tank. In Tank we know what he can do and that is why I think at this time last years RB room was better than this years. That said it is conjecture and with a whole new O-line  whether last years  RB room was slightly better than this years or not. I don't think it will matter as I expect much better numbers because of an improved O-line assuming all the new pieces gel and meet my expectations which is a huge assumption. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:23 PM, AUINSY said:

I think our RB room on the whole is better now, especially when we take o-line into account and Cobb signing today. I think RB productivity goes up as well. It’s sad though b/c Tank could have been the greatest (besides Bo) to ever come through Auburn. I think it may be better for him in the long run though to get drafted to a better team that has a better o-line than being a top-5/10 pick on to a not-so-great team. Look forward to what he’ll do in the league and he will be almost the only bright spot of AU football in the past 4-5 years. 

I really liked TB as he was durable and a good running back, however, I believe there have been quite a few better at AU than him. Yes, he played behind one of the worst stretches of lines AU has ever had, but I also noticed a big difference between he and Hunter. Tank does not run near as well between the tackles and his speed is not elite.  He wants to bounce it outside, which he had some success at, but in the SEC, many LB’s are actually quicker than the tailbacks. I think currently, we have an extremely talented RB room and they all present their own style. I would never say we are better off, without TB, but I also don’t see a drop off at all. Just my thought. Not a shot at TB at all. He’s definitely a top 15 tailback or so in AU history. 

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

I really liked TB as he was durable and a good running back, however, I believe there have been quite a few better at AU than him. Yes, he played behind one of the worst stretches of lines AU has ever had, but I also noticed a big difference between he and Hunter. Tank does not run near as well between the tackles and his speed is not elite.  He wants to bounce it outside, which he had some success at, but in the SEC, many LB’s are actually quicker than the tailbacks. I think currently, we have an extremely talented RB room and they all present their own style. I would never say we are better off, without TB, but I also don’t see a drop off at all. Just my thought. Not a shot at TB at all. He’s definitely a top 15 tailback or so in AU history. 

Tank is #7 all time in Auburn rushing history. Any other other stretch and he’s easily top 3:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/rushing.html

CE883D46-C238-4429-8186-6C73FBF438A6.jpeg

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:42 AM, aucanucktiger said:

I don't understand this thread. We'll be ok but would be way WAY better with Tank. 

A handful on here, claiming we will have less talent this season than we had last, so they start threads like this to defend their position.

• Like 1

Is there anybody on here that has a reputation for knowing some football thinks we'll have more talent next year?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Is there anybody on here that has a reputation for knowing some football thinks we'll have more talent next year?

Maybe

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe

You want to talk about it? I don't see it but I'd love to discuss it because I'm thinking I probably don't know about some people coming in. 

But for whatever reason it seems if you want to discuss it people I'm guessing may be taking it as a challenge or fight or something....

I'm trying to bring football discussions back to the football forums again

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You want to talk about it? I don't see it but I'd love to discuss it because I'm thinking I probably don't know about some people coming in. 

But for whatever reason it seems if you want to discuss it people I'm guessing may be taking it as a challenge or fight or something....

I have a position by position post somewhere else, believe you liked it.  I do think we have greater talent in some areas vs others might have gotten worse.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

hat has a reputation for knowing some football

You start off a bit hostile and throwing the first punch, just an fwiw

Edited by W.E.D
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Upgraded the OL, which is the biggest positive.  More depth at RB, but obviously lost a superstar.  Addition of Cobb and Battie (?) are big pickups.  All other positions on O are similar talent wise.  If we get a competent portal QB then O will have been significantly upgraded.

Huge ??? is the defense?

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

{{{{{{From another Thread}}}}}}

Offense we lost tank & added a good bit, probably aren't down yet.  I'd say over all up.

Easily the OL as you mentioned, so that's 3 or 4 of the 5 spots on the OL. 
I think we're probably more talented at TE and might have a more dynamic TE we haven't had in a while.
WR is probably a push, added a guy but he's never really done much.
QB is obviously a push, hope this changes during the May window unless magic happens during the spring.
RB I think we've downgraded.  I like Hunter, but ppl over value him & drastically under value Tank

Defense we lost 4 guys that'll get drafted and 3 especially will be difficult to replace (Hall, Leota, Wooden).  Probably say we're down slightly more here than we were up on offense

DL - I think we'll have more depth this year than last with another nose and the DT from Maryland (if healthy) is a really good player.  Added numbers, but losing Wooden hurts
Edge - Biggest miss and probably the biggest drop off of any position group.  Hall & Leota are big losses and we didn't add any SEC contributors.  10 arrows down here
LB - I think we got better with Tolan/Keys addition vs losing only OP.
DB - Push.  CBs will be really solid if they aren't covering for an eternity b/c our pass rush is non existent.

I don't think we made the talent leap a lot of people think, especially when you go position by position.  Hugh did a great job in the portal, but we also lost some key talented players.  

Really need a QB and an edge rusher in may.  The later is probably more of a pipe dream solely b/c teams can get creative and play more than one edge at a time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I have a position by position post somewhere else, believe you liked it.  I do think we have greater talent in some areas vs others might have gotten worse.

You start off a bit hostile and throwing the first punch, just an fwiw

You think so? The post right before me was saying something about a handful of people are trying to say such and such and I was more replying to that. 

Like it shouldn't be a problem voicing opinions if you have logic backing up what you feel. As long as you aren't just trolling or arguing to just argue, or starting something because you don't like the person....I think should be fine

I feel lately it's just if a person is in charge that I don't like I'm going to argue every single thing I can and as soon as someone is in authority that I agree with now I'm calling everybody out for doing anything close to essentially what I've been doing for years.....that just rubs me the wrong way

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

{{{{{{From another Thread}}}}}}

Offense we lost tank & added a good bit, probably aren't down yet.  I'd say over all up.

Easily the OL as you mentioned, so that's 3 or 4 of the 5 spots on the OL. 
I think we're probably more talented at TE and might have a more dynamic TE we haven't had in a while.
WR is probably a push, added a guy but he's never really done much.
QB is obviously a push, hope this changes during the May window unless magic happens during the spring.
RB I think we've downgraded.  I like Hunter, but ppl over value him & drastically under value Tank

Defense we lost 4 guys that'll get drafted and 3 especially will be difficult to replace (Hall, Leota, Wooden).  Probably say we're down slightly more here than we were up on offense

DL - I think we'll have more depth this year than last with another nose and the DT from Maryland (if healthy) is a really good player.  Added numbers, but losing Wooden hurts
Edge - Biggest miss and probably the biggest drop off of any position group.  Hall & Leota are big losses and we didn't add any SEC contributors.  10 arrows down here
LB - I think we got better with Tolan/Keys addition vs losing only OP.
DB - Push.  CBs will be really solid if they aren't covering for an eternity b/c our pass rush is non existent.

I don't think we made the talent leap a lot of people think, especially when you go position by position.  Hugh did a great job in the portal, but we also lost some key talented players.  

Really need a QB and an edge rusher in may.  The later is probably more of a pipe dream solely b/c teams can get creative and play more than one edge at a time.

So that's why I don't think we are more talented. If anything I'm hoping we'll be better coached and as far as offense that should make all of those positions give better production and even with that, I don't think it's necessarily we're more talented even when there is better production. 

So that's why I don't think we are more talented. If anything I'm hoping we'll be better coached and as far as offense that should make all of those positions give better production and even with that, I don't think it's necessarily we're more talented even when there is better production. 

Yes, agree.  I think better coaching/scheme/etc can lead to better production with similar players.  Players also develop...even though they are same.

Offense, outside of RB we upgraded every position.  OL (hopefully) will enable similar players to have much more production.

DL/EDGE probably the only real position we took a step back even though we do have a lot more depth on the DL...conversely have no depth/SEC players at edge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, agree.  I think better coaching/scheme/etc can lead to better production with similar players.  Players also develop...even though they are same.

Offense, outside of RB we upgraded every position.  OL (hopefully) will enable similar players to have much more production.

DL/EDGE probably the only real position we took a step back even though we do have a lot more depth on the DL...conversely have no depth/SEC players at edge

I really wish freeze could be getting the team harsin was getting when he first started before all the transfers and stuff. I think a good coach could have really done something with that roster

I really wish freeze could be getting the team harsin was getting when he first started before all the transfers and stuff. I think a good coach could have really done something with that roster

Lotta words to say "I wish we had Bo Nix at QB"  🤔😁 😁 😁

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lotta words to say "I wish we had Bo Nix at QB"  🤔😁 😁 😁

I'm talking about all the defensive guys actually. The big guy that transferred to miss or miss st I think. The other d line guy. And I feel there was one more guy I'm pretty sure had NFL talent but I can't think of off the top of my head right now. 

We were going to have a good defense

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm talking about all the defensive guys actually. The big guy that transferred to miss or miss st I think. The other d line guy. And I feel there was one more guy I'm pretty sure had NFL talent but I can't think of off the top of my head right now. 

We were going to have a good defense

I honestly can't remember anyone that transferred that was a quality player ready to contribute.

(((goes and looks it up)))

Jaren Handy & Jay Hardy were two that I was really disappointed about losing.  Big talents (out of HS).  One is at Liberty the other is at Charlotte.
Chris Thompson Jr (S) went to USC and was probably a decent loss.  Most thought he would be a starter at S...seems to have become an LB
Newkirk & Truesdale both average backups

I don't see any losses that are NFL talents

2022 Transfers
JJ Pegues would have been nice to grow and probably would have been a decent DT in his 2nd year for us.
Not sure if Lee Hunter ever contributed, but he's a big body who probably had potential.  IDK about contributing last year
Romello Height would be a starter for us in '23.  IDK about NFL

Not defense but I've always been a huge fan of Kobe Hudson on the field and thought he was a big loss.
Tashwan Manning should have started for us in 22

In terms of pure potential production loss...seems like Bo Nix, Tashawn Manning, Kobe Hudson were our biggest losses.  Maybe Height in there too, although he'd still have been a back up last year.

Edited by W.E.D

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I believe the upgrade in overall coaching will yield better results as a whole. Direct talent is a different matter. I think that Tank would have put up insane numbers in 2013-2014 and might be the most talented pure RB we've had since Ben Tate. Hunter has better hands and possibly has more power. I think he will be a genuine threat coming out of the backfield in the pass game. Either Austin or Cobb will have to prove it for me to say they're better than the Tank/Hunter 1/2 punch. 

Speaking on Tank specifically, I would put him in the same college talent level as Ben Tate with the potential to have a good, effective NFL career. He is a pretty good pass blocker and, when give literally anything up front, he has proven that he can hit a hole hard and house it if he makes a man miss. 

• Like 1

I don't know where he ended up but there was a point around mid-season where Tank averaged 0.42 yards before contact. That was good for worst in the entire country. 

That means he did not even get to run half a yard, or basically take one step forward, before he was hit by a defender on his carries. I don't think we even really understand how good Tank is because we never gave him in an opportunity to succeed. I hope he has a long career and makes himself a lot of money 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure if Lee Hunter ever contributed, but he's a big body who probably had potential.  IDK about contributing last year

Lee didn't do jack at UCF last year and I know they expected him to come in and start.

STATS

TOT SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD STF STFYDS KB
14 9 5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Lee didn't do jack at UCF last year and I know they expected him to come in and start.

STATS

TOT SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD STF STFYDS KB
14 9 5 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Probably too much to expect from a RSFR

I don’t understand how…. I mean I hope we are better than we were. But it won’t be because we lost Tank. J Hunter is awesome, probably my favorite player on this team. If he and Tank are equal, you still lose one and we don’t have another one equal to them on the roster. Hunter will have to stay 100% healthy and the freshman will have to be dynamic to get better. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:25 PM, AU-24 said:

A handful on here, claiming we will have less talent this season than we had last, so they start threads like this to defend their position.

well you can take my name off that list. i am not a so called expert and i started this thread because i wanted opinions. last year many said hunter was better than tank but he had seniority. but i was sincere in my question and not defending anything and your wording makes it look like you have a problem with me when you do not that i know of. you could have worded it better.

• Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.869a4401db0d8be16f82f70d5dd6e60b.png
Guess we’ll see what happens! Number two all purpose back in the country.

Jeramiah Cobb

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1