Our Chance In The Dance?

ArgoEagle

17 hours ago, au701948 said:

We may not even get to the Big Dance this year. It would be a slap to CBP, but may be an eye opener. I’m tired of being embarrassed repeatedly—always falling behind 15 points in first half due to lack of effort and intensity. And then miraculously playing madman catch-up to lose over and over the last month by anywhere from 2 to 5 points in each game.

What? Where did you hear this? I've been under the impression that we are a lock for an invitation to the Big Dance and should be somewhere between an 8 and 10 seed.

2 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

What? Where did you hear this? I've been under the impression that we are a lock for an invitation to the Big Dance and should be somewhere between an 8 and 10 seed.

We're fine to get in the dance.

3 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

As for our chances in the dance this year? Do yourself a favor and lower any expectations you have. The tourney amplifies the importance of guard play. I'll just leave it at that.

My expectations are:

Floor - Lose in the first round

Ceiling - Upset a 1 or 2 seed in the second round because we get hot shooting while they get cold, and then lose in the Sweet Sixteen

Prediction - Lose in the second round

How on par are my expectations with where you're at?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CT Tiger said:

My expectations are:

Floor - Lose in the first round

Ceiling - Upset a 1 or 2 seed in the second round because we get hot shooting while they get cold, and then lose in the Sweet Sixteen

Prediction - Lose in the second round

How on par are my expectations with where you're at?

I might agree with you if we got to play this game at home. Without seeing the draw, 40% chance we win first round. Drops precipitously after that. I expect the first game to be close, but without home court to boost our confidence and shooting, I would expect a close loss. Why predict something different than what we have been seeing all year?

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Why predict something different than what we have been seeing all year?

Exactly 

It’s all about the draw - I think this team will be rested and come out hungry in the 1st round. With the right draw I think we can upset a couple of teams and get to the 2nd weekend. I don’t see us getting past the Sweet 16.

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU will win first 2 games in the tournament and then take a dump 

What's our signature wins? The arky team that just beat us on a neutral court? The Tennessee team without their starting pg that is in a downward spiral (who just lost to mizzou by 8)? Sadly, I don't think we're that good. 

The mizzou win was a good team win but we shot lights out like we havent seen before or since then. I just dont think one complete game is enough to translate to success in the dance.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Thanks 1

I think they have a shot if they can win in two of the three things areas which is turnovers, free throws and rebounds. Thus far they normally fail in two sometimes all three

For whatever reason, this team reminds me of the 2002-03 basketball team. The two games that I went to that year were close home losses where we couldn’t get over the hump - 3-point losses to Tennessee & Florida at home. That team finished 22-12 (8-8 in SEC play), but they didn’t have any big wins. Dickie V didn’t even think they should’ve made it to the dance as we snuck in as a 10-seed.

But they beat 7-seed St Joseph’s in OT of the 1st round, and then they upset 2-seed Wake Forest in the round of 32. The magic run finally came to an end when they lost to eventual National Champion Syracuse by 1 point (79-78). It’s all about match-ups, and this team has fought hard all year. We have experienced players that will hopefully be looking to make a statement as an huge underdog in the Big Dance. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

That is not sane reason to not accept an NCAA bid.  

Maybe not, but watching this team this year has certainly tested my sanity. I never meant we shouldn’t accept a bid, I just feel we really didn’t have but 2 strong wins this year. Arky and TN and that’s not a strong resume in my opinion. 

Personally, I don't think we deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament this year.  But as sure as I say that, we'll get invited and end up making the Sweet 16...

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

Maybe not, but watching this team this year has certainly tested my sanity. I never meant we shouldn’t accept a bid, I just feel we really didn’t have but 2 strong wins this year. Arky and TN and that’s not a strong resume in my opinion. 

Don’t forget NW and Mizzou. Nw was very ugly by that turned out to be a very valuable W

3 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

It’s just bigger than who you beat. If the evaluation of how you performed (both in losses and wins), didn’t come into play, there’d basically be no value in competing for any mid majors (unless they play a ton of elite teams). Even with the current ACC, UVA basically got to rest for 3 months if you only looked at who they played. Performance matters 

Auburn performed in a top 68 manner, which they deserve to be rewarded for. For the dearth of quality wins, they’ll be rightfully docked by having to play a higher seeded team 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

19 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

For whatever reason, this team reminds me of the 2002-03 basketball team. The two games that I went to that year were close home losses where we couldn’t get over the hump - 3-point losses to Tennessee & Florida at home. That team finished 22-12 (8-8 in SEC play), but they didn’t have any big wins. Dickie V didn’t even think they should’ve made it to the dance as we snuck in as a 10-seed.

But they beat 7-seed St Joseph’s in OT of the 1st round, and then they upset 2-seed Wake Forest in the round of 32. The magic run finally came to an end when they lost to eventual National Champion Syracuse by 1 point (79-78). It’s all about match-ups, and this team has fought hard all year. We have experienced players that will hopefully be looking to make a statement as an huge underdog in the Big Dance. 

The one thing about Auburn is that they play in a conference that is very physical and has very tight whistles. Very heavyweight type of fighters 

If they can go out there and get a good whistle, they definitely have the aggression that very few conferences generally embrace. Now, they’re obviously going to have some things they see that they won’t get out the SEC (the shooting in this conference is atrocious), but there’s definitely some type of teams out there I’d love to see Auburn against 

Those Colgate, volume 3 point shooting squads with a bunch of small, quick boys. We got a shot imo 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The one thing about Auburn is that they play in a conference that is very physical and has very tight whistles. Very heavyweight type of fighters 

If they can go out there and get a good whistle, they definitely have the aggression that very few conferences generally embrace. Now, they’re obviously going to have some things they see that they won’t get out the SEC (the shooting in this conference is atrocious), but there’s definitely some type of teams out there I’d love to see Auburn against 

Those Colgate, volume 3 point shooting squads with a bunch of small, quick boys. We got a shot imo 

We agree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

We agree.

I think there’s been such an over correction in the sentiment around this team that it’s kind of nauseating. We have maybe four legitimately bad losses. Two non Quad 1/2 losses and two blowouts to arguably some of the hottest teams in the SEC (A&M/UK). 

That makeup of a team, no matter the lack of legit wins, shouldn’t be passing on a NCAA appearance. I also personally believe many of our fans watch exclusively SEC basketball, and the guys we mainly call rivals, who are all typically really good, and don’t know what a really bad team looks like.

• Like 1

We have a puncher’s chance to do some damage. Yes, this has been a disappointing season, but this is the same team that lead the #1 team in the country by 17 on their home floor less than 2 weeks ago. Every year, you see unexpected teams make deep runs. That said, we’re more likely to make a 1st round exit than anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1