Only Al.com would run this story about AU/Deion

LPTiger

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

So in the end, I think the major programs who did not take a chance on him WILL regret it when he does actually get to a top tier program. 

I hope he stays at Colorado. It’s a much tougher program than most others to raise to elite due to location, tradition, and money - but he can fix the  last one. Personally i don’t see him leaving - the rags to riches storyline is too perfect and his coaching legacy would be ridiculous  (plus some on the “top tier programs” list is too scary and ironic to think about)

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I hope he stays at Colorado. It’s a much tougher program than most others to raise to elite due to location, tradition, and money - but he can fix the  last one. Personally i don’t see him leaving - the rags to riches storyline is too perfect and his coaching legacy would be ridiculous  (plus some on the “top tier programs” list is too scary and ironic to think about)

I see him leaving if the right SEC school comes calling. People like to say “well I wanted to see him stay in the HBCU.” He did more than he needed to at the HBCU. What I ultimately want him to do is break the glass ceiling we see with minority coaches in the SEC. That’s why people are rooting for him. Players, analyst and fans alike is because he is doing it his way and he ultimately does want what’s best for the players. Don’t see how anyone can be upset with that. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Being bent did not make and does not make him an idiot lol, he has always been confident and believed in his abilities. If he is an idiot per se then so are all the AD’s and boosters who hire more experienced coaches only to see them crap the bed and runoff with million dollar buyouts. 

The same folks who say this about Deion be the same folks who wanted us to hire Lane Kiffin here for insane amounts of money. Why I really can’t take them serious. 

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Who said he walks on water or heal the sick? Lol. My point is , despite what FSU had to go on, he didn’t get hired there. You say well “he is Butthurt and an idiot for feeling that way.” I say he must not be an idiot because he has proven the naysayers wrong currently. The programs who did take a chance on him despite his limited experience has had tremendous success and I believe this will be repeated and carry on through Colorado. So in the end, I think the major programs who did not take a chance on him WILL regret it when he does actually get to a top tier program. 

Ok.  I'm not going to waste more time on this with you.  I think it's idiotic for a person with basically zero experience in a field to expect a top job in that field to be given to them.  You don't.  The End.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Being bent did not make and does not make him an idiot lol, he has always been confident and believed in his abilities. If he is an idiot per se then so are all the AD’s and boosters who hire more experienced coaches only to see them crap the bed and runoff with million dollar buyouts. 

There are plenty of ADs and boosters who are idiots.  Considering we had an AD who hired Bryan Harsin and boosters and trustees that signed off on it, we've been in that category.  But my bottom line is, it's fine to be confident.  But it's idiotic to think that next to nothing in terms of experience means you should be seriously considered for one of the top tier jobs in your field.  It may not make you an idiot across the board on everything, but in this situation you're being an idiot.  I don't know how to explain it better than that.  

Again, I'm happy for him.  I have nothing really against him.  But people don't get jobs based on employers being clairvoyant and just believing in you sans evidence.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

My point exactly. This guy calls him an idiot for proven what they said he wouldn’t be able to do, now mad about it. Look at the petty comments “he doesn’t walk on water.” Straight up butt hurt. That moxie is what makes Deion and what drives a lot of competitive people to overcome adversity and barriers.  Freaking Michael Jordan , the ultimate competitor, came up with these scenarios himself. But random posters know more than hall of fame athletes I suppose. 

Just one final note and I'll get back to basically ignoring you on this subject - I'm not butthurt.  Not one scintilla.  I'd be very excited if Deion were here.  My "walk on water" comment here was just to point out that based on what FSU knew or could even possibly be expected to know at the time they were hiring Norvell, they made the right decision.  And if Deion is butthurt about them not giving him the head coaching job back then, that's utterly ridiculous.  They would have to have been clairvoyant or looking at the football equivalent of Jesus himself, walking on water before your very eyes to think that FSU somehow made a poor choice in those circumstances.

Sports history is littered with Hall of Fame athletes who were bad head coaches.  Being an all-time great player in any sport does not automatically translate to being a great coach.  Being able to do it on the field of play does not always mean you are able to be an effective teacher of the sport to someone else.  It doesn't make you necessarily able to manage the administrative and political aspects of the job.  It doesn't automatically make you a great recruiter, or a great evaluator of talent, or a great evaluator of assistant coaches.

So Deion can have a chip on his shoulder about it all he wants and act like FSU means nothing to him anymore.  I'm sure - like Jordan who you mentioned - much of it is manufactured between his ears as a motivational tactic.  Jordan created all sorts of imagined and perceived slights and whatnot to prod him into killer mode.  But objectively, that's all it is - manufactured and imagined.  No upper tier Power 5 AD in his right mind would hire a coach with just two years of HS coaching experience and especially not one in the situation FSU was in at the time.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Just one final note and I'll get back to basically ignoring you on this subject - I'm not butthurt

Not Butthurt but can’t help yourself to response with a thesis. Got it. Got to love when randoms tell individuals who do this for a living how they should be have lol. 

• Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not Butthurt but can’t help yourself to response with a thesis. Got it. Got to love when randoms tell individuals who do this for a living how they should be have lol. 

Yeah, I have this annoying habit of being willing to try to get people to understand what I'm saying even if they aren't really receptive to any explanations that don't reaffirm what they are committed to believing.  

I assume good faith too much.  It's a mistake I won't repeat with you going forward.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There are plenty of ADs and boosters who are idiots.  Considering we had an AD who hired Bryan Harsin and boosters and trustees that signed off on it, we've been in that category.  But my bottom line is, it's fine to be confident.  But it's idiotic to think that next to nothing in terms of experience means you should be seriously considered for one of the top tier jobs in your field.  It may not make you an idiot across the board on everything, but in this situation you're being an idiot.  I don't know how to explain it better than that.  

Again, I'm happy for him.  I have nothing really against him.  But people don't get jobs based on employers being clairvoyant and just believing in you sans evidence.

Over confident, self deserving, brash, and other things maybe true but saying he is an idiot was a bit out of line that’s all I was saying. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:44 PM, gr82be said:

I was on the Deion bandwagon before we hired Freeze. I like Deion and am glad they won yesterday but his press conference yesterday could have been a bit classier. I get that he's endured a lot from the media regarding his roster turnover and how he handled that talking point but he could be more forgiving in his success. He loves to present his Christianity when he has an opportunity but yesterday he was  petty and sarcastic in his approach to a reporter's comment about how well his son played at QB. Time to move forward Deion and walk the Christian walk if you're going to talk it. I still like him, just don't care for that part of him. 

Do you feel that way about Saban? Kirby? Dabo?? he talks christianity, it's good when you do it, but bad when they do it.. Saban wrote the book on how to be an a$$ hole but it's ok?

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Over confident, self deserving, brash, and other things maybe true but saying he is an idiot was a bit out of line that’s all I was saying. 

To me, it's kinda like calling someone who lied about something a liar.  You could mean that they are being a liar in this instance, but not that they are a habitual, regular liar on all things.  You can be an idiot about a particular issue but not be an idiot generally speaking on everything.

I dunno, feels like splitting hairs to focus on that one term.  But to be clear, I'm not saying Deion is in general or on all things stupid or an idiot.  I do think he was/is being an idiot specifically about FSU not hiring him 3-4 years ago.

2 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Do you feel that way about Saban? Kirby? Dabo?? he talks christianity, it's good when you do it, but bad when they do it.. Saban wrote the book on how to be an a$$ hole but it's ok?

My post was clearly about Deion because the thread is about Deion. You can continue to be curious about the other coaches if you wish. 

On 9/4/2023 at 6:34 AM, bigbird said:

That's something nice always appreciated about Deion.  He says what he gonna do and then does it.  Brash? Sure.  But the great ones typically are. 

I remember Spurrier used to tell his opponent he was going to whip his a$$ and then his team would go out and do it. As they say, it ain't bragging if you can back it up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

To me, it's kinda like calling someone who lied about something a liar.  You could mean that they are being a liar in this instance, but not that they are a habitual, regular liar on all things.  You can be an idiot about a particular issue but not be an idiot generally speaking on everything.

I dunno, feels like splitting hairs to focus on that one term.  But to be clear, I'm not saying Deion is in general or on all things stupid or an idiot.  I do think he was/is being an idiot specifically about FSU not hiring him 3-4 years ago.

I see as what he said as more a tribute to the hbcu’s and not a criticism of fsu. This is being way over blown imo.

• Like 1

Both can be true.  CHF has done a fine job thus far, but Prime would have been a home run hire.  You may not like either his personality or his bravado but there is no questioning his leadership or marketing abilities.  CHF may win big at Auburn, but there is no doubt in my mind that Prime would have won big here.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I see as what he said as more a tribute to the hbcu’s and not a criticism of fsu. This is being way over blown imo.

I was going off what some said about Deion being mad at FSU for not hiring him when they hired Norvell.  And this thread isn't the first time I'd heard he felt that way.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I was going off what some said about Deion being mad at FSU for not hiring him when they hired Norvell.  And this thread isn't the first time I'd heard he felt that way.

He’s an epic alpha male, he probably was po’d. Rational or not, he’s  not used to hearing no.  It’s  how he’s wired. But I’ve never heard him publicly criticize fsu.

12 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Both can be true.  CHF has done a fine job thus far, but Prime would have been a home run hire.  You may not like either his personality or his bravado but there is no questioning his leadership or marketing abilities.  CHF may win big at Auburn, but there is no doubt in my mind that Prime would have won big here.

The issue is ego and not with Deion. Deion is one of those characters where he has enough influence that he cannot easily be controlled. He is going to say what is on his mind and unapologetically. We aren’t ready for someone like that around here. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

The issue is ego and not with Deion. Deion is one of those characters where he has enough influence that he cannot easily be controlled. He is going to say what is on his mind and unapologetically. We aren’t ready for someone like that around here. 

That's unfortunate.  The Turds used to feel the same way until little Nicky showed up.  

• Like 2

Just for the record, nobody likes the cocky/arrogant guy unless he belongs to you.  Back in the day everyone not a Gator fan hated the ole ball coach because he was kicking your ass and rubbing your nose in it.  But we all loved us some Tubbs when he was holding up fingers to the Turds.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah, I have this annoying habit of being willing to try to get people to understand what I'm saying even if they aren't really receptive to any explanations that don't reaffirm what they are committed to believing.  

I assume good faith too much.  It's a mistake I won't repeat with you going forward.

He fully understands what you’re saying, he just won’t admit it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Butthead said:

I don't think so. "Fit" is extremely important and I don't see Sanders being a fit at Auburn. Look at Terry Bowden: His record of 47-17-1 is remarkable, yet he didn't last and the only real explanation why he didn't last was he didn't fit here.

Bowden's next to last season at AU his team finished 10-3 and lost the SEC championship game by one point. The next year I was standing next to a guy who "knew things" at Tiger walk early in the season. I was told "If he doesn't win this game (Tennessee) he's gone". I don't think a coach with Bowden's record would have been shown the door if he was a good fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think so. "Fit" is extremely important and I don't see Sanders being a fit at Auburn. Look at Terry Bowden: His record of 47-17-1 is remarkable, yet he didn't last and the only real explanation why he didn't last was he didn't fit here.

Bowden's next to last season at AU his team finished 10-3 and lost the SEC championship game by one point. The next year I was standing next to a guy who "knew things" at Tiger walk early in the season. I was told "If he doesn't win this game (Tennessee) he's gone". I don't think a coach with Bowden's record would have been shown the door if he was a good fit.

Terry was a good game day coach who could not recruit.  Plus he was (allegedly) banging one of our biggest boosters daughter.  That is why he didn't "fit".

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

With NIL creating a even further dependence on boosters, I would suggest “fit” has become a pretty simple concept.