Pitt Preview in SI

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

I am glad that we don't have players making statements like this:

H.B. Blades wants to set the record straight: He does not throw punches at the bottom of the pile. He does admit to, among other things, digging elbows into rib cages, gouging eyes and picking noses (opponents', not his), acts he laughs off as "harmless stuff." The junior linebacker and scion of the football-playing Blades family -- his dad, Bennie, and uncles Brian and Al first were notorious yappers at Miami, then in the NFL -- could win the Heisman if it were awarded for trash talk. "Against Boston College last year I was in their players' ears the whole time," he says. "They got so mad, they went to the refs."

All of this comes from a guy who off the field draws as much attention as a sleeping cat and eschews campus parties to spend time with his eight-month-old twin girls, Aalyah and Takaia. "I can't explain this Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde thing," Blades says. "Maybe it's pent-up aggression from every-day life. Everybody just thinks I'm an angry kid."

Here is the whole article:

PITT

For those that don't remember the blades brothers, they were some of the more "thuggish" and "ghetto" miami players under schnellenberger and johnson in the 80s. I believe that they (once the 5 year window had closed of course) both blew the whistle about illegal recruiting and gifts at the upstanding learning institiution that is the U of M.

Glad to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Seriously, I have noticed a lot more of this kind of thing in the last 2-3 years. Most recently I noticed it in the SECCG (that was replayed on FSS this weekend). It seemed that on every tackle where the utee player ended up on top of our ballcarrier, they finished the play using their forearm, either on the helmet or back of the neck, to drive the offensive player into the ground that much harder, and add pressure to certain parts of the anatomy. It's not illegal, but it's needless and cheap.

For those that don't remember the blades brothers, they were some of the more "thuggish" and "ghetto" miami players under schnellenberger and johnson in the 80s. I believe that they (once the 5 year window had closed of course) both blew the whistle about illegal recruiting and gifts at the upstanding learning institiution that is the U of M.

Glad to see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Seriously, I have noticed a lot more of this kind of thing in the last 2-3 years. Most recently I noticed it in the SECCG (that was replayed on FSS this weekend). It seemed that on every tackle where the utee player ended up on top of our ballcarrier, they finished the play using their forearm, either on the helmet or back of the neck, to drive the offensive player into the ground that much harder, and add pressure to certain parts of the anatomy. It's not illegal, but it's needless and cheap.

174171[/snapback]

Heck, I watched the SECCG again too, and one of their big ole D hogs stepped on JC's hand!!!! Accidentally, of course. They were more sly about it, and I didn't see it as well in person...BUT I was at the Sugar Bowl and could see how dirty VA Tech was without the benefit of TV.

:au::homer:

I have a lot of friends that went to Virginia Tech, and I told each and every one of the them on multiple occassions that I saw more dirty plays by them in the Sugar Bowl then I've seen in a long time.

:au:

Archived