Coach Freeze being “practice jerk”

GreenTiger

11 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think so. Every generation thinks they are far less unadulterated and more stronger than the last. I can get into a debate that delves way more deeper in this than sports but I will defer. It all comes down to culture and success that speaks to that culture. 

Uh huh. My generation thought we had it WAY easier than generations before us, who died or had body parts blown off in Nam, Korea, WW2 etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Uh huh. My generation thought we had it WAY easier than generations before us, who died or had body parts blown off in Nam, Korea, WW2 etc.

Okay big guy . Just want to share a little secret with you as a military vet, that still is occurring . But I am not here to get in a pissing war about that. My point is people need to stop making a big deal about the littlest things. If coach freeze was just a friendly character to everyone that would cause pause just like if he was as just a jerk for no reason. I think we are so football starved we sit around and just find reasons to worry. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

This board is so weird.

Went from Simping for a guy who described himself as alpha and everyone envisioned him being Pat Dye hardo. 

Now we're terrified of a guy who describes himself as a "jerk" in a practice setting....after countless stories about how much the olayers love him and the culture he's setting

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay big guy . Just want to share a little secret with you as a military vet, that still is occurring . But I am not here to get in a pissing war about that. My point is people need to stop making a big deal about the littlest things. If coach freeze was just a friendly character to everyone that would cause pause just like if he was as just a jerk for no reason. I think we are so football starved we sit around and just find reasons to worry. 

He's probably not wrong. GenX is easily the most silver spoonfed spoiled generation who lived through two decades of extreme prosperity and near no war or massive depressions. They are soft and unsurprisingly turning to the generation of fundamentalist Karens

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The players seem to like Freeze. That means they know he is pushing them and they want it so they will get better. 

As long as you tell them they screwed up but then tell them what they can do to fix it that is called coaching. Don't  read to much into the word jerk.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This board is so weird.

Went from Simping for a guy who described himself as alpha and everyone envisioned him being Pat Dye hardo. 

Now we're terrified of a guy who describes himself as a "jerk" in a practice setting....after countless stories about how much the olayers love him and the culture he's setting

Hey! Thanks for the thought on the topic. And yeah….People are unique aren’t they! 

At least he’s an equal opportunity jerk because he also got onto the coaches it seems. I don’t see why anyone would think this is a problem. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

At least he’s an equal opportunity jerk because he also got onto the coaches it seems. I don’t see why anyone would think this is a problem. 

Check out the cons of Authoritarian leadership models and see what problems can exist 

• Facepalm 2

28 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Check out the cons of Authoritarian leadership models and see what problems can exist 

Now he’s an authoritarian? C’mon dude.

He is a football coach doing what football coaches do!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Jerk” has so many connotations, that’s it’s really easy to read into this the wrong way.  If you’ve ever led an organization through a “turn around” you always want to come in with very high expectations and standards - it’s easier to adjust down than to adjust up.  That’s the way I read this comment, and have used the “jerk” term similarly myself in the past.  It doesn’t necessarily mean he’s being disrespectful or inappropriate at all. 

As for being “authoritarian” that’s exactly what his job is as HC.  Sure there are things he can / should / does delegate, but that’s always a “nice to have” vs a “need to have”.  He was hired to make it “his” program, not a democracy.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

“Jerk” has so many connotations, that’s it’s really easy to read into this the wrong way.  If you’ve ever led an organization through a “turn around” you always want to come in with very high expectations and standards - it’s easier to adjust down than to adjust up.  That’s the way I read this comment, and have used the “jerk” term similarly myself in the past.  It doesn’t necessarily mean he’s being disrespectful or inappropriate at all. 

As for being “authoritarian” that’s exactly what his job is as HC.  Sure there are things he can / should / does delegate, but that’s always a “nice to have” vs a “need to have”.  He was hired to make it “his” program, not a democracy.  

Cool. Thanks! That is one perspective of the quote and what could be happening 

The players will almost always respond to this type of coaching IF..

they believe that the coach cares about them and he’s not just being a jerk for jerks sake.

I think CHF cares about them and I think they understand that.

But time will tell 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:07 AM, W.E.D said:

He's probably not wrong. GenX is easily the most silver spoonfed spoiled generation who lived through two decades of extreme prosperity and near no war or massive depressions. They are soft and unsurprisingly turning to the generation of fundamentalist Karens

First I’m not offended by your post.. it’s funny

Second many of my GenX buddies fought in wars and served with distinction.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:07 AM, W.E.D said:

Say what? Are you confusing Gen X with Gen Z?

2 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

First I’m not offended by your post.. it’s funny

Second many of my GenX buddies fought in wars and served with distinction.

Bingo. I am one of those that served….and like you not offended at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoAU said:

IMG_3706.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Say what? Are you confusing Gen X with Gen Z?

Put the dates up side by side.  The vast majority of that generation were middle age before the first real war hit.  Gen Z grew up with 9/11.  GenX lived essentially war free for the first decade+ of that generation's adulthood

11 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

you not offended at all.

When you have to convince others you're not offended and paint others falsely as such.....

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Put the dates up side by side.  The vast majority of that generation were middle age before the first real war hit.  Gen Z grew up with 9/11.  GenX lived essentially war free for the first decade+ of that generation's adulthood

When you have to convince others you're not offended and paint others falsely as such.....

Gen X  delt with Viet Nam for their first 13 8 years , then  invasion of Grenada,  Korean DMZ Conflict,  Cambodian Civil War, other small conflicts ,  and were still early 20's and  serving in the Gulf War.

The oldest Gen Z  was under 5  years old when 911 happened.  most were not even born yet.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

18 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Gen X  delt with Viet Nam for their first 13 years

We are talking adulthood.  Vietnam was over by the time the youngest was like 7 or 8.  Half the generation wasn't even born.

19 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

The oldest Gen Z  was under 5  years old when 911 happened.  most were not even born yet.

You need to check your math.  Gen z starts in ~81.  Oldest Gen Z was a Jr in college or possibly 3 years into enlistment.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We are talking adulthood.  Vietnam was over by the time the youngest was like 7 or 8.  Half the generation wasn't even born.

You need to check your math.  Gen z starts in ~81.  Oldest Gen Z was a Jr in college or possibly 3 years into enlistment.

Generation Z was born between 1995 and 2012, whereas Millennials were born between 1981 and 1996

The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines Generation Z as "the generation of people born in the LATE 1990s and early 2000s."

38 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Generation Z was born between 1995 and 2012, whereas Millennials were born between 1981 and 1996

The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines Generation Z as "the generation of people born in the LATE 1990s and early 2000s."

Yeah I meant Gen Y. Messed that up.

Every generation has its pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses. The sooner we realize that, and figure out how we compliment one another with our strengths, instead of tearing one another down by calling out each other's weaknesses, the sooner and better things will be. Whether we like it or not, we're all linked to one another, and we're all in the same boat together.

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 2