We can be great:' Dominant softball team crushes Illinois

'We can be great:' Dominant Auburn softball team crushes Illinois

ByPhillip Marshall 19 hours ago

Aspyn Godwin hit a 2-run homer, her second of the season. (Photo: Auburn University)

Junior right-hander Maddie Penta was overwhelming in the circle again. Auburn hitters swung hot bats, hitting three home runs. When it was over, when Illinois had been taken down 10-0 in five innings, softball coach Mickey Dean said his sixth Auburn team can do much more.

“I told them I didn’t care what the score was, I liked our team today,” Dean said. “I liked the way they were around each other, the way they supported each other. That is what I like to see. We are a good team right now, but we can be a great team. That’s in our hands.”

Auburn finished 4-1 in the NFCA Leadoff Classic in Clearwater, Fla. The only loss came 8-7 to Pittsburgh when Dean sent his No. 4 and No. 5 pitchers to the circle. In  the other games, the Tigers were dominant, not giving up a run. They beat St. John’s 6-0, Fordham 9-0, Indiana 9-0 and Illinois 10-0.

Penta was too much for them all. In 15 scoreless innings, she struck out 31, gave up seven hits and walked three. She got three wins. She leads the SEC in strikeouts.

“It’s not about all that,” Dean said. “She can be great. She can be something people haven’t seen before. That’s what I am looking at.|

Penta said she was focused on her third Auburn team having success.

“Now that I am a junior, I have more of a leadership role, more of a guiding role for the sophomores and the freshman. I try to make sure I am being a great teammate. Handling business. “

Junior Shelby Lowe, coming back strongly from offseason forearm surgery, gave up one hit and struck out eight. She did not walk a batter.

Sophomore Annabelle Widra, a transfer from Michigan, pitched a two-hit shutout in the tournament opener. She struck out struck out 10 and issued no walks.

“We have a great staff,” Penta said. “I got a lot of help. We have some very talented ladies on this team. Annabelle did a great job. Shelby and I worked together real well. “

In Sunday’s finale, senior Aspyn Godwin hit a two-run homer, her second. Widra, getting the start at third base, hit her second home run. Sophomore Icess Tresvik, a transfer from North Carolina A&T, hit her first Auburn home run.

Widra finished 2-for-3 with three RBIs. Sophomore Nelia Peralta was 2-for-3 with an RBI and batted .500 for the tournament. Senior Carlee McCondichie was 2-for-2 with an RBI and batted .533 for the tournament.

20COMMENTS

In four innings, Penta gave up two hits, struck out nine and walked one. Lowe closed it out with a perfect fifth inning.

Auburn returns to the field for its home opener Friday at 3 p.m. against Austin Peay in the Tiger Invitational. The Tigers play Villanova on Friday at 5:30 p.m. On Saturday, they play Villanova at 3 p.m. and Dayton at 5:30 p.m. On Sunday, they play Austin Peay at 2:30 p.m.

• Like 1

This seems to be a generous article by Phillip Marshall at this point in the season.  I hope coach is correct.  The teams we played this weekend came out of the tournament with the following records.  2022 all game win % in parentheses. 

St Johns 1 - 3 (.255)

Fordham 1 - 4 (.577)

Pittsburg 3 - 1 (lost to Indiana) (.341)

Indiana 3 - 1 (.551)

Illinois 2 - 3 (.607)

• WarTiger changed the title to We can be great:' Dominant softball team crushes Illinois