Our Chance In The Dance?

ArgoEagle

I feel tonight's game is a prognosis of our chances in the Big Dance. If we play a team with smaller guards_ we have a decent shot at winning 1or 2..If they have bigger guards (ala Arky and UK, then we don't have much hope..

Edited by ArgoEagle

We may not even get to the Big Dance this year. It would be a slap to CBP, but may be an eye opener. I’m tired of being embarrassed repeatedly—always falling behind 15 points in first half due to lack of effort and intensity. And then miraculously playing madman catch-up to lose over and over the last month by anywhere from 2 to 5 points in each game.

• Like 1

Another "good" loss may get us into the dance.

Wouldn't be surprised if we punched our ticket to the NIT tonight

13 minutes ago, Deutschetiger said:

Auburn has the worst guards in basketball and Pearl is turning into Terry Bowden.

Well, I mostly agree with you here. It does resemble Bowden's skill players his last 2 yrs. at AU.  I think you can get away with 1 small guard, but not 3. Donaldson has decent size, but is just not an impact player yet.. It worked well with our guards in our Final 4 run BC brown was 6'2" and could shoot the lights out, but not this bunch.

• Like 1

I’d like to get in and get a W before we are soundly trounced in the 2nd round. We could feel better about things and hopefully start looking forward to some portal help for next year. 

• Like 3

Assuming that losing to a projected 9, our fellow seed brethen, by a bucket, doesn't drop us, I think we'll probably have a very comparable matchup at 8. You pretty much gotta hope you're up by double digits going into the last minute, and I don't think we'll be handily better than anyone better than us (on paper). 

I'm hoping for second round exit, but I can't predict us to beat anyone with the lack of consistent focus on either end and just below average floor general play away from home

I hope this loss pulls us down to a 10 seed. We really need to play a team with small guards or maybe a mid major opponent could allow our overall athleticism to be a difference maker in the first round

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I hope this loss pulls us down to a 10 seed. We really need to play a team with small guards or maybe a mid major opponent could allow our overall athleticism to be a difference maker in the first round

At 20-12, I honestly don’t think we deserve to get a bid. This is not a team worthy of making the big tourney. 

11 hours ago, AUGoo said:

We are in the NCAAT. Nothing changes that at this point.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

At 20-12, I honestly don’t think we deserve to get a bid. This is not a team worthy of making the big tourney. 

@Old fan 4768 teams have to get in. Us and teams with worse resumes than us will get in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Old fan 4768 teams have to get in. Us and teams with worse resumes than us will get in.

This is true. I just don’t see us winning a game. BP has some serious issues to correct in the off season. 

24 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

This is true. I just don’t see us winning a game. BP has some serious issues to correct in the off season. 

We can beat any 7 or 8 seed.

I don't feel like we win a game in the tournament but at least the guys can say they made it. I have faith that Bruce will correct the issues at guard but I won't miss this "collective" team next year. What I do miss are those 12-0 sixty second runs that the 2019 team could deliver to knock an opponent out every time they tried to pull close. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@au701948We are 100% in the NCAA Tourney field and in every bracketology projection. The Vol win locked us in.

I agree with you on that for sure. I just have little hope that we will be able to muster much success with the current group of players. And I am usually guilty of seeing Auburn through my Orange and Blue glasses.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I don't feel like we win a game in the tournament but at least the guys can say they made it. I have faith that Bruce will correct the issues at guard but I won't miss this "collective" team next year. What I do miss are those 12-0 sixty second runs that the 2019 team could deliver to knock an opponent out every time they tried to pull close. 

If we are lucky maybe he can revive that possibility in the portal. It’s a disappointment that 2023 recruiting was underwhelming.

12 hours ago, Deutschetiger said:

Auburn has the worst guards in basketball and Pearl is turning into Terry Bowden.

Allow me to direct you to this thread:

• Like 1

be great to win 1 and play close 2nd (like the 2nd half of regular season).  we aren't terrible but not great/consistent either.  gonna depend on the draw and team's focus + effort (which lacked for 25+ minutes last night)

I fully expect Bruce to make the adjustments he needs to in order to turn around this team. I expect him to open up 5+ scholarship spots for new transfers. As you can see over in the BBall recruiting thread, we are aggressively contacting new players as they enter the portal, which is already a stark contrast to last year. I post on here and am often critical of Bruce. I think his gameplan against Arky was confusing, the zone was executed so poorly, and he stuck with it for far too long after it was apparent it was a blown gameplan. That's a different discussion. 

But right now, at this time, Bruce is showing me he is going to do what he needs to do roster wise, atleast. So I feel better.

As for our chances in the dance this year? Do yourself a favor and lower any expectations you have. The tourney amplifies the importance of guard play. I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

It’s a disappointing finish, but they have pretty much played dead even with every team except UK, and that includes legitimately great NET teams like UTk, UA, A&M, even Arky is top 20. 

CBB does reward good losers, thankfully 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

I honestly think we deserve to get a bid because of our NET ranking.  If we lose the opening round like 32 other teams will, we still have deserved a bid.

Our NET ranking is what counts. Other indicators such as pride are not used by the selection committee. I think you should be a supporter and use the same rating system that the judges use. Otherwise, it is not logical.  

Edited by Auburn93

16 hours ago, au701948 said:

We may not even get to the Big Dance this year. It would be a slap to CBP, but may be an eye opener. I’m tired of being embarrassed repeatedly—always falling behind 15 points in first half due to lack of effort and intensity. And then miraculously playing madman catch-up to lose over and over the last month by anywhere from 2 to 5 points in each game.

We are going to the NCAA tournament. 

16 hours ago, AUGoo said:

We are going to the NCAA tournament. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

That is not sane reason to not accept an NCAA bid.  

• Thanks 1