Does anyone on here live (or recently lived) in Tucson, AZ?

Looking for advice on where to live.  My son just graduated from Auburn and got a good job in Tucson.  He starts in about 5 weeks.   I was told to avoid living in south Tucson where he will be working.

We are searching for good area to look for housing for him.  We know NOTHING about Tucson and where the safe/rough areas are.  We are making a trip in a few weeks,  but will only have 4 days to find and rent housing (1-2 bedroom apartment or small house)   That is not enough time to evaluate an area and find a decent place to live in that area when starting from scratch.  As of now I feel like I am just throwing darts at a map!

Looking for a SAFE place,  a nice/ clean place,  an inexpensive place,  a fun area (he would like to be close to all the nightlife for people in their early 20's, etc.)  Or any combination of these attributes.

My only  requirement is that it must be a relatively safe area.  (he will be 2,000 mile from any family, friend, and anyone he has ever known)

PLEASE help us narrow down our search to a few areas we should (or should not) look.

If, by chance,  anyone has housing for rent in Tucson,  He is the perfect renter.   Never missed or been late on rent.  He is quiet and has always left his apartments in better shape then when he arrived.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Looking for advice on where to live.  My son just graduated from Auburn and got a good job in Tucson.  He starts in about 5 weeks.   I was told to avoid living in south Tucson where he will be working.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tucson/

Got post this here.  You'll probably have much more luck and get many more opinions that are accurate 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tucson/

Got post this here.  You'll probably have much more luck and get many more opinions that are accurate 

Thanks, 

I spent a lot of time looking on reddit already.   That is where I started,  but there are a lot of conflicting views. PLUS,  I struggle to put a lot of weight in reddit advice.  

I trust our AUfamily board members more then  I  trust any other internet advice.  There are a few posters with AZ related monikers,  I just  have not seen them here in a while.

The company he will be working for   has drawn a lot of Auburn engineers in the past.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

To state an obvious, what have his future colleagues recommended to him?

He doesn't have any kind of orientation until right before he  starts. Where they will provide this info,  but I feel like this will make us pressed for time,  and have to make a rushed decision and have settle for less than "pretty good".   He literally just cleared his E-QIP ( I think you will know what that is based on the job I believe you do).   He has been on company new hires forum,  but I am trying a different angle. 

Two more thoughts.  Surely the person who hired him could provide some direction.  Secondly, one of the best sources for information at a company or firm is the receptionist…seriously.  Tell your son to give her a call.  If nothing else he would be making contact with, likely, a very nice looking woman. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

He doesn't have any kind of orientation until right before he  starts. Where they will provide this info,  but I feel like this will make us pressed for time,  and have to make a rushed decision and have settle for less than "pretty good".   He literally just cleared his E-QIP ( I think you will know what that is based on the job I believe you do).   He has been on company new hires forum,  but I am trying a different angle. 

It might be more expensive, but might be worth it to find a 3 month or 6 month airbnb or long term rental.  Lots of places like this rent to traveling nurses or executives.  Usually fully furnished and will give him the change to get to know the city and not have the immediate burden of outfitting a full 1 BR apartment.  Possibly meet coworkers and get roommate/which will be cheaper.

Lots of cities will have different pockets/neighborhoods with different cultures/crowds.  Figuring that out for 3-6 months, how traffic flows, etc before locking into a year might be good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It might be more expensive, but might be worth it to find a 3 month or 6 month airbnb or long term rental.  Lots of places like this rent to traveling nurses or executives.  Usually fully furnished and will give him the change to get to know the city and not have the immediate burden of outfitting a full 1 BR apartment.  Possibly meet coworkers and get roommate/which will be cheaper.

Lots of cities will have different pockets/neighborhoods with different cultures/crowds.  Figuring that out for 3-6 months, how traffic flows, etc before locking into a year might be good.

That’s a dang good idea!

I know you didn't ask for this in particular but... Here you go anyway.

I relocated from Huntsville AL to Winston Salem NC in a similar manner at about that age, family being 8 hours by car. I moved up here and stayed in a hotel for the first week while talking to coworkers, realtors, and driving around to get a lay of the land. Then I found an apartment for 6 months and then bought a house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beagle34 said:

The only thing I know is that Jojo left his home in Tucson Arizona 🎸

Ah, man, get back!

• Like 3

I lived in Tucson for 12 years, but moved back to Atl 7 years ago because of family.

i love Tucson. I lived more north but like all large towns there are bad areas. But the best Mexican food is in the South for sure! 

i cant recommend a place to live but I can recommend Tucdon as a great place to work and live. Great hiking area!

it takes a while to get use to but it is a great place to live!

• Like 1

I was stationed there in the USAF at Davis-Monthan, my wife met there, MIL and fam still there. My recommendation would be north and east of DM, or northwest up I-10 toward Marana.  Sabino canyon area, Tanque Verde, Ventana canyon in the northern foothills are all fairly good. Even east out Houghton road is mostly newer construction. Out west off Ina road and Cortaro farms is good. Bad news is the drive to south tucson for work down I-10 and I-19 can be busy and slow. There are routes to the south around the eastern edge of town if you live over there.  Good weather lots of sunshine, golf courses, outdoor stuff up Mt Lemmon highway very accessible from the east side. Good luck to your son, and PM or respond if you have any more questions I would be glad to help.

• Like 1

I’ve lived in Phoenix for 25 years, and I go to/through Tucson once or twice a year. Tucson can be a nice place to live, but it will be a huge change in many respects, especially the weather. Moving in July will be brutal, no other way to put it. Winter however is very mild.

if I were your son’s age, I would want to live fairly close to the University of Arizona. Lots of restaurants and activities along Speedway. Marana is an up and coming area too. Used to be farming in that area, but a lot of new construction now. It’s a commute to south Tucson though and there’s a lot of road work on-going. I wouldn’t recommend veering more than a few miles off of I-10 when looking for an apartment. You might find just what you’re looking for, but I-10 runs north to south and if you’re going east to west, then there’s no quick route. Phoenix has good infrastructure to get from point A to point B fairly quickly, but Tucson does not. This is the most infuriating thing about Tucson for me.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about safety. Tucson is like most towns— there are good sections and bad sections. You’ll know it when you see it. I’ve never personally felt unsafe around the university area. Some of the more rural areas in the foothills are quiet and scenic, but they’re mostly for retirees who don’t commute daily.

if considering renting a house, one of the most important things to find out is the source of water. I would steer clear of any place on a well. Hauling water will be an additional cost of at least $100/month if the place isn’t on city water. AZ just reached a deal with the surrounding state and the federal government earlier this week, and the upshot is the cost of water is going to increase.

I hope you and your son enjoy Arizona.   It is a startling beautiful landscape, but the natural areas can be harsh if you are not prepared. Always carry water, even if you are only going to the grocery store. No outdoor activities in the middle of the day during the warmer months (May through October). Do not mess with the wildlife— rattlesnakes, scorpions, javelinas, Gila monsters, etc. Maintain an awareness of your surroundings or you will find yourself in the emergency room. Keep an eye on the weather if you are hiking because flash floods are very dangerous if you’re in a low lying area. 

Good luck!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, subterranean_jack said:

I’ve lived in Phoenix for 25 years, and I go to/through Tucson once or twice a year. Tucson can be a nice place to live, but it will be a huge change in many respects, especially the weather. Moving in July will be brutal, no other way to put it. Winter however is very mild.

if I were your son’s age, I would want to live fairly close to the University of Arizona. Lots of restaurants and activities along Speedway. Marana is an up and coming area too. Used to be farming in that area, but a lot of new construction now. It’s a commute to south Tucson though and there’s a lot of road work on-going. I wouldn’t recommend veering more than a few miles off of I-10 when looking for an apartment. You might find just what you’re looking for, but I-10 runs north to south and if you’re going east to west, then there’s no quick route. Phoenix has good infrastructure to get from point A to point B fairly quickly, but Tucson does not. This is the most infuriating thing about Tucson for me.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about safety. Tucson is like most towns— there are good sections and bad sections. You’ll know it when you see it. I’ve never personally felt unsafe around the university area. Some of the more rural areas in the foothills are quiet and scenic, but they’re mostly for retirees who don’t commute daily.

if considering renting a house, one of the most important things to find out is the source of water. I would steer clear of any place on a well. Hauling water will be an additional cost of at least $100/month if the place isn’t on city water. AZ just reached a deal with the surrounding state and the federal government earlier this week, and the upshot is the cost of water is going to increase.

I hope you and your son enjoy Arizona.   It is a startling beautiful landscape, but the natural areas can be harsh if you are not prepared. Always carry water, even if you are only going to the grocery store. No outdoor activities in the middle of the day during the warmer months (May through October). Do not mess with the wildlife— rattlesnakes, scorpions, javelinas, Gila monsters, etc. Maintain an awareness of your surroundings or you will find yourself in the emergency room. Keep an eye on the weather if you are hiking because flash floods are very dangerous if you’re in a low lying area. 

Good luck!!!

Good job with the description also found it interesting. Had no idea what a javelinas was........

On 5/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

In my experience, I had a friend in aerospace engineering that moved from NC to FL. If u can find a modern place for rent in a good vicinity of his workplace, I think that is the best bet.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Does anyone on here live (or recently lived) in Tucson, AZ?
18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Good job with the description also found it interesting. Had no idea what a javelinas was........

You've probably eaten a couple, golf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2023 at 2:31 PM, woodford said:

You've probably eaten a couple, golf

I have. Our squadron at DM would have a wild pig roast once a year. Not as good as Golden Rule Irondale or pulled pork or ribs in the instant pot my wife makes.

• Like 1