TJ plans to transfer

PigskinPat

On 5/2/2023 at 11:16 PM, AU-24 said:

Beat me to it.

Per my intro post above, I’m hungry for Auburn Fan inside baseball and informed analysis of TJ, since you all offloaded him on us. Would appreciate you elaborating.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:27 AM, WillMunny said:

Thank goodness.

What’s the good, bad, and ugly of TJ Finley, for we long suffering Bobcat fans?

3 minutes ago, Bobcatz said:

Per my intro post above, I’m hungry for Auburn Fan inside baseball and informed analysis of TJ, since you all offloaded him on us. Would appreciate you elaborating.

Well, it didn’t look good when he threw his offensive line under the bus.  

IMG_8191.thumb.jpeg.50d775f71699d9d61956b263f50af442.jpeg

Lately he was upset we brought in a transfer QB, even though he was brought in from LSU to do the same thing.  

“Just from the competition standpoint, they brought in Zach Calzada, they brought in Robby Ashford, in my head, to me, that’s a slap in the face that you don’t believe in what you already have,” Finley said. “That they bring in two guys, that are close to the same age as the guy you have that finished the season the previous year.” Finley then threatened to transfer even though his “heart is in Auburn.”

“I graduate in June, if I wanted to I could transfer as a grad transfer,” Finley said. “Right now my heart is in Auburn, but everything really is up in the air right now.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 12:04 AM, AUINSY said:

TJ Finley’s parents are going to be real upset when they find out their son will be…checks lineup…third string at Texas State: https://flywareagle.com/2023/05/12/auburn-football-transfer-qb-third-string/

I think they’ll realize how good they had it here…unfortunately too late. Another bomb to the Harsin legacy.

Full greetings from Texas - Texas State alum and rare football fan here.

I haven’t followed Auburn football closely, but after the TJ news, I stumbled upon the linked analysis below of the QBs in your spring game last month.

Is that piece is representative of the views of most who study AU football and understand the QB position? 🤯🫣

TJ’s heading into his 8th year as a starting QB 🤯🫣— this his 4th in CFB after 3 years in which he started multiple SEC games and 3-4 years as a starting QB in HS. So on the surface I was shocked and dismayed to read that assessment of TJ.

Plusses = experienced at a high level, plenty of arm, and Big Ben-like size.

Negatives/concerns:

- decision making (is he not able you read defenses? or does he not ‘process’ well/quickly for a QB?

- not quick/mobile threat

- more game manager than playmaker?

- occasionally inaccurate (I’ve watched limited film, though)

- not the best pocket presence

- flees instead of competes (3 schools in 4 years 😑🤷‍♂️)

- unknown: would those around the program say that TJ is known as the “hardest working guy in the QB room”?  addicted to film, studying defenses? gets to the facility early, last one to leave? etc.

Would appreciate your insights. 

Of course, we’ll be interested to see whether Kinne promised TJ the starting job or plans on a real QB competition.

Thanks all — and beat Bama!

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/auburn-football-spring-game-quarterback-analysis-robby-ashford-tj-finley-holden-geriner

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well, it didn’t look good when he threw his offensive line under the bus.  

IMG_8191.thumb.jpeg.50d775f71699d9d61956b263f50af442.jpeg

Lately he was upset we brought in a transfer QB, even though he was brought in from LSU to do the same thing.  

“Just from the competition standpoint, they brought in Zach Calzada, they brought in Robby Ashford, in my head, to me, that’s a slap in the face that you don’t believe in what you already have,” Finley said. “That they bring in two guys, that are close to the same age as the guy you have that finished the season the previous year.” Finley then threatened to transfer even though his “heart is in Auburn.”

“I graduate in June, if I wanted to I could transfer as a grad transfer,” Finley said. “Right now my heart is in Auburn, but everything really is up in the air right now.”

Holy Hypocrisy!

Where/when did he make the slap comment? Media interview, digital print/ social media?

46 minutes ago, Bobcatz said:

Texas State Bobcat fan here (yes, a handful of us exist!). Hope you don’t noons me stopping by.

In the wake of Finley “slapping Texas State QBs in the face” last week, those of us who don’t follow Auburn football closely are thirsty for insights about TJ: That is, what are we really getting (and not getting) with him?

Would appreciate any elaboration on your comment and any other.

As one that grew up in SA and frequented the Guad and Comal, let me say, welcome. I loved the "environment" in San Marcos just not those hills on campus

TJ can be a good teammate when he is getting his way.

TJs dad is a vocal supporter of TJ, take that as you may.

TJ moves as well as Drew Bledsoe did.

TJ has a very slow processor. The game seems to still move a little too fast for him.

TJ struggles deciphering coverages which lead to very bad decisions.

TJ doesn't accept responsibility like you'd want a QB to do. 

TJ has some lower body mechanic issues that cause a lot of his inconsistencies.

TJ has a cannon of an arm but struggles with ball placement and touch.

Tj struggles when forced to remain in the pocket and not agile enough to really work effectively inside it. 

TJ gets flustered and makes poor decisions when presented with any pressure, from any angle. 

TJ makes some questionable pre-snap reads. 

TJ doesn't take care of the football but will look to blame others first.

TJ has poor leadership qualities.

Just my thoughts.  Any thoughts or questions, ask away.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Great assessment. I don’t think it’s an accident that the number of great QBs at 6’7” is not a long list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As one that grew up in SA and frequented the Guad and Comal, let me say, welcome. I loved the "environment" in San Marcos just not those hills on campus

TJ can be a good teammate when he is getting his way.

TJs dad is a vocal supporter of TJ, take that as you may.

TJ moves as well as Drew Bledsoe did.

TJ has a very slow processor. The game seems to still move a little too fast for him.

TJ struggles deciphering coverages which lead to very bad decisions.

TJ doesn't accept responsibility like you'd want a QB to do. 

TJ has a cannon of an arm but struggles with ball placement and touch.

Tj struggles when forced to remain in the pocket and not agile enough to really work effectively inside it. 

TJ gets flustered and makes poor decisions when presented with any pressure, from any angle. 

TJ makes some questionable pre-snap reads. 

TJ doesn't take care of the football but will look to blame others first.

TJ has poor leadership qualities.

Just my thoughts.  Any thoughts or questions, ask away.

Howdy! Yeah, it’s a pretty campus/area with a little topography; thanks for the warm welcome!

Wow, your comments… Equal parts helpful and scary.

I appreciate you taking the time to be so granular — exactly what I hoped for — although it reads like you didn’t have to think hard or long to pen that! 🤣

• Haha 1

Yeah, there some other things around him that are issues too but those are pretty personal.  

I hope he learns a lot and becomes a very good analyst and/or coach one day.  

I expect him to be relaying signs while in San Marcus 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobcatz said:

Howdy! Yeah, it’s a pretty campus/area with a little topography; thanks for the warm welcome!

Wow, your comments… Equal parts helpful and scary.

I appreciate you taking the time to be so granular — exactly what I hoped for — although it reads like you didn’t have to think hard or long to pen that! 🤣

He didn’t have to think about because we’ve been hashing this out for two years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bobcatz said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty campus/area with a little topography

Beautiful campus for sure. 

• Like 1

Difference between tj and the last 2 QB's here is tj is actually honest about how he "feels" he says whatever he says and stand on it as opposed to saying and doing things and then when he has an interview portraying to not be the person he really is.

Pretty much he hasn't had any media training. That's one thing about Auburn that's hurt us the most, we haven't had a leader and a high quality character guy at QB in a very very long time. And that intangible stuff really matters.

I actually doubt the guy coming in is that guy either but I don't know. I don't know why but my gut just keeps telling me Hank Brown is going to be something and I think he may have that. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Difference between tj and the last 2 QB's here is tj is actually honest about how he "feels" he says whatever he says and stand on it as opposed to saying and doing things and then when he has an interview portraying to not be the person he really is.

Pretty much he hasn't had any media training. That's one thing about Auburn that's hurt us the most, we haven't had a leader and a high quality character guy at QB in a very very long time. And that intangible stuff really matters.

I actually doubt the guy coming in is that guy either but I don't know. I don't know why but my guy just keeps telling me Hank Brown is going to be something and I think he may have that. But that's just my opinion.

Not since Nick Marshall at least

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Great assessment. I don’t think it’s an accident that the number of great QBs at 6’7” is not a long list. 

The potential pool is pretty small, but many athletic 6’7” guys choose basketball.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not since Nick Marshall at least

That's exactly how I feel as well. And IMO that's waaaay too long as far as the QB position. Just entirely too important of a position to have a drought in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's exactly how I feel as well. And IMO that's waaaay too long as far as the QB position. Just entirely too important of a position to have a drought in. 

9 damn years..that’s just bad. 

• Like 1

Interesting takes here.

TJ is a smart guy and a hard worker. He should be praised for that.

However, TJ is not a good qb. He doesn’t read defenses. He has a good arm but no touch. He’s inaccurate downfield but his mid to short passing game is better than ashford’s. 

He does not provide good leadership. There’s not a single player that would go to bat for him. His father is a problem off the field.

He practices well but does not play well in game and makes poor decisions. When under pressure, his judgment worsens. 

If he’s “honest” in press conferences…well at least we can be honest about him now. 

I am glad he’s moved on. I really mean this when I say i hope he is an excellent qb for the bobcats. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Bobcatz said:

Texas State Bobcat fan here (yes, a handful of us exist!). Hope you don’t noons me stopping by.

In the wake of Finley “slapping Texas State QBs in the face” last week, those of us who don’t follow Auburn football closely are thirsty for insights about TJ: That is, what are we really getting (and not getting) with him?

Would appreciate any elaboration on your comment and any other.

BCat, if you want evidence of why your prediction of TJ being 3rd string might be spot on, go watch the 2021 Birmingham Bowl.   In that game his QBR was 25.5.  The opposing QB's QBR was 74 -- so the conditions were ripe for a good passing day.    Out of 37 attempts, TJ only completed 9 passes to wideouts.   The bulk of his completions were to Tank (our RB) and Shenker (our tight end).    He had 3 opportunities to throw downfield for uncontested completions and touch downs, and he missed all 3.  None of them were really even close to complete.   IIRC, one he threw out of bounds on the right sideline and the other 2 were bad overthrows.    As Bird and others have indicated, one of his biggest challenges is processing information correctly and quickly.   For a non-football related example, at Auburn University as QB1 (usually always the most recognizable person on campus) and at 6'7', 250 and with very recognizable  twists, TJ decided that his best option, when Campus Police attempted to stop him for riding a scooter without a helmet (helmet are required in Alabama), was to run from the police.   Of course, they knew exactly who he was and his attempt to allude was just as successful as the 80 times during the year when he tried to escape pressure....   Good luck to you guys this year!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Interesting takes here.

However, TJ is not a good qb. He doesn’t read defenses. He has a good arm but no touch. He’s inaccurate downfield but his mid to short passing game is better than ashford’s. 

He does not provide good leadership. There’s not a single player that would go to bat for him. His father is a problem off the field.

He practices well but does not play well in game and makes poor decisions. When under pressure, his judgment worsens. 

If he’s “honest” in press conferences…well at least we can be honest about him now. 

I am glad he’s moved on. I really mean this when I say i hope he is an excellent qb for the bobcats. 

Wow, that not a single teammate would go to bat for him is perhaps the most concerning of your points. (We had a couple QBs about which the same could be said.)

Thank you for the color.

9 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

BCat, if you want evidence of why your prediction of TJ being 3rd string might be spot on, go watch the 2021 Birmingham Bowl.   In that game his QBR was 25.5.  The opposing QB's QBR was 74 -- so the conditions were ripe for a good passing day.    Out of 37 attempts, TJ only completed 9 passes to wideouts.   The bulk of his completions were to Tank (our RB) and Shenker (our tight end).    He had 3 opportunities to throw downfield for uncontested completions and touch downs, and he missed all 3.  None of them were really even close to complete.   IIRC, one he threw out of bounds on the right sideline and the other 2 were bad overthrows.    As Bird and others have indicated, one of his biggest challenges is processing information correctly and quickly.   For a non-football related example, at Auburn University as QB1 (usually always the most recognizable person on campus) and at 6'7', 250 and with very recognizable  twists, TJ decided that his best option, when Campus Police attempted to stop him for riding a scooter without a helmet (helmet are required in Alabama), was to run from the police.   Of course, they knew exactly who he was and his attempt to allude was just as successful as the 80 times during the year when he tried to escape pressure....   Good luck to you guys this year!!!! 

Good data and context (although perhaps you have me confused with someone regarding any 3rd-string prediction).

Very funny! Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I’m curious why TJ left the team last year, before the season was over. 

But wait there’s more?! 🤯🤣

• Haha 1

Yeah he essentially said he wasn’t going to play anymore with like 3-4 games left, if I recall correctly. He cleared out his locker with like 1/3 or 1/4 of the season left 🤷‍♂️ I think he was trying to keep a year of eligibility since he had only played in 3 or 4 games

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Didn’t Tank say he thought TJ would win the starting job and surprise a lot of people at Auburn? I think he did…I’m surprised alright, but not in a good way 😬

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Interesting takes here.

Spot on.  

• Like 1