Offense muscles No. 21 softball to run-rule victory over Illinois

auburntigers.com

Offense muscles No. 21 softball to run-rule victory over Illinois

Auburn University Athletics
3–4 minutes

CLEARWATER, Fla. – Powered behind three home runs, No. 21 Auburn softball (4-1) muscled its way to 10-0 victory over Illinois (2-3) in five innings at Eddie C. Moore Complex in Sunday's NFCA Leadoff Classic finale.

"I told the team that I didn't care what the score was and that I didn't care who won or loss," said head coach Mickey Dean. "I just really liked our team today. I liked the way they were around each other and supported each other. We're a good team. We can be a great team. That's in our hands."

After a scoreless first inning, the Tigers put on multiple in the second, third and fourth innings behind a total of 11 hits. Aspyn Godwin, Icess Tresvik and Annabelle Widra all slugged home runs Sunday.

Widra was one of three Tigers to record multiple hits against the Fighting Illini. The utility standout went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and three RBI. Nelia Peralta and Carlee McCondichie both knocked a pair of hits at the top of the order.

Carrying the Auburn pitching staff to its fourth shutout of the weekend, Maddie Penta (3-0) struck out eight batters to pick up the first eight outs of the game. Penta closed the contest with nine strikeouts.

"Surprisingly, everything was working," Penta said. "My rise ball and my drop ball, which is a new addition to my pitching arsenal, usually don't work on the same day, but today, they both worked."

The right-hander scattered a pair of hits and issued a lone walk. Penta combined for three shutouts over opening weekend with her bullpen counterpart Shelby Lowe. Lowe tossed a perfect frame in the fifth to preserve the shutout.

A double from Lindsey Garcia led off Auburn's big second inning as the Tigers would send nine batters to the plate. Widra gave Auburn its first lead of the game with a single to shallow left to score Garcia.

KK MCrary displayed her speed swiping third and beating out a throw to the plate as the Illini elected to go for the tag on a ground ball to deep second. Hot-hitting Nelia Peralta continued doing damage at the top of the lineup, singling to right to extend the lead to 3-0.

Auburn scored its fourth run of the second inning as McConichie smacked a shot back to the pitching circle, beating it out for an infield single and an RBI.

The big bombers came to the plate in the third inning as Godwin slugged her second home run of the season with a two-run blast. Tresvik made the most of her first hit as a Tiger as he added a solo home run in the inning.

McCrary kept the scoring going in the fourth as she roped an RBI double down the line to left to put the Tigers in run-rule territory. Widra delivered the third Auburn homer of the contest, pushing the lead to its decisive 10-0 margin.

Auburn returns to the Plains next weekend, hosting Austin Peay, Villanova and Dayton for the Tiger Invitational. The Tigers open the tournament against Austin Peat on Friday at 3 p.m. CT before taking on Villanova at 5:30 p.m. CT.

Pitcher of the Week

2.png&w=72&h=72&transparent=true Maddie Penta, Auburn

Penta, a junior right-hander from Chesapeake City, Md., was named to the NFCA Leadoff Classic All-Tournament Team after recording three of Auburn's four wins during the tournament. Penta struck out 31 batters in 15.0 innings pitched over the opening weekend and held her opponents to a .127 batting percentage. She is now the fifth player in program history to surpass 400 career strikeouts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

"Surprisingly, everything was working," Penta said. "My rise ball and my drop ball, which is a new addition to my pitching arsenal, usually don't work on the same day, but today, they both worked."

Found this interesting.  She has added some finesse to her hard throwing style.  No wonder she was practically unhittable this weekend.  Rise, changeup, now drop ball.  Nasty.

I had heard she was working on a drop in fall ball.  Now she can attack all planes in the strike zone.  As CMD said, the progress she's made since her freshman year is amazing.  She is going to be tough this year.

• Like 1