New BCS Formula

alexgreatau

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2140395

Former AD David Housel is part of the new panel that will replace the AP vote that the BCS had used since 1998.

Anthony Munoz, Terry Bradshaw, and Steve Leargant are just some of the other famour panelists who will vote in that poll.

I see a good mix of all former players and affiliates from every conference in America. The first BCS rankings should be very interesting.

Alex :sec::au:

What the heck does Terry Bradshaw know about college football. He can barely follow pro football and he is being paid to do that by Fox. The Harris Poll people just wanted a big splash with names, but those are not the type of people that sit down on a saturday and watch 20-30 games. Plus, the people who nominated Bradshaw and Munoz were required/allowed to remain anonymous. That doesn't inspire confidence or validity in my eyes.

They'd be better off using an obsessive fan with ESPN Gameplan or a production assistant at ESPN or FOXsports.

This poll is the same crap as the old ones...they are just putting a gigantic, shimmering bow on it to cover up the fact that it won't be any different.

:au:

What the heck does Terry Bradshaw know about college football.

176009[/snapback]

Terry Bradshaw knows a lot more about college football than Paul Gattis. If college football fans are forced to endure the wrath of the BCS, then I would much rather teams like Auburn get screwed by their own peers within the sport as opposed to getting screwed by a bunch of pencil pushers. You're absolutely right though, this system is not much better and you have to question the reason for the anonymity of those who selected types like Bradshaw to partake in this new poll. You still have the same old problem of bias, do you think David Housel would vote against Auburn or Anthony Munoz would vote against USC? Probably not.

What we have now are people trying to place a band-aid over a shrapnel wound in the arm. It will hold tenuously for a few moments but will ultimately falter while the wound continues to bleed.

Alex :sec::au:

What we have now are people trying to place a band-aid over a shrapnel wound in the arm. It will hold tenuously for a few moments but will ultimately falter while the wound continues to bleed.

I understand your analogy, but I'd go even futher. Bandaging an arm implies there was at least an arm to begin with. Div 1-A football has NEVER had an unbiased, uncontroversial poll nor a decent way to pick a MNC. What we need to accomplish is more like trying to clone a human being without even a stem cell to start with.

I will not be happy until we have a playoff system with at least four, but preferably eight berths, containing teams picked by W-L record, opponent's W-L record, and opponent's opponent's W-L record (thus factoring in true strength of schedule, not some idiot's opinion of SOS)--without the biases of human beings getting in the way.

Archived