BRICS, anyone?

autigeremt

While everyone was distracted by the Trump news yesterday, six new countries - Argentina, Egypt, Iran, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates - agreed to join BRICS in January.

An estimated 40 more will join by the end of 2024.

IMG_2332.jpeg

12 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

While everyone was distracted by the Trump news yesterday, six new countries - Argentina, Egypt, Iran, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates - agreed to join BRICS in January.

An estimated 40 more will join by the end of 2024.

IMG_2332.jpeg

Africa is inevitable. South America is both surprising and concerning. There’s another west vs east Cold War coming. But the definition of west is getting squishy

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Africa is inevitable. South America is both surprising and concerning. There’s another west vs east Cold War coming. But the definition of west is getting squishy

Don't know if I'd call it "west v. east" given the geographical disparity. It has more to do with countries having established and advanced economies v. "emerging" economies - although one could argue China fits the former mold.

If there is a political threat, it lies in their desire to replace or circumvent the US dollar as the standard/reserve/exchange currency globally.  We may get our "carte blanche" (ability to freely print money) taken from us if they succeed. 

It will be interesting to see how this affects the tension between democratic and non-democratic regimes.

(As an aside, I read where the idea of such a coalition was boosted - if not sparked - by developed countries hoarding covid vaccines.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Don't know if I'd call it "west v. east" given the geographical disparity. It has more to do with countries having established and advanced economies v. "emerging" economies - although one could argue China fits the former mold.

If there is a political threat, it lies in their desire to replace or circumvent the US dollar as the standard/reserve/exchange currency globally.  We may get our "carte blanche" (ability to freely print money) taken from us if they succeed. 

It will be interesting to see how this affects the tension between democratic and non-democratic regimes.

(As an aside, I read where the idea of such a coalition was boosted - if not sparked - by developing countries hoarding covid vaccines.)

I do think the “west” is a much tighter coalition than BRICS , which is more of a trade convenience.  Where this actually goes is anyone’s guess - is it a fad or is it structure of things to come. Btw To your point  covid didn’t help plus europes colonial history, and a resentment that we criticize and punish any culture that doesn’t share our cultural values. 

• Like 1

Y'all give too much substance to BRICs.  Way too much. And India is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more sympathetic to the US and, we are not likely to let this one go by the wayside. Especially since China and India are lifelong enemies, and that isn't about to change in the next fifty years.

Peter Ziehan, for a fella that does demographics, actually gets it pretty well here.  For all you scaredy cats, I would take a listen to what he has to say.

• Like 1