2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

If Bruce deemed him too expensive last year and not worth the NIL. Why would he all of a sudden think he's worth $$$$

From my interpretation at the time, it was “he’s too expensive relative to what we’re already paying and Tennessee offering a significantly higher amount”. That was a class with two fringe 5 stars and a core Pearl seemed to trust to a very high degree 

Phillips with being only 1 year older, having shown at least value as a rotation player in the SEC, and with not being 6’4 (this might be more of a pro to me than Pearl) should have at least as much value if not more imo 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

54 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

So does anyone know whats going on? Who we are targeting now and in what order? Are we expecting resolution anytime soon?

Feel like you know the answer to some of this already. We want Lawrence & expect him to decide after the G League Summer thing is over. Haven't seen sourced info AU will go after Julian Phillips but wouldn't be surprised if we did if we could get him to play immediately. We would like another big for depth but haven't seen any nams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Feel like you know the answer to some of this already. We want Lawrence & expect him to decide after the G League Summer thing is over. Haven't seen sourced info AU will go after Julian Phillips but wouldn't be surprised if we did if we could get him to play immediately. We would like another big for depth but haven't seen any nams.

Yeah, you're right, I did. But I'm like a nervous 5 year old and after not hearing confirmation of anything for a week and a half and seeing the Phillips news break, I wanted someone to give me an update. I've found if I cry loud enough, you usually get me to shut up with a morsel of information.

Ad gif. A man wearing a red Sound FX Automotive company polo shirt swings his arm around like he's pitching a baseball and ends with finger guns. Text, "I appreciate you!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Am I the only person that might be more excited about the prospect of Lawrence than Phillips?

I agree. Phillips is not a good 3-point shooter. I think Lawrence is the better player. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Am I the only person that might be more excited about the prospect of Lawrence than Phillips?

There's quite a few people I would think - he's the guy who we've recruited hardest recently, he can potentially be an offensively juggernaut, and his statistical production eclipses Phillips. I would go so far as to say there's significantly more Auburn fans who'd want Lawrence than Phillips, even if I'm not in that camp myself 

41 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Nope!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

I think Phillips has a lot of upside potential.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

I would be much more excited about the prospect of Lawrence as a shooting guard. The prospect of Lawrence as a 6’4” small forward causes me some concern. Especially if he’s in the same rotation with our 6’7” power forward 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

If Bruce deemed him too expensive last year and not worth the NIL. Why would he all of a sudden think he's worth $$$$

Last year, we had AF as the returning starter at the 3, and NIL is not just who you are bringing in but how it impacts who you already have.  Phillips is a border line 2nd round NBA draft pick this year, and we now have a big hole at the 3 that needs to be filled.   I seriously doubt we can work out the SEC transfer after the deadline, but I'm sure Bruce would love to have him.  About Phillips only fault is he is not a good 3 point shooter. And he is very likely a 1 and done with whatever new team he chooses. That said, the staff seems completely sold on Lawrence.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, W.E.D said:

Perhaps his struggles last year lowered the price.

On 5/11/2023 at 10:46 AM, KansasTiger said:

So does anyone know whats going on? Who we are targeting now and in what order? Are we expecting resolution anytime soon?

Lawrence and Philips are being targeted.

There will be a vote later this month to do away with the May 1 deadline 

I'd assume sometime after they've concluded their draft workouts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FWIW JGT says the mystery man he was referring to was Case Morcell from NC State. Gave his name out today because it looks like Morcell will stay in the draft.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

FWIW JGT says the mystery man he was referring to was Case Morcell from NC State. Gave his name out today because it looks like Morcell will stay in the draft.

Guy about 11pts was the secret savor?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🤔 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Guy about 11pts was the secret savor?

Nobody ever said nor implied the secret player was a savior. Just that we had a mystery man we were waiting on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

😂 😂 😂 😂 Hoke the joke strikes again

@Tiger you do realize we’re talking about info that came from JGT and not Hoke right?

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If that’s who he wanted over Denver, that looks to be pretty much fine with me. If that’s who Pearl wanted as a starting 3, there’s something wrong with him 

Denver was a take immediately. We never looked at anyone above him. Not sure where that line of thinking came from.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Denver was a take immediately. We never looked at anyone above him. Not sure where that line of thinking came from.

The point was, if they looked at this guy as the primary option for the 2 guard spot (who ended up being Denver), that would've made some sense. 

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Tiger you do realize we’re talking about info that came from JGT and not Hoke right?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, ellitor said:

jim-halpert-face.gif

Interesting that no one else ever mentioned that name...ever

• Like 1
  • Haha 2