Baseball hosting a regional

11 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I go back over 40 years and didn’t know better than the aluminum bleachers. It was the port-a-potties I hated. Did the players have real toilets close by? I really do not remember. 

Great thread and love that @Gowebb11 is making a visit to Plainsman Park first time. 

Sorta hate it but I have a very dear niece getting married this weekend on the coast. All of great Auburn folks so will be keeping up.

Salty our locker room and bath rooms were in the bottom level of Beard-Eaves Coliseum.   We would dress there and walk across the parking lot to the 1st base dugout (home is now on the 3rd base side).   Our weight room was also in BEC.   We shared it with the swim team.   Our only batting cage was outside on the 3rd base side.   It could accommodate 2 batters at a time.   

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m actually going to my first game at Plainsmen Park this weekend. Very excited. 

Go, do you mean first time this year or first time ever?   I see you are a Red Sox fan.    There will be something in left field that will look familiar.   The weather forecast is setting up nicely.    Some may recall last year -- on Sunday in the Championship game we were beating UCLA 9-0 in the bottom of the 6th and lighting caused a 1 hour delay.   Then the game was suspended until noon on Monday.   We drove back to Bham, got home around 1 or 2, got a few hours sleep and drove back to AU...   It was well worth it!!!! 

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Go, do you mean first time this year or first time ever?   I see you are a Red Sox fan.    There will be something in left field that will look familiar.   The weather forecast is setting up nicely.    Some may recall last year -- on Sunday in the Championship game we were beating UCLA 9-0 in the bottom of the 6th and lighting caused a 1 hour delay.   Then the game was suspended until noon on Monday.   We drove back to Bham, got home around 1 or 2, got a few hours sleep and drove back to AU...   It was well worth it!!!! 

First time ever. The only baseball game I ever watched as an AU student was in the mid 80’s when we played Samford and my best friend was pitching for the Bulldogs. He gave up 2 massive HRs to Bo. I sat on the aluminum bleachers with a few hundred other fans. It is amazing how far it has come as a college sport and I’m happy to see it. And yes, the Fenway resemblance does my heart good. Another differentiator for baseball as a sport: every football field and basketball court are the same dimensions, but every baseball field is unique. Can’t wait for Friday. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Salty our locker room and bath rooms were in the bottom level of Beard-Eaves Coliseum.   We would dress there and walk across the parking lot to the 1st base dugout (home is now on the 3rd base side).   Our weight room was also in BEC.   We shared it with the swim team.   Our only batting cage was outside on the 3rd base side.   It could accommodate 2 batters at a time.   

Good old BE. Sure I knew that at one time and do recall the weight room thing now. Beard Eaves was always the bad weather day go to place for local residents and exercise. Think I have walked or jogged about every imaginable route around and through the place. Been a couple of years since I’ve been and it does seem dark and sorta depressing. 

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

First time ever. The only baseball game I ever watched as an AU student was in the mid 80’s when we played Samford and my best friend was pitching for the Bulldogs. He gave up 2 massive HRs to Bo. I sat on the aluminum bleachers with a few hundred other fans. It is amazing how far it has come as a college sport and I’m happy to see it. And yes, the Fenway resemblance does my heart good. Another differentiator for baseball as a sport: every football field and basketball court are the same dimensions, but every baseball field is unique. Can’t wait for Friday. 

I would love  to be able tell people Bo Jackson hit two HR’s off me in college. 

34 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I would love  to be able tell people Bo Jackson hit two HR’s off me in college. 

Exactly. Ironically, he had Bo sign a baseball after the game. He also faced Deion Sanders and struck him out and got him to sign the ball. So now he has two baseballs signed by two legends. Probably worth some money by now. 

• Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 1:35 PM, Golden Eagle said:

It's time for Auburn to beat Clemson in something - hoping AU baseball gets it done. 

I'd rather Tenessee upset white hot Clemson so we play the Vols at AU if we advance. Really wish we would have won 1 more game in Hoover. Of the top 8 seeds Clemson was the last one I wanted to pair with. I really wanted LSU. Because of their pitching after Skenes they have a real shot of losing their regional.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

On a side note, I feel like TAMU got a bad deal. Having them go all the way to Cali after their SECT showing is wrong in my opinion. 

Disagree. They went from a bit better than one of the last at large 3 seeds to a solid 2 seed. That's reward enough based on the rest of their resume.

18 hours ago, woodford said:

I don’t have to tell this forum anything but we could be a total baseball juggernaut. 

Not sure about that. We are still near the bottom in terms of resources for Baseball in the SEC and suposedly OTV is not doing much with sports not named football or men's basketball. What Butch and company are doing is akin to the 2000s A's Billy Bean-ing it.

Anyone heard anything definitive on the status of Herberholtz for this weekend?

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Anyone heard anything definitive on the status of Herberholtz for this weekend?

No. Butch speaks to the media later in the week.

• Like 1

Down on the coast for a wedding and have to be at a dinner tonight. Enough good Auburn folks that we will keep up without weird looks. At least it not the despised “ football gameday wedding”.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/baseball/news-auburn-regional-baseball-ncaa-2023-teams-schedule-how-watch

Game # Team 1 Team 2 Time TV Channel
1 Southern Miss. Samford 2 pm EST ESPN+
2 Auburn Penn 7 pm EST ESPN+

The schedule can then get complicated as the tournament is double elimination, which is a format that not everyone may be familiar with.

Game # Team Team Date + Time
3 Winner of Game 1 Winner of Game 2 Saturday, TBD
4 Loser of Game 1 Loser of Game 2 Saturday, TBD
5  Loser of Game 3 Winner of Game 4 Sunday, TBD
6  Winner of Game 3 Winner of Game 5 Sunday, TBD
7 (if necessary) Winner of Game 6 Loser of Game 6 Monday, TBD

1-1 Samford and USM going into the 7th. Samford and USM have both thrown their Ace. 

4-2 Samford beats USM. 

AU Tigers coming up!

Edited by Gowebb11

Puts Auburn in a good spot with a win. 

Can’t believe there are no posts during this game.  I’m afraid allsup is about done.  Yep, Bauman is in.  Chase deserves better from our hitters.  He gave a solid 5 innings.

The Penn pitcher is kicking our butt.  We need to get him out of the game.  

• Like 1

Bauman got through 6th 1 hit but a double play. We need to light it up now.

• Like 1

I hope we stretch this out now.  Can’t believe the Penn pitcher is on the hook for the loss (I hope).  Butch pulls our starter and he sits the top of 6th in order.  Penn stretches their starter and we put up 2 and take the lead.

Just now, Golden Eagle said:

Awful bottom of the 7th for Auburn...

Truly awful.  Good grief level bad … and from the top of our lineup … after our 9 hitter walks.

• Like 1