Meanest player at Auburn?

aubiefifty

12 hours ago, alexava said:

Heard years ago Heath Evans was a dick. Surprised about Casher. If I remember right he was like 5’7”. Maybe played for Patriots. Never heard anything about his. character. Also surprised at TRob. 

He wasn't that short I don't think....this happened when I was a freshman and then I was around 5'11/6' and I was taller but not too much more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

God I hated Cherokee stadium

Russellville probably had the nicest Stadium and best field to play on back then. It was like a small collage stadium, and still is today. Several of us was there in 68 i believe that's the year that Russellville had that big game with Muscle Shoals and we had to park a 1/2 mile from the stadium. Seems like that most of the Tri-Cities was there that night...LOL!

• Like 1

I couldn't imagine being scared to walk through Leighton.....well I'd be on my toes on Jarmon lane a bit....but I'm from the Westside of Florence so I'm probably numb to most areas in the quad cities....used to get in a bunch of scuffles in the projects of Sheffield when I'd see my grandmother on my dad's side every now and said.  It's so stupid how the quad cities would rival opposing areas. Having to fight just because you're from the neighboring town is so silly, but dangerous just the same.

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I couldn't imagine being scared to walk through Leighton.....well I'd be on my toes on Jarmon lane a bit....but I'm from the Westside of Florence so I'm probably numb to most areas in the quad cities....used to get in a bunch of scuffles in the projects of Sheffield when I'd see my grandmother on my dad's side every now and said.  It's so stupid how the quad cities would rival opposing areas. Having to fight just because you're from the neighboring town is so silly, but dangerous just the same.

Different era way back then Cole I reckon. I have 2 grandchildren that graduated from Colbert County and were in the band. Never messed around Sheffield much. Had more trouble in Tuscumbia than anywhere else because those goobers at Deshler thought they were so much better than us ole country boys at the Heights. Guess they couldn't stand the fact that we a Tuscumbia address too...LOL!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Russellville probably had the nicest Stadium and best field to play on back then. It was like a small collage stadium, and still is today. Several of us was there in 68 i believe that's the year that Russellville had that big game with Muscle Shoals and we had to park a 1/2 mile from the stadium. Seems like that most of the Tri-Cities was there that night...LOL!

The Muscle Shoals game was 69 I was hurt and couldn't play in the game. Yep that broke our winning steak of 44 games and still haunts my best friend to this day who fumbled to let them score the winning TD. He later went to Auburn on a Football scholarship.

And yes the stadium is like a small college and  was packed for games usually around 10,000 to 12,000 fans back then. We had some good teams

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cctiger said:

Different era way back then Cole I reckon. I have 2 grandchildren that graduated from Colbert County and were in the band. Never messed around Sheffield much. Had more trouble in Tuscumbia than anywhere else because those goobers at Deshler thought they were so much better than us ole country boys at the Heights. Guess they couldn't stand the fact that we a Tuscumbia address too...LOL!

Everything was compacted it Colbert Co. Stadium. Seats were right on top of the field

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Bunyan BBQ,can't beat the slaw dogs

• Like 1

He wasn't that short I don't think....this happened when I was a freshman and then I was around 5'11/6' and I was taller but not too much more. 

I could be confusing him with someone else. Been a while. 

It was Rodney Crayton that was that short that I had him confused with. They played opposite each other and were pretty good until they faced a 6’2” guy. Maybe both played in NFL for a short while. 

49 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That's my great uncle. He's passed now but he was my great uncle

• Like 2
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, alexava said:

It was Rodney Crayton that was that short that I had him confused with. They played opposite each other and were pretty good until they faced a 6’2” guy. Maybe both played in NFL for a short while. 

Gotcha. Yeah when I had that interaction with him I'm not sure if he still played then or was getting into coaching or something like that. I figured he was some years older than me, didn't know how many though

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, cctiger said:

Phil Gargis no doubt had to be one of the meanest and toughest. Didn't want to be caught in Leighton Al. after dark, especially if you didn't have on a letterman jacket with that big gold "C" on it. 

I played college baseball with Phil Gargis’ nephew. He was the nicest guy on the team. He went to Deshler if I’m not mistaken..

We had a couple of guys on the team from Colbert Co.. They told us that everyone mispronounced Colbert... said it was pronounced Call bert..

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I played college baseball with Phil Gargis’ nephew. He was the nicest guy on the team. He went to Deshler if I’m not mistaken..

We had a couple of guys on the team from Colbert Co.. They told us that everyone mispronounced Colbert... said it was pronounced Call bert..

That would be correct

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 10:23 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

He grew up hauling hay in the summers. Square ones, not the big round ones they move with tractors.

As did I, and I am certainly not in the running!

I have occasionally posted my thoughts on this forum (even before it was aufamily.com; was it wareaglenation? and something before that I don't remember?) and @cctiger and @augolf1716 both reflect the history of the support for Auburn football and the university, which have not always been aligned.

I greatly enjoy that the banter back and forth (even if I'm not caught up with it) is always without malice. That separates this forum from the vast, vast majority of other team forums. We are all Orange & Blue; even if we argue about the process, the goals are the same.

That I've ever seen:

Meanest player: Nick Farley

Meanest player pound for pound: Jason Miska

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Yes, that's how the locals pronounce it. 

Yep. And it for sure ain't pronounced like that ignorant late-night host COLDBEAR(Colbert). What a jerk.

Edited by cctiger

On 2/13/2023 at 3:48 PM, cctiger said:

Golf, that was pretty good dough for hay hauling back then. We hauled for a Mr. Bailey and a few others back then and he only paid .50 cents an hour! Hauled a many a bale of hay for that old man up around Littleville, Spring Valley, and New Bethel over a 3 year period. I'd like to have got in on some of that dollar an hour hauling...LOL! 

You must be an ole Colbert County fella 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:20 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

No doubt about it!  I’m from that area, but from out in the country.  Still love some Bunyan’s though!

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 5:40 PM, Son of A Tiger said:

Yep that was Dismukes throwing Rueben Foster out of the Skybar. Foster was an Auburn High guy supposedly committed to AU. But bama offered his momma a deal she couldn't turn down. She had a little store out on highway 14. Foster was trying to get other AU commits to change to bama with him and Dismukes threw him out of the Skybar. Foster officially flipped to bama the next day and momma's store suddenly closed.

I never heard this story. Dismukes must be enshrined in the Valauburn Hall of Honof fo this one.

• Haha 1