Pat Dye Field?

Bama Bo

I heard on the local sports talk radio show this morning that it is under consideration renaming the stadium Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Do any of you know if this is true? And if it is, what are yalls thoughts on it?

I heard on the local sports talk radio show this morning that it is under consideration renaming the stadium Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Do any of you know if this is true? And if it is, what are yalls thoughts on it?

176385[/snapback]

Where did you hear this?

I hear that there is a very quiet push for it now by a small number of CPD fans. I dont think it will happen. If it does, it wont be real soon.

Creez, I hope not.

He was only there for 12 years.

He never went XX-0.

He did not win a national championship.

His laxity, if not complicity, got us on probation.

I still don't like the fact that he is lurking around. (His showing up in the dressing room after the last game in 11-0 '93 was a jerk move.)

I will always admire what he did for Auburn. He was a hell of a motivator and discilpinarian and he knew football. His gutsyness is seldom matched. (Like resigning his Wyoming job to show he was ready for Auburn before he even interviewed.)

He destroyed the mistique of you-know-who for all time in a very short time after his arrival.

But we need to reserve such an honor for some later coach with a better record and more laurels. We may have that coach in office right now--we'll have to wait and see.

IF there are those who are working on such an alleged move, I hope to heck they fail.

176385[/snapback]

Where did you hear this?

I hear that there is a very quiet push for it now by a small number of CPD fans. I dont think it will happen. If it does, it wont be real soon.

176388[/snapback]

Sports Radio 740AM herein Montgomery. I come in late on the conversation, so I don't know where John Longshore and Barry McKnight got there info from. They were not saying that it was going to happen, just that it was under discussion among some of the "Higher Ups"

Creez, I hope not.

He was only there for 12 years.

He never went XX-0. 

He did not win a national championship. 

His laxity, if not complicity, got us on probation.

I still don't like the fact that he is lurking around. (His showing up in the dressing room after the last game in 11-0 '93 was a jerk move.)

I will always admire what he did for Auburn. He was a hell of a motivator and discilpinarian and he knew football.  His gutsyness is seldom matched.  (Like resigning his Wyoming job to show he was ready for Auburn before he even interviewed.)

He destroyed the mistique of you-know-who for all time in a very short time after his arrival.

But we need to reserve such an honor for some later coach with a better record and more laurels.  We may have that coach in office right now--we'll have to wait and see.

IF there are those who are working on such an alleged move, I hope to heck they fail.

176394[/snapback]

Took the words right out of my mouth. It seems that many have a short memory on why Coach Dye "retired". We have a man that just went undefeated, so this would be the worst timing in the world. Seems to be a group down on the plains that will do whatever they can to make CTT mad and run him off.

I respect the heck of of Dye for helping to put Auburn where it is now. He is an important figure in Auburn football history. However, isn't the athletic complex already named after him?

You can't name everything after him. Who knows? We might need to save same names for coaches of the future, or even the present.

Again, I have a lot of respect for Dye, even though he had his faults. We all do.

I don't see how people could watch Auburn's football program over the 80's and not thing Pat Dye was a great coach. He built Auburn football from the ashes to a program that was more feared and respected than CTT has been able to do, even with an undefeated season. (Not taking anything away from CTT.) Dye won 3 SEC championships in a row back in a day when Auburn had a much harder SEC schedule. (Tenn, Florida, Georgia and a real Alabama every year.)

The AU program would not be where it is today without Pat Dye. He leveled the playing field with UA and they know it. He brought them to Auburn. The only way that was accomplished was to equal and exceed them on the playing field. What he accomplished playing Tenn, GA, FL and UA each and every year would scared most coaches away. He brought us to national prominence. Sure we had some success with Sullivan and Beasley and Shug's teams but nothing like Pat Dye's team. Did he win a MNC? Maybe not but it can be argued that both the 83 and 88 teams were the best in the nation. He was a program builder. Should the field be named Pat Dye Field at Jordan Hare Stadium? ABSOLUTELY!!!

The AU program would not be where it is today without Pat Dye. He leveled the playing field with UA and they know it. He brought them to Auburn. The only way that was accomplished was to equal and exceed them on the playing field. What he accomplished playing Tenn, GA, FL and UA each and every year would scared most coaches away. He brought us to national prominence. Sure we had some success with Sullivan and Beasley and Shug's teams but nothing like Pat Dye's team.  Did he win a MNC? Maybe not but it can be argued that both the 83 and 88 teams were the best in the nation. He was a program builder. Should the field be named Pat Dye Field at Jordan Hare Stadium? ABSOLUTELY!!!

176435[/snapback]

Nobody has questioned what he accomplished at :au: . I think some miss the point is "how" he apparently accomplished it. Yes, he was a great coach and brought us back to a competitive level. But don't forget, he almost wiped all of that out when it was discovered how he ran the program without the integrity we all would have hoped for. He did leave the program when it was found out and he left it on probation! Aside from the season after that, where Terry Bowden took Dye's recruits to an undefeated season, the program almost kicked the bucket because of the probation, for a few years afterwards. For right nowCTT has brought the program back and as far as we know, he has done it with more integrity when it comes to recruiting then apparently Coach Dye did. Nobody can argue Dye's wins, but one can argue about his integrity on some of those wins and how he "retired". Why should we look past the reason he had an early and unplanned retirement just because he racked up all those wins? We are supposed to forget all that and just name the field after him?! It was the crowd that he runs around with that went behind CTT's back a couple of years ago. It is the same crowd that continues to try to undermine CTT now. I am sorry, but that crowd is more worried about themselves and their "good ole boy" system then they are about :au: ! Again, I am not saying Coach Dye did not do alot of great things for our program and I am sure he had the program's best interest at heart. I am sure he does what he thinks is best for :au: , but it is his way of thinking that I have issues with. He may be even blind to the fact to the integrity of the crowd that he runs around with. But the facts are still that he was basically forced to retire as the head coach and we were put on probation for things that happened under his watch. I have no problem naming something else after Coach Dye, but I believe the field is a little too much seeing how he had left the program as head coach. I think it a bit premature also seeing how we may have a coach that could possibly take us beyond the level that Dye did. This comes from a guy that two years ago did not believe CTT had that in him, but he may have proved me wrong.

I don't think Pat Dye did anything different from how the other Coaches handled their business back in the day. The SEC is a different place since the SEC had the string of probations in the 90's. I don't think you can blame Dye's program for doing what every other schools was doing at the time.

Let's also not forget that Bowden went 11-0 with Pat Dye's players who were bascially motivated to avenge Dye. The school had no choice to let Dye go otherwise he would still be coach at Auburn.

We have a man that just went undefeated, so this would be the worst timing in the world. Seems to be a group down on the plains that will do whatever they can to make CTT mad and run him off.

I had not thought about the CTT angle until you mentioned it, but I agree with you. I don't think we need to do anything to dampen the momentum CTT is building for our program. He puts on a good public face and says everything and everyone is honky-dory on the Plains, and I do believe we have the most harmonious situation we've had in a long time. But I can't help but think there must be times when Tuberville wishes the "ghost" of Pat Dye was not literally still walking around the Athletic Program.

CTT is building something marvelous at AU and I think spotlight should remain focused on him for another year or two while he shows that Auburn is staking a permanent claim to the zeneth of college football. After he has made believers of the remaining naysayers, and convinced pollsters to stop underestimating us, then there will be time to honor Pat Dye in a fitting way. Perhaps as part of a grand celebration for the all Auburn Tigers, past and present, after CTT brings home his first (universally recognized) MNC. [You know it's just around the corner.]

When the time comes for honoring CPD however (and I agree with honoring him in time), can't we find an alternative to turning the stadium into a whopping "Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium" ten-syllable mouthful?

I do not understand this thought process indicating that Dye accomplished his winning through running a bad/dirty program. Remember he had a player begging and pleading about needing help, how he and his family/wife were starving. I cannot remeber all details but I do not think recruiting was an issue. I believe overall he ran an up and up program. Think what you want but the powers to be in west Alabama knew they had to get rid of Dye or they would never be successful. And by the way the 93 team went 11 and 0 because they were excellent ball players not because they were avenging anyone. You can see what happened when if was seen that Tot could not recruit. His accomplishments should not be discounted because of how his career ended. If the administration and BOT would have had any backbone Dye would not have left.. I think it is wrong to infer that Dye ran a program without integrity.

I don't think Pat Dye did anything different from how the other Coaches handled their business back in the day.  The SEC is a different place since the SEC had the string of probations in the 90's.  I don't think you can blame Dye's program for doing what every other schools was doing at the time. 

Let's also not forget that Bowden went 11-0 with Pat Dye's players who were bascially motivated to avenge Dye.  The school had no choice to let Dye go otherwise he would still be coach at Auburn.

176445[/snapback]

So just because "everybody else" was doing it makes it okay? :no: Yes, Bowden went undefeated with Dye's players, but what is your point? Because of probation, the program suffered after that because we could not compete! That was Dye's fault, so how can we not blame him for that? BTW, the school did not let Dye go. Dye resigned as head football coach, but remained on the payroll of the university for some years as a consultant. The word "retire" when it comes to coach Dye is loosely used.

So just because "everybody else" was doing it makes it okay? :no:

Agreed. Just because everyone else bent the rules when and where it suited them does not make it right. Yes, it was a different time, but Auburn University is not and never will be FSU or Alabama. At Auburn, per our Creed, the rules are still the rules. CPD was a great coach, but things happened on his watch, and as head coach, those issues are his responsibility and he should be held accountable.

As I stated elsewhere, we owe CPD something... but we don't owe him everything.

How about "Fyfe Field @ Jordan Hare Stadium"? :au::thumbsup:

I don't think Pat Dye did anything different from how the other Coaches handled their business back in the day.  The SEC is a different place since the SEC had the string of probations in the 90's.  I don't think you can blame Dye's program for doing what every other schools was doing at the time. 

Let's also not forget that Bowden went 11-0 with Pat Dye's players who were bascially motivated to avenge Dye.  The school had no choice to let Dye go otherwise he would still be coach at Auburn.

176445[/snapback]

So just because "everybody else" was doing it makes it okay? :no: Yes, Bowden went undefeated with Dye's players, but what is your point? Because of probation, the program suffered after that because we could not compete! That was Dye's fault, so how can we not blame him for that? BTW, the school did not let Dye go. Dye resigned as head football coach, but remained on the payroll of the university for some years as a consultant. The word "retire" when it comes to coach Dye is loosely used.

176451[/snapback]

I beg to disagree. It was Dye's fault in the sense that he was HC but Blakely was the stupid one. The program didn't go down because of probation. It went down because of Tater Tot.

176445[/snapback]

176451[/snapback]

I beg to disagree. It was Dye's fault in the sense that he was HC but Blakely was the stupid one. The program didn't go down because of probation. It went down because of Tater Tot.

176465[/snapback]

As much as I would like to blame Bowden, that is harder to prove then the fact that probation is actually what hurt us. Less scholarships hurts period and that cames under an issue with Dye. I can bet that we lost alot more recruits because of the probation then because of anything Tater Tot did.

Dye was the head coach who either ignored what was going on or was not doing a good job in knowing what was going on. I think we all know that most head coaches know what their assistants are doing, but pretend like the don't. It is easier to deny it that way. Dye resigned with no fuss, so I guess we all can come to our on conclusions on what Dye knew and what he did not know. There is more then what was told in the press, thus the reason Dye resigned so easily. David knows what I am talking about and it will not be mentioned on this board, so don't ask. ;) Bottom line is that we left us on probation and why would you name a field after him with that hanging on him, much less do it right after your current coach just came off the best season of :au: history?

I like WarTim's suggestion. I think that is the best idea yet! WDE!!!

Well we could name one of our other fields after CTT.

How about "Tuberville Field at Jordan-Hare West?

With all props to Sloppy Tiger on ITAT.

20395copy2ju.jpg

This is a very interesting topic, so I guess I'll add my 2cents worth. I think Jenny said it best that "we owe Dye something but not everything." I very much appreciate what CPD did for the Auburn program but I feel the way he left the program should negate naming the field after him. Just the fact that Auburn was placed on probation for major violations under his guidance is my reasoning. I think he should be praised for his accomplishments but not naming the field after him. He brought the program out of the ashes of the CDB and made them a major power in the 80’s but I feel like he got a little complacent in his last few years. I look at the talent from the 1990, 1991, and 1992 teams and wonder how the managed only an 18-14-2 record. Has any of you seen the Auburn Legends video? I haven’t had a chance to watch it but I heard about some of his comments on the video. He talked as if the 1990 team was not really that good (preseason #1 in some publications) and that they were starting to turn the corner when he resigned. The guy I talked to said he was trying to set it up to appear as if the 1993 team would have been just as good had he stayed on. Maybe they would but I thought it was pretty egotistical to try and claim credit. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not taking up for Bowden. I pitched a fit the day I found out that he was hired. I’m glad he’s gone, but I did hate the way it ended.

Archived