Auburn @ Cal Score Predictions

Zeek

4 hours ago, AUnMS said:

27-17 Cal.  My score prediction isn't going to be popular but we travel across the three time zones with a new team.  Their HC is a defensive minded coach and our offense is still trying to figure stuff out.  UMass' running backs gashed our defense.

Cali is 2 hours behind us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

It’s a difference of two time zones, not three. 

He didn’t say ALL the way across, just that we cross them.  Technically he’s right.

When we play bama, we cross a time zone.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He didn’t say ALL the way across, just that we cross them.  Technically he’s right.

When we play bama, we cross a time zone.

Using that logic, every time we go to work, unless it’s perfectly north or south, we cross a time zone. Hell, every time I walk from my bedroom to my bathroom, I guess I cross a time zone.

The point of the conversation is…it’s the time of day you are used to waking up, which in this case, is two hours different, not three. Flying from Auburn to the Central/Mountain time border is completely insignificant when it comes to being used to waking up at a certain time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Yep it's going to seem odd to be watching the game so early in CDT but that early game got us on ESPN.

I’m confused. The game starts at 9:30 PM, CST. 

Edited by Mike4AU
  • Like 1

I remember a story from my teenage years about my favorite sports team and player (other than Auburn and Bo Jackson) - the Boston Celtics and Larry Bird.

It happened that Boston was flying somewhere to play a road game, and their flight underwent delay after delay.  They ended up staying in an airport all night, into the next day, expecting to get on a plane any moment.  Then they finally flew to their destination, so late that they had no time to go to the hotel.  They went directly to the arena, got dressed, and had to play the game. 

As the story goes, Bird addressed the sleep-deprived team just before tipoff, and said (paraphrasing) "We feel like crap.  Let's take it out on them (opponents)."  And boy did they ever.  The Celtics played lights out.  Just before the game started, Bird even told all the opposing team (paraphrasing) "Y'all can blame this ass whuppin' you're about to get on our late flight".

So I'm not worried about our players flying cross country to play this game late at night.  I trust Freeze & staff, and the players, to be fully ready mentally and physically come Saturday night.

Especially after Cal's running back dissed us so bad to the media.

41-15 AU.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

I remember a story from my teenage years about my favorite sports team and player (other than Auburn and Bo Jackson) - the Boston Celtics and Larry Bird.

It happened that Boston was flying somewhere to play a road game, and their flight underwent delay after delay.  They ended up staying in an airport all night, into the next day, expecting to get on a plane any moment.  Then they finally flew to their destination, so late that they had no time to go to the hotel.  They went directly to the arena, got dressed, and had to play the game. 

As the story goes, Bird addressed the sleep-deprived team just before tipoff, and said (paraphrasing) "We feel like crap.  Let's take it out on them (opponents)."  And boy did they ever.  The Celtics played lights out.  Just before the game started, Bird even told all the opposing team (paraphrasing) "Y'all can blame this ass whuppin' you're about to get on our late flight".

So I'm not worried about our players flying cross country to play this game late at night.  I trust Freeze & staff, and the players, to be fully ready mentally and physically come Saturday night.

Especially after Cal's running back dissed us so bad to the media.

41-15 AU.

bird was one of the best sh*t talkers in the game. i miss those days. hell i miss the detroit bad boys. i loved to watch lambiers dirty behind get into the other teams mind.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

most of the podcast folks seems to think we win  with few problems. cal has an iffy line and one guy said they do not have talent to match auburn. it is believed if we stop ott we should have a win. at two or three touchdown win.

59 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Right but Cal is getting the early ESPN slot there.  If it was a later game for them the game would likely be on some other network.

9:30PM CST has been as late as they’ve been scheduled so far this season on any network. 

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I’m confused. The game starts at 9:30 PM, CST. 

My mistake in my earlier post. I meant to say watching so late. The game starts at 7:30pm their time and 9:30pm our time (CDT),

Edited by Son of A Tiger
  • Like 2

41-28 Good Guys

Cal comes out hot but our defensive adjustments take care of business. And Cal gets one last TD in garbage time making the game look slightly closer than it is. 

I am leaning towards Cal 29 AU 27. I need to see our run D show up and stop this kid first. I think we do have better talent, but I am worried about our D and the game time start. Hope I’m wrong and that we show out big, but it’s a prediction not a hope. War Eagle 

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

TBH, I was not expecting us to have a lengthy argument about how many time zones we cross from AU to Cal.  🤷‍♂️

Me either. TV Networks have been saying “9PM Eastern / 6PM Pacific” since I was a kid. Hasn’t changed yet.

• Like 1

Cal alum/fan here.

Tough game to predict.  AU’s talent advantage may not be as much as you guys think.  It’s probably eliminated by the travel and start time.

I think this one comes down to traditional stuff - turnovers and special teams.  In a game where both teams overhauled the roster from the portal and only played 1 game…I just don’t know.

As for Cal…you simply cannot imagine how incompetent and horrible our prior OL and OC were.  Think of the single worst ones you’ve ever known…ours were WAY worse and we had two of them at the same time.  The new guys are legit but has enough time elapsed for them to really make a difference.  On D, we lost something like our top 3 deep across the entire DL to injury last year. They are all back and they are solid to good.  I’m not sure how we will rate compared to what you see in the SEC but we should be very solid on that side of the ball at all 3 levels of the D.  I don’t see anyone scoring 50 on us as some have predicted.  Anyway, the point is this - there are a lot of reason to believe this squad isn’t what the football world has seen from Cal the past few years.  Will it be enough to beat Auburn?  TBD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Viper said:

A game that’s already scheduled to go at least 12:30-1AM goes into multiple OTs?

hell-on-wheels-the-swede.gif

Yes. that is what I meant.

6 hours ago, Tequila4kapp said:

Cal alum/fan here.

Tough game to predict.  AU’s talent advantage may not be as much as you guys think.  It’s probably eliminated by the travel and start time.

I think this one comes down to traditional stuff - turnovers and special teams.  In a game where both teams overhauled the roster from the portal and only played 1 game…I just don’t know.

As for Cal…you simply cannot imagine how incompetent and horrible our prior OL and OC were.  Think of the single worst ones you’ve ever known…ours were WAY worse and we had two of them at the same time.  The new guys are legit but has enough time elapsed for them to really make a difference.  On D, we lost something like our top 3 deep across the entire DL to injury last year. They are all back and they are solid to good.  I’m not sure how we will rate compared to what you see in the SEC but we should be very solid on that side of the ball at all 3 levels of the D.  I don’t see anyone scoring 50 on us as some have predicted.  Anyway, the point is this - there are a lot of reason to believe this squad isn’t what the football world has seen from Cal the past few years.  Will it be enough to beat Auburn?  TBD

If a bunch of 18-24 year olds can play one game that starts are 7:30 PST then we have bigger problems than our Run D or talent level. When I was that age in the Army I could stay up drinking and playing video games all night and be ready to go for PT the next day and have a full day of work. I pretty much lived on 3-4 hours of sleep a night for like 12 years straight before it caught up to me. I know everybody is different but if one game impacts us to that extent I'm gonna have some questions.

• Like 1
  • Love 1