CHF on Mac and Cube Show (8/18/23)

RunInRed

Coach Hugh Freeze on WJOX FM in Birmingham (Mac and Cube Show) this morning ...

On name Payton Thorne starting QB:

• Decisions to name starting QB are always difficult
  • As I made clear yesterday, we think can win with any of the three (Payton, Robby, Holden)
  • Robby is the most freakish athlete I've ever coached at that position. I hope he handles it right and he did yesterday - had a great day at practice.
  • The decision to name Payton starter really came down to me ... he really gets what we're trying to do offensively. Being a grad kid, he's very seasoned. He runs better than most give him credit for. He has a really sharp football IQ. The determining factor was really how the other kids react to him - there's a look others had while he's in the huddle. I hope he take the opportunity and runs with it.

On creating culture / getting players to buy-in:

• We have a lot of alignment right now / positive flow and energy  
  • Every one will be tested at some point with their enthusiasm for this program. You don't go through Year 1 of a rebuild in this league without some hiccups. We will compete hard for this University but this is a daily task of creating the program we all want.
  • We live in a day and time where the "outs" are very easy ... I challenged the team yesterday, don't complain about anything you're not willing to change - about yourself, the program, etc.

On Offensive Line:

• We're absolutely cross-training positions, 10-11 guys
  • I know we're better at Auburn with the guys we brought in
  • I love this group's attitude - probably the most 'bought-in' group
  • We have a chance with them and our TEs and RBs to be able to effectively run the ball

On Wide Receivers:

• We still have a ways to go in the receivers room, truthfully. But excited about the improvement we've made.
  • Still shocking to me Auburn hasn't have 1,000-yard receivers in decades
  • We've got to get some difference makers in.

On Robby Ashford:

• Yesterday may have been his best practice
  • He's a weapon that can be used in a lot of different ways
  • So many voices in today's world ... hope he makes the right decisions and continues to approach this the right way

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

On name Payton Thorne starting QB:

• Decisions to name starting QB are always difficult
  • As I made clear yesterday, we think can win with any of the three (Payton, Robby, Holden)
  • Robby is the most freakish athlete I've ever coached at that position. I hope he handles it right and he did yesterday - had a great day at practice.
  • The decision to name Payton starter really came down to me ... he really gets what we're trying to do offensively. Being a grad kid, he's very seasoned. He runs better than most give him credit for. He has a really sharp football IQ. The determining factor was really how the other kids react to him - there's a look others had while he's in the huddle. I hope he take the opportunity and runs with it.

On creating culture / getting players to buy-in:

• We have a lot of alignment right now / positive flow and energy  
  • Every one will be tested at some point with their enthusiasm for this program. You don't go through Year 1 of a rebuild in this league without some hiccups. We will compete hard for this University but this is a daily task of creating the program we all want.
  • We live in a day and time where the "outs" are very easy ... I challenged the team yesterday, don't complain about anything you're not willing to change - about yourself, the program, etc.

On Offensive Line:

• We're absolutely cross-training positions, 10-11 guys
  • I love this group's attitude - probably the most 'bought-in' group
  • We have a chance with them and our TEs and RBs to be able to effectively run the ball

On Wide Receivers:

• We still have a ways to go in the receivers room, truthfully. But excited about the improvement we've made.
  • We've got to get some difference makers in.

On Robby Ashford:

• Yesterday may have been his best practice
  • He's a weapon that can be used in a lot of different ways
  • So many voices in today's world ... hope he makes the right decisions and continues to approach this the right way

I hope he handles it right and he did yesterday    The fact that CHF keeps referencing this statement in regards to Robby is a little concerning. He stated it twice in the press conference yesterday. I like how straightforward CHF is. Hopefully, Robby can handle this situation because who knows how the season is going to play out. Hugh had to play 4 QBs last year at Liberty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I hope he handles it right and he did yesterday    The fact that CHF keeps referencing this statement in regards to Robby is a little concerning. He stated it twice in the press conference yesterday. I like how straightforward CHF is. Hopefully, Robby can handle this situation because who knows how the season is going to play out. Hugh had to play 4 QBs last year at Liberty. 

It's up to Robby how he handles it. His teammates will be watching just as much as the coaches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This says less about concern for Robbie and more about the culture of today's society. The kids today want the easiest way to playing time and I can't blame them. Coaches have been leaving for decades and now we want the QB to be loyal. I want Robbie to stay but he has to do what's best for him. 

I think Hugh hit on something in this interview ... related to "hope he handles it right" ... there's more outside influences today than ever.  You don't think some one is already reaching out to RA and saying, "hey, come here and have a better chance to see the field, etc."? ... just a new world.

Also, historically, some have alluded to 'ego', etc., with Ashford.  So there's going to have to be some humbleness/team-first attitude required.  Really, this is no different than when others have faced this in the past ... hell, look at Kodi Burns and how he, of all folks, got converted to a WR and found a way to contribute for the good of the cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I think Hugh hit on something in this interview ... related to "hope he handles it right" ... there's more outside influences today than ever.  You don't think some one is already reaching out to RA and saying, "hey, come here and have a better chance to see the field, etc."? ... just a new world.

Also, historically, some have alluded to 'ego', etc., with Ashford.  So there's going to have to be some humbleness/team-first attitude required.  Really, this is no different than when others have faced this in the past ... hell, look at Kodi Burns and how he, of all folks, got converted to a WR and found a way to contribute for the good of the cause.

The major difference is that a coach didn't have to publicly have to make Kodi aware of maintaining a positive attitude and leadership on numerous occasions. Who knows how Kodi took it when he was informed but if he infuriated or contemplated leaving or quitting...the public didn't know. And we shouldn't know. Kodi presented himself well and he became a big key to providing leadership to the WRs and helpings us win a national championship. 

I'm glad to hear that Robby had a good practice despite the news getting out that he wasn't the starter. But the wording of CHF comes across as he is indeed speaking to all the QBs and specifically Robby. 

As a leader and a QB, you have to block out the outside noise. That's something Robby has struggled with. Thus, CHF appears to have made it a point to remind Robby of that and stay the course of improving. 

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

So many voices in today's world ... hope he makes the right decisions and continues to approach this the right way

This is telling.

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

"hey, come here and have a better chance to see the field, etc."?

Ashford transferred in from Oregon. With the new transfer rules, is he allowed to transfer a 2nd time?

Perhaps @ellitor can chime in. 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Ashford transferred in from Oregon. With the new transfer rules, is he allowed to transfer a 2nd time?

Only as a graduate without sitting a year. If I understand the new rule.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Who knows how Kodi took it when he was informed but if he infuriated or contemplated leaving or quitting...the public didn't know.

I recall hearing Kodi rallied the team after he was informed of his backup role.

44 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Only as a graduate without sitting a year. If I understand the new rule.

Which if correct, Ashford is stuck here until 2024 or until he graduates. He would be a Senior in 2025.

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

I recall hearing Kodi rallied the team after he was informed of his backup role.

Yeah, there seemed to be a good indication that he took the news well. Just pointing out that if there’s a chance that he didn’t at the time, the fans didn’t know because of how Kodi presented himself so well. Just using it as example of how he stayed focused and dedicated and was able to contribute. It can play out similar for Robby. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

@Viper Not without a waiver & getting the NCAA to pass one appears to be a good bit tougher than it used to be.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Viper Not without a waiver & getting the NCAA to pass one appears to be a good bit tougher than it used to be.

Yup. North Carolina’s best WR transferred twice (1st time to Kent St / 2nd time to NC), both prior to the rule change and even he was recently denied to participate for NC. The NC Governor has now gotten involved in the appeal with the NCAA.

So if they’re going to deny the eligibility of a 2nd transfer prior to the rule change, they damn sure will deny one now. That means Ashford is stuck at AU.

8 hours ago, RunInRed said:

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, RunInRed said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif