Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

Just now, AUBwins said:

At least we have a clinching ALCS game to look forward to tonight! :)

Yeah we do!!!

The only thing that scares me is it's at home. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

We certainly have a talent issue.   But something else is "off" on the "offense."

Agree 1000%.    When it’s a good play call, it’s a holding penalty…when it’s an opportunity to recover a fumble(ole miss punt return) it’s a whiff on the ball.    When it’s a botched hold on a field goal on 4th down, instead of batting the ball down to get on the 20, AU intercepts it at the 5.   
just not smart thinking or football instincts.    I’m still scratching my head (and it sums up the year for me) but the 3rd and 1 after a 8 yard run by JH , and they run out Thorne and get an illegal substitution penalty to make it 3rd and 6 and then run a zone read run play with Thorne.   It’s this that makes me feel like no one knows what is going on.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Great question! 

This is where I'm struggling.  Okay, I get we are less talented, severely!  That doesn't mean you forget how to use the talent you do have. 

PT does best in a quick 3-step tempo game, we saw some of his accuracy on the last scoring drive. No matter the defense being played, PT was throwing dimes on the RPOs.   Where is any of that type of quick passing attack? 

Robbie needs to be a ZR, Short zone, rollout type QB.  He's best on the run. He's not good by any measure but he's still better on the run.  Where are the slides, sprint outs, boots where he has the option to run, placing the D in conflict.

We can be much better at putting our players in better positions. We have to. 

Rebuilds are hard and often ugly, but it's happening for a reason.  We didn't fire two mediocre coaches and instantly get better.  They were fired for a reason and we have to remedy that.  We are on step #14 of 1239 on our way to getting better. It's ugly, it's frustrating, it's inexplicable at times. That said, IMO, we're still in a better place moving forward than we've been in a long while. 

This morning the coaches woke, if they slept, and are trying to take step #15.  

The question we will eventually get to is what happens next yr at the QB position?  HG is apparently not gonna get a shot so he will probably portal out. Freeze can't lay another egg on offense next yr. This whole offense and the handling of it is mind boggling

• Like 1

The good news is we have 4 straight very winnable games coming up & you never know in The Iron Bowl.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Some of you really can’t see the talent deficit on the field? You don’t see the slow-footedness of our guys vs the opponents?\

Yeah, we see it. A team with low talent can run a basic offense. They can make high percentage throws, they can run the ball with some consistency, they can avoid procedure and other stupid penalties all of the time. We aren't the only team with a talent issue in the SEC and we aren't the worst case. We ARE a team with - right now - obvious poor on the field coaching. That's going to make it harder to bring in the players we need, it's going to cost more, it's going to make bringing in the best available transfers more difficult because other coaches are going to point at the chaos on the field and say "Is immediate playing time really enough?"

Freeze better bring in top classes on signing day because, so far, that's the only thing he's doing well. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

The good news is we have 4 straight very winnable games coming up & you never know in The Iron Bowl.

No reason we can’t take all 4, talent wise. But we will likely lose at least 1, due to our coach being disinterested in winning games this year.

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The question we will eventually get to is what happens next yr at the QB position? 

You'll see it be addressed in the portal 

I can easily see 2 of the 4 not being on the roster next year. 

1. Portal 

2. Hank 

3. Returner 

4. White (RS)

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

Yeah, we see it. A team with low talent can run a basic offense. They can make high percentage throws, they can run the ball with some consistency, they can avoid procedure and other stupid penalties all of the time. We aren't the only team with a talent issue in the SEC and we aren't the worst case. We ARE a team with - right now - obvious poor on the field coaching. That's going to make it harder to bring in the players we need, it's going to cost more, it's going to make bringing in the best available transfers more difficult because other coaches are going to point at the chaos on the field and say "Is immediate playing time really enough?"

Freeze better bring in top classes on signing day because, so far, that's the only thing he's doing well. 

This is 50/50 in coaching and talent problem.    For as many bad coaching decisions, there are equal amount of dumb plays by players.     Number 87 makes about 3 per game, in holding, blocking downfield on passing plays.   What about punt coverage?  Guys are taught when inside the 10 and guy signals for a fair catch, you run to the goal line and turn and find the ball to down it.  #25 runs up to the receiver and stands there, ball bounces right over his head and goes in the end zone.   It’s little things like this throughout the game that can’t be blamed solely on coaching and solely on players.   

The coaches are making mistakes too.   Subbing in Thorne for Robbie causing a substitution penalty on a 3rd and short is one of many.  

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

25 runs up to the receiver and stands there, ball bounces right over his head and goes in the end zone.

Champ was responsible for the PR and the gunners needed to fold behind. Even with a fair catch you need one in their face to make it more difficult and in case of a muff. 

Maybe it’s talent, maybe some coaching.. but even though we lost by 7, if felt like we were down by 4 scores.  Outside a couple of big plays ole miss gave up, we weren’t in that game at any point. On either side of the ball. Thats two games in a row. That’s what has sapped my enthusiasm. At least for this season. 

• Like 1

To summarize.  This is not the Freeze or Montgomery offense. Their offenses esp. Freezes is RPO based ran at warp speed fast. He doesn't feel like he can do that because of the stress it could cause AU defense because they are so thin. So, he chooses to try to bleed the clock and slow the game down. He thinks this gives a better chance to win. So, now he is faced with the choice to keep doing the same thing or run his offense at the risk of wearing out AU defense. It's similar to a pro style coach running a wishbone. IMO, he needs to run hurry up RPO and let the chips fall where they may as far as the defense is concerned. PT is catching alot of flack, some deserved. But this isn't the offense he was brought here to run.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiefChewacla said:

Maybe it’s talent, maybe some coaching.. but even though we lost by 7, if felt like we were down by 4 scores.  Outside a couple of big plays ole miss gave up, we weren’t in that game at any point. On either side of the ball. Thats two games in a row. That’s what has sapped my enthusiasm. At least for this season. 

It feels that way cause our offense is terrible 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

To summarize.  This is not the Freeze or Montgomery offense. Their offenses esp. Freezes is RPO based ran at warp speed fast. He doesn't feel like he can do that because of the stress it could cause AU defense because they are so thin. So, he chooses to try to bleed the clock and slow the game down. He thinks this gives a better chance to win. So, now he is faced with the choice to keep doing the same thing or run his offense at the risk of wearing out AU defense. It's similar to a pro style coach running a wishbone. IMO, he needs to run hurry up RPO and let the chips fall where they may as far as the defense is concerned. PT is catching alot of flack, some deserved. But this isn't the offense he was brought here to run.

The ironic thing about all of this is that the offense is catching the heat but it's the defensive depth situation thats causing Freeze to not run his offense. I encourage everyone to go watch Liberty or Ole Miss tape when Freeze was there.  It's nothing like what we are running right now.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Outside the lack of talent up front on offense, this is the biggest issue. It’s a tough call for CFH. I’d roll with what got you to this position and try to score points instead of saving the defense at this point. Hell, they get gassed when you go 3-0 with a slower offense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The ironic thing about all of this is that the offense is catching the heat but it's the defensive depth situation thats causing Freeze to not run his offense. I encourage everyone to go watch Liberty or Ole Miss tape when Freeze was there.  It's nothing like what we are running right now.

People don’t care about that. People want to be mad at someone and the easiest person to be mad at is the HC and QB. 

This subpar OL doesn’t help either. 

• Like 1

How would u guys feel if we were getting beat 42-35 or 35-31 and we were getting 400-500 total yards a game. I bet the taste wouldn't be as sour, even though the end result is the same. That's why I say go RPO warp speed and see what happens. When u look this inept on offense, the picture can look bleaker than it is

1 minute ago, woodford said:

People don’t care about that. People want to be mad at someone and the easiest person to be mad at is the HC and QB. 

This subpar OL doesn’t help either. 

To be honest,  Hugh is the one making the decision  not to run his offense.  He may need to re evaluate as he said in his press conference 

For those that didn’t hear Freeze’s post-game interview on the Auburn Sports Network, he took a lot of responsibility and said it was coaching and that he needed to do better and takes that personally.  I’m glad he is recognizing it so we can move forward.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Are you sure about that? So he’s intentionally not running his offense, sucking at the offense he is running, and has less time of possession on the season versus our opponents so our defense is on the field more. Plus the offense’s ineptness is demoralizing to our defense. How is that helping our defense? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Are you sure about that? So he’s intentionally not running his offense, sucking at the offense he is running, and has less time of possession on the season versus our opponents so our defense is on the field more. Plus the offense’s ineptness is demoralizing to our defense. How is that helping our defense? 

I'm 100% sure. He has stated he is afraid to run fast  cause of depth issues on D. Like I posted, don't take my word for it. Go watch his Liberty and Ole Miss offenses and see if it looks the same as what he is running this yr. Now, why he is doing that is up for debate. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

You nailed it!!

7 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Are you sure about that?

He did say that in his post-game interview that he wants to run fast, and maybe he should, but is slowing down to give his defense a break. 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He did say that in his post-game interview that he wants to run fast, and maybe he should, but is slowing down to give his defense a break. 

This is the perfect week to change that. Run warp speed RPO. Miss St is terrible on offense esp if Roger's don't play. He shouldn't have to worry about the D getting gassed this week

• Like 1

Who is Hank?

I don’t think there is any question that 1 or 2 of the QBs on the team won’t be here next season. Freeze will have to to the portal for another potential starter.