Does any one own an EV?

RunInRed

No, and I don't expect to own one in the future. I don't think there is a charging station within 25 miles of where I live. Even if I wanted an EV it simply wouldn't work for me.

I could do an electric vehicle, but prolly won't because of initial cost, current range restrictions and a fear of built in obsolescence.

Keep in mind I'm still driving the same car since 1996 and only have to fill up once a month.  So, I'm weird.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

No, and I don't expect to own one in the future. I don't think there is a charging station within 25 miles of where I live. Even if I wanted an EV it simply wouldn't work for me.

Do you have an outlet at your house? ;)

• Haha 2

I still think they have to get the cost to purchase and charge times down but after sitting in a 15 minute line at Costco every weekend for $4/gallon gas and also juggling the inconvenience of occasional oil changes, etc ... I'm tempted to "find a better way."

Just now, KansasTiger said:

They seem to catch fire easily. So just be wary of that if you go down that route.

Really? I haven't seen that.

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Really? I haven't seen that.

More data is needed before anything concrete can be determined, but when they do catch fire, and they do sometimes, it's not an easy fire to put out. They had some catch fire on a cargo ship somewhere near Europe and had to let the entire cargo ship burn and sink as a result.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/01/massive-cargo-ship-carrying-electric-cars-sinks-in-atlantic-o

Edited by KansasTiger

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Thoughts? Likes/Dislikes?

Don't own one, but looked through the Ford Lightning at the local dealer lot. I was impressed with everything it had to offer.  Of course ridiculous price point, and usually have to add on the additional package to get the longer range but those longer ranges are getting better.  I know you basically have to install a better outlet at your house that can allow for reasonable charging rates.  How long does it take to charge while on the road? I think I saw something like 10 minutes gets you 100 miles of range? Maybe it was 5 minuites that does that, so 20 mins full charge?  I bet it would be nice for a commuting vehicle, but hard to see the logistics involved to be confident taking it on longer trips. I think the largest issue is just the lack of consumer knowledge of how it all works best.  I have an interest in it but can't justify the price point, nor afford it lol. If I am paying $70k for a vehicle, I am getting something very luxurious and loaded instead LOL.  I also think electric prices will end up being more costly than gas in a few years of the full roll outs as it taxes the electric grids.  Anyways, my thoughts LOL

• Like 1

I do think battery costs will go down in the near future that could drive down some of the costs.  They are building several EV Battery plants here in KY, surrounding Louisville.  

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Don't own one, but looked through the Ford Lightning at the local dealer lot. I was impressed with everything it had to offer.  Of course ridiculous price point, and usually have to add on the additional package to get the longer range but those longer ranges are getting better.  I know you basically have to install a better outlet at your house that can allow for reasonable charging rates.  How long does it take to charge while on the road? I think I saw something like 10 minutes gets you 100 miles of range? Maybe it was 5 minuites that does that, so 20 mins full charge?  I bet it would be nice for a commuting vehicle, but hard to see the logistics involved to be confident taking it on longer trips. I think the largest issue is just the lack of consumer knowledge of how it all works best.  I have an interest in it but can't justify the price point, nor afford it lol. If I am paying $70k for a vehicle, I am getting something very luxurious and loaded instead LOL.  I also think electric prices will end up being more costly than gas in a few years of the full roll outs as it taxes the electric grids.  Anyways, my thoughts LOL

I agree with your points ... road trips/long distant drives no ... but as a daily commuter, they are pretty tempting.  Especially if I can just plug it in at night when I get home and have a full charge in the AM.  I would never really have a need to use a public charger, go to a gas station, maintenance, etc.

The price point is interesting ... I do think it will come down as more competitors enter the market ... then again, if you were take a fully loaded Truck as an example and compare to the electric version, that gap is starting to narrow.  I think we're 3-5 years out from them almost being interchangeable ... but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I agree with your points ... road trips/long distant drives no ... but as a daily commuter, they are pretty tempting.  Especially if I can just plug it in at night when I get home and have a full charge in the AM.  I would never really have a need to use a public charger, go to a gas station, maintenance, etc.

The price point is interesting ... I do think it will come down as more competitors enter the market ... then again, if you were take a fully loaded Truck as an example and compare to the electric version, that gap is starting to narrow.  I think we're 3-5 years out from them almost being interchangeable ... but I could be wrong.

Definitely could end of that way.  Worth following for sure.  My co-worker is a big proponent of EV.  He has a Tesla, and like 4 Nissan Leafs to use for parts.  They only have like a 70 mile range or something lol.  As one of the first on the market, they all started to kaput and had to just discard them. Tech is much better now. Waiting for the Chevy EV Truck to release in fall 2023.  Advertising 400 mile range available. 

23 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I agree with your points ... road trips/long distant drives no ... but as a daily commuter, they are pretty tempting.  Especially if I can just plug it in at night when I get home and have a full charge in the AM.  I would never really have a need to use a public charger, go to a gas station, maintenance, etc....

They make a huge amount of sense for commuting such as you described. 

Likewise, pretty much most uses people have for daily home use, which comprises a huge proportion of the miles people put on their cars - errands, shopping, etc...

The problem as you suggest is long trips. Personally, I think it will be a lot longer than 3-5 years before that's fully sorted out.  Meanwhile, I would plan to rent a car - maybe a hybrid - for such trips.

Except for the long trips, an electric vehicle would be perfect for me - and I assume for most people.   

22 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Definitely could end of that way.  Worth following for sure.  My co-worker is a big proponent of EV.  He has a Tesla, and like 4 Nissan Leafs to use for parts.  They only have like a 70 mile range or something lol.  As one of the first on the market, they all started to kaput and had to just discard them. Tech is much better now. Waiting for the Chevy EV Truck to release in fall 2023.  Advertising 400 mile range available. 

I am surprised at the number of Teslas I see in upstate SC.  See a few charging stations here and there, but not many.  Presumably everyone is charging overnight.

Is the 70 mile range on the Nissans due to battery degradation? 

As someone who has used battery powered tools for a long time, that's a concern for me. All of my 18v NiCad batteries have died.  Replaced them with Li batteries but I assume they won't last forever either.

I recently purchased a blower and string trimer that run on 40v batteries and I really like them - losing the cord is a blessing!!!

But batteries aren't cheap, especially for a car.  Hopefully that technology will progress.

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am surprised at the number of Teslas I see in upstate SC.  See a few charging stations here and there, but not many.  Presumably everyone is charging overnight.

As someone who has used battery powered tools for a long time, that's a concern for me. All of my 18v NiCad batteries have died.  Replaced them with Li batteries but I assume they won't last forever either.

I recently purchased a blower and string trimer that run on 40v batteries and I really like them - losing the cord is a blessing!!!

But batteries aren't cheap, especially for a car.  Hopefully that technology will progress.

I think that initial group of EV cars were all low range, made for commuter vehicles. Degradation (I think) is not an issue with the newer EVs.  Different tech. But I by no means am no expert on it. So I could be mixing up things I have read over the past couple years.

I currently have the Toro FlexForce 60v series, and that 6.0 amh Battery gets me through 2 grass cuttings  on my 1/3 acre lawn.  I love it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

I'm down here in SoFlo ... Teslas and electric cars are everywhere.  I'm seeing many others as well (Kia, Ford, VW, Volvo, Mercedes, etc.)

I'm excited about EV's.  I think they offer a path to a lower cost more reliable car.   I won't own one for a while because they are still too expensive, but I think that will change pretty rapidly.  They can take a 25 to 30% market share just being a 2nd car in a 2 car family.   I think it will be longer than most people think before they are worth a damn on a road trip though. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I'm down here in SoFlo ... Teslas and electric cars are everywhere.  I'm seeing many others as well (Kia, Ford, VW, Volvo, Mercedes, etc.)

Tesla's are pretty much the only ones I recognize at this point.  Or maybe a Chevy Volt.

This is a stupid example of easier/practicality but I got an e-Go blower awhile back.  Now, instead of toting a small gas container to fill up in the trunk every now and then and then doing the oil mix mess, ... and why won't this damn thing crank, ... prime, pump, crap it's flooded ... wait ... ugh ... now, I simply charge the battery every time I blow off the deck/drive, etc.  So much better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

This is a stupid example of easier/practicality but I got an e-Go blower awhile back.  Now, instead of toting a small gas container to fill up in the trunk every now and then and then doing the oil mix mess, ... and why won't this damn thing crank, ... prime, pump, crap it's flooded ... wait ... ugh ... now, I simply charge the battery every time I blow off the deck/drive, etc.  So much better.

I am running the full toro series, so I got the blower also.  Love it!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, homersapien said:

I asked my co-worker about the degradation.  He did say his Nissan Leaf was 85 mile range when it was new, and now down to 55 mile range.  But that was primitive technology (2010).  Come a long way since then.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Makes a lot of sense for Florida since you do not have as much colder weather there.  There was a video right after the Virginia winter storm that stranded drivers for 9 hours on I-95.  He was given a model to test in Minnesota in -12 degrees to see about the loss of electric compared to running out of fuel.  He tested in his driveway, while occasionally driving around the neighborhood to mimic what would happen in the log jam.  He concluded that it lost a similar amount of range as a car would consume gas in those conditions.  

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I have a large concrete pool deck which I blow off daily in season - formerly using a corded, electric blower.  A really long heavy duty cord is a pain to deal with and store. My battery-powered blower is sooo much nicer for that job.

And my battery powered string trimmer is way more convenient and lighter weight than my (rather large) gas brush saw/string trimmer.

I have a natural yard ("weeds" and native grass) and trim the whole thing with a string trimmer.  My (new) Kobalt 40v, 6.4 amp-hr battery in the trimmer powers it for about an hour, which is about all I want to spend in one session anyway. 

Anyway, I'm a big fan of electric tools, and plan to go electric for my next car, assuming I will even get another car.

The only negative with a electric tools I see is,  if you have a bunch of stuff you will want to standardize (on the battery/charger). 

I bought the Kobalt blower more or less on impulse and testimony from a friend.  Then followed it with a string trimmer.  There are a lot of different brands emerging now and I'm not sure that was the best choice. 

I have only one battery at this point.  The Kobalt 40v 6 amp-hour batteries are $110 + shipping on Amazon.  Not sure how the 2 amp-hour  performs, but I figure the more amps, the better.

My friend even has a Kobalt 40v chainsaw and raves about it.  Don't think that would work for me though, I heat with wood and do a lot of chainsaw work.  Be great for the average homeowner though.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I am running the full toro series, so I got the blower also.  Love it!

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.  Stihl and Husqvarna - my preferred chain saw brands - have battery powered stuff now too.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 2:25 PM, homersapien said:

I have a large concrete pool deck which I blow off daily in season - formerly using a corded, electric blower.  A really long heavy duty cord is a pain to deal with and store. My battery-powered blower is sooo much nicer for that job.

And my battery powered string trimmer is way more convenient and lighter weight than my (rather large) gas brush saw/string trimmer.

I have a natural yard ("weeds" and native grass) and trim the whole thing with a string trimmer.  My (new) Kobalt 40v, 6.4 amp-hr battery in the trimmer powers it for about an hour, which is about all I want to spend in one session anyway. 

Anyway, I'm a big fan of electric tools, and plan to go electric for my next car, assuming I will even get another car.

The only negative with a electric tools I see is,  if you have a bunch of stuff you will want to standardize (on the battery/charger). 

I bought the Kobalt blower more or less on impulse and testimony from a friend.  Then followed it with a string trimmer.  There are a lot of different brands emerging now and I'm not sure that was the best choice. 

I have only one battery at this point.  The Kobalt 40v 6 amp-hour batteries are $110 + shipping on Amazon.  Not sure how the 2 amp-hour  performs, but I figure the more amps, the better.

My friend even has a Kobalt 40v chainsaw and raves about it.  Don't think that would work for me though, I heat with wood and do a lot of chainsaw work.  Be great for the average homeowner though.

All of us aging guys are huge fans of battery tools. Same with most youngsters now. No fooling with mixed gas and extension cords or worn out from starting a 2 cycle. 

Kobalt blower” is “the man.” 

• Like 1