ok so tank is gone so are we better or worse?

aubiefifty

On 2/6/2023 at 9:41 PM, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I believe the upgrade in overall coaching will yield better results as a whole. Direct talent is a different matter. I think that Tank would have put up insane numbers in 2013-2014 and might be the most talented pure RB we've had since Ben Tate. Hunter has better hands and possibly has more power. I think he will be a genuine threat coming out of the backfield in the pass game. Either Austin or Cobb will have to prove it for me to say they're better than the Tank/Hunter 1/2 punch. 

Speaking on Tank specifically, I would put him in the same college talent level as Ben Tate with the potential to have a good, effective NFL career. He is a pretty good pass blocker and, when give literally anything up front, he has proven that he can hit a hole hard and house it if he makes a man miss. 

Good take. Honestly though, I always thought TB ran with much less power to the hole than Tate or Hunter. Not knocking him, but just watching him sometimes, he was not as patient or as effective as the other two mentioned in the post. Was fun to watch him, but he’s not anywhere in my faves of AU tailbacks. And yes, he never had a very good O Line, but he wasn’t the only one. I like our current TB room. 

On 2/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, Old fan 47 said:

Good take. Honestly though, I always thought TB ran with much less power to the hole than Tate or Hunter. Not knocking him, but just watching him sometimes, he was not as patient or as effective as the other two mentioned in the post. Was fun to watch him, but he’s not anywhere in my faves of AU tailbacks. And yes, he never had a very good O Line, but he wasn’t the only one. I like our current TB room. 

Um! Maybe he ran with more power than you thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Top 10 Running Backs in College Football in 2023

Blake Corum Nick Singleton Quinshon Judkins On3.com

Few things help an offense more than a running back that can be dynamic enough to churn out first downs and big plays on his own, so On3 has taken the liberty of ranking the top 10 running backs in college football ahead of 2023.

With spring practice set to begin, the outlook for each team is becoming clearer. Below are the top 10 running backs ahead of the 2023 season, according to On3.

Top 10 Running Backs in College Football

1. Blake Corum, Michigan: Want a guy you can just hand the ball off to and have good things happen? Look no further than Corum, who carried a hefty load in the Michigan backfield. Corum single-handedly beat a couple teams last season, toting the rock 247 times for 1,463 yards and 18 touchdowns. He was a major reason Michigan made a repeat appearance in the College Football Playoff.

2. Quinshon Judkins, Ole Miss: The freshman took the SEC by storm, racking up a wild 1,456 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground for the Rebels. He even showed the versatility to catch the ball out of the backfield, boasting 15 catches for 132 yards and a touchdown. If he can expand those pass-catching abilities further he’ll be a living nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators.

3. Nick Singleton, Penn State: Another of the freshman phenoms last year, Singleton sure didn’t look like a freshman. At 6-foot, 219 pounds he packed a serious punch and Penn State wasn’t afraid to use it. A veritable battering ram at times, Singleton amassed 1,061 yards and 12 touchdowns on just 156 carries as a true freshman.

4. Raheim Sanders, Arkansas: Affectionately dubbed “Rocket,” Sanders exploded onto the scene as a sophomore after getting decent run as a freshman in 2021. He doubled his carries but nearly tripled his yardage output from freshman to sophomore season, totaling 1,443 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground. He also caught 28 passes for 271 yards and two touchdowns, flexing his versatility.

5. Jarquez Hunter, Auburn: Hunter doesn’t have the production of some of the other players on this list, but you have to keep in mind that Auburn was a team essentially going through a coaching change during the season. Hunter is plenty versatile and ran for 668 yards and seven touchdowns, as well as catching 17 passes for 224 yards and two scores. He’ll be a terrific weapon in the hands of Hugh Freeze.

6. Miyan Williams, Ohio State: A junior in 2022, Williams is one of the most experienced players on this ranking of the top 10 running backs in college football. He’s been plenty productive, though, having run for 825 yards and 14 touchdowns last season on just 128 carries. He’s one part of a deadly one-two punch in the Buckeyes’ backfield.

7. TreVeyon Henderson, Ohio State: And part two of that one-two punch is Henderson. Henderson was banged up for much of the 2022 campaign, so his numbers don’t stand up super well to the rest of the list. But the talent is undeniable when he’s healthy. He ran for 1,248 yards and 15 scores as a freshman back in 2021.

8. Donovan Edwards, Michigan: Not to be outdone with a terrific one-two combo in the backfield, Michigan boasts its own with Corum and Edwards. Edwards managed to pile up some impressive yardage on a 7.1 yards per carry average, totaling 991 yards and seven touchdowns on just 140 carries.

9. Trey Benson, Florida State: The first inclusion on our top 10 running backs in college football from the ACC, Benson just narrowly missed the 1,000-yard mark a year ago. He ran for 990 yards and nine touchdowns on 154 carries, sporting an impressive 6.4 yards per carry as the complement to quarterback Jordan Travis. Florida State’s offense should be lethal again.

10. Braelon Allen, Wisconsin: Yet another Big Ten back on our list, Allen was one of the few bright spots during a relatively disappointing 2022 season for the Badgers. He ran for 1,242 yards and 11 touchdowns on the season, while also chipping in 13 catches for 104 yards. At times he single-handedly powered the offense as the passing game went into and out of sync.

• Like 1

See on3 is back deep on their hype train. They were also blowing up over a 700th overall player visiting 

I like Hunter, but lers pump the breaks a little bit

Edited by W.E.D

On 2/7/2023 at 6:11 AM, cole256 said:

So that's why I don't think we are more talented. If anything I'm hoping we'll be better coached and as far as offense that should make all of those positions give better production and even with that, I don't think it's necessarily we're more talented even when there is better production. 

I really didn’t know you thought so highly of Gus Malzone’s recruits versus Hugh Freeze. Good to know though.

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I really didn’t know you thought so highly of Gus Malzone’s recruits versus Hugh Freeze. Good to know though.

Please explain what it is you're trying to say. 

56 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Disengage, disengage, it’s a trap 🪤. 😆 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Disengage, disengage, it’s a trap 🪤. 😆 

personally i think 24 has a crush on cole and it is killing him......................grins

On 3/1/2023 at 10:19 PM, cole256 said:

Come on Cole, dig deep. If last year‘s team was more talented, who recruited the majority of last year‘s team?

Edited by AU-24

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Come on Cole, dig deep. If last year‘s team was more talented, who recruited the majority of last year‘s team?

Let's see, under Gus Cadillac did.  Under Harsin, Cadillac did.  Under Hugh, Cadillac did.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:05 AM, AU-24 said:

Cooks the best damn veal parm this side of the 50 yard line.

B0BD88D5-FF39-4A56-BD66-99C031AFFED7.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 5:52 AM, usf_football43 said:

I played college football for USF. Was I a great player. No. Did I watch a lot of film while playing? Yes. Does it make me an expert? No.

I've seen some good running backs come through USF that ended up in the NFL (Marlon Mack, Andre Hall, D'Ernest Johnson). Where does Battie fit among this group? Next to Marlon Mack (and potentially better). I'm not an NFL guy - however Marlon Mack was a legitimate running back until he had an Achilles tear (1,000+ yard runner in the NFL the year prior to getting injured). If Freeze has half a clue (unlike the previous USF coaching staff - may they burn in hell next to Charlie Strong for running our program into the ground), Battie should get consistent reps in your offense.

Battie is slippery, with excellent hips, peripherial vision and has breakaway speed. His low center of gravity makes him extremely difficult to tackle (he'll rarely take a loss in the back field). He's intelligent (high football IQ from his upbringing as well as a legimitate student in the classroom - good parenting matters). Can he withstand 20+ carries a game in the SEC? Yes. He's a resilient RB that rarely takes a direct hit due to the angles he takes as he hits the hole hard.

Everyone looks at his size as a detriment. It's actually why he is so damn good. Is he your goto running back on fourth and one or the running back you want in at the one yard line? No. Common sense tells you to go with a bigger back in those situations (Force = Mass x Acceleration). If Auburn can figure out their QB situation and actually have a QB that keeps a defensive coordinator honest, Battie will legitimately put up 1,500 yards with your current OL (if he stayed at USF this season, he would have ended up putting up video game numbers this year - we figured out our QB situation after our Baylor transfer got hurt - we have a stud frosh that balled out the last four games of the year and still has all four years of eligibility remaining). If defenses can't stack the box, Battie is going to run wild because it leaves a lot of one-on-one situations which is an OC's dream with a running back like him.  

I truly don't believe Battie had any intentions on transferring from USF - there's USF blood in his family - however Battie sat down and reevaluated his situation with the coaching change (here's hoping the coaching change with Tennessee's coordinator pays off for my alma mater). Battie had other options besides Auburn - however he's a pretty low key individual and the campus at Auburn fit his upbringing (Colorado, Michigan State and Va Tech all pushed hard on him). 

He put on a show at UF last season - however we were a 1-11 team that consistently chased the scoreboard in the second half of most games. By the time our staff figured out how explosive Battie was, the writing was on the wall for their careers. The coaching staff rotated running backs early on with Jaren Mangham (transferred to Michigan State at the end of the season) getting the bulk of the work (until he faked an injury to transfer out). Mangham wouldn't have started when I was playing - which tells me how clueless our coaching staff was with their decision making by platooning Battie.  

Best of luck this season - looking forward to seeing how the Hunter-Battie situation plays out. USF had a transfer years ago that left a bitter taste in my mouth (QB Mike White). Our staff couldn't figure out how to properly utilize him - he was a gun slinger. White ended up in the NFL - good coaching matters.

BYU (3-14-1); Howard (7-105-1); @Florida (17-150-1); @Louisville (9-26-0); ECU (15-96-0); @Cincinnati (23-82-1); Tulane (7-20-0); @Houston (12-106-2); @Temple (19-129-0); SMU (26-145-0); @Tulsa (19-169-1); UCF (19-144-1) 

Great eval and background. 

Although a couple inches shorter, I've always thought he has a little Metcalf in his running style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 1:07 AM, The Freak said:

Let's see, under Gus Cadillac did.  Under Harsin, Cadillac did.  Under Hugh, Cadillac did.

Who hired Cadillac? Also, I believe some are talking about overall team talent, not just the running back room.

Edited by AU-24

I’d say it’s a wash.  Bigsby was good but no drop off with Jarquez getting the bigger load and Damari and Battie getting the lesser load.

i feel bad for tank now watching the new oline versus what he had. i bet he would have gained a third more or more yardage than we he did. just a personal opinion. he dang sure would not have to break as many tackles before he gets started good. they just seemed way better tp me.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, AU-24 said:

Who hired Cadillac? Also, I believe some are talking about overall team talent, not just the running back room.

right now i think we are freaking loaded at running back. and let us not forget our boy coming this fall i think. i believe we are runningback U again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

right now i think we are freaking loaded at running back. and let us not forget our boy coming this fall i think. i believe we are runningback U again.

We’ve got some depth.  
Improved OL is going to make all of those cats look better!!!

• Like 1

Both of you guys are right.  

Losing Tank is not an easy hole to fill and I don’t want to sound unappreciative of his talent and contributions - he was and is AUsome!   But Hunter is a VERY good back in his own right, and there is even more depth.  

The OL also looks to have taken a step in the right direction.   Hope that continues and the running game could be really good.   Under Freeze, a good running game will also help the passing game immensely.