Thoughts thus far on the team

BHDAU1

What happened to Arkansas? I looked them up in the NET to see if they'd be a quad 1 game, and they're 86th? Wasn't Musselman supposed to have them good this year? 

I say this, and somehow he'll get them to the Sweet 16 AGAIN...

11 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

What happened to Arkansas? I looked them up in the NET to see if they'd be a quad 1 game, and they're 86th? Wasn't Musselman supposed to have them good this year? 

I say this, and somehow he'll get them to the Sweet 16 AGAIN...

They lost to unc Greensboro at home. Only bad loss I see from them on their schedule. They beat Duke at home. Absolutely walloped Stanford in the Bahamas who just blasted Arizona.

Edited by GwillMac6

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They lost to unc Greensboro at home. Only bad loss I see from them on their schedule. They beat Duke at home. Absolutely walloped Stanford in the Bahamas who just blasted Arizona.

I forgot about that Duke win. Thanks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I forgot about that Duke win. Thanks.

I’m shocked they are that low. Muss always *knocks on wood* starts slow in conference play too. Hopefully that trend continues Saturday… def don’t feel good about it. Our only true road game was a disaster in terms of offensive production…

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m shocked they are that low. Muss always *knocks on wood* starts slow in conference play too. Hopefully that trend continues Saturday… def don’t feel good about it. Our only true road game was a disaster in terms of offensive production…

Us going on the road always makes me nervous. This isn't a bad time to catch the hogs if we have to play them at Bud Walton. I'm excited to see if the team can start taking the next step.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Us going on the road always makes me nervous. This isn't a bad time to catch the hogs if we have to play them at Bud Walton. I'm excited to see if the team can start taking the next step.

I always expect to lose on the road in basketball unless we are just playing a truly awful team like last years South Carolina team. College basketball is the hardest sport out there to win on the road.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I always expect to lose on the road in basketball unless we are just playing a truly awful team like last years South Carolina team. College basketball is the hardest sport out there to win on the road.

Win your home games and half the away games and you're gonna be a top 4 seed. That took me forever to get used to when I first got into the sport.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have guards with size.  I like our chances. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I think a key player a pg has been cleared that wasn't  available earlier. Hopefully hasn't developed chemistry yet.

All SEC teams appear to be solid this year so the road games will be real tough.

It’s like Bruce is directly talking to us fans and knew exactly what needed to be said! 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

All SEC teams appear to be solid this year so the road games will be real tough.

Yep. Although Auburn has a better overall squad than Arkansas, I expect Arkansas to win Saturday because the game is on their court

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Yep. Although Auburn has a better overall squad than Arkansas, I expect Arkansas to win Saturday because the game is on their court

I get the sentiment but I always expect every Auburn team that takes the court/field/pitch/pool/corral(?) to win.  It sets me up for heartache at times but if you expect your team to lose, why bother?  I get just as much joy from wins as you do, I expect.  Maybe also a little more disappointment but it passes quickly as I enter old age. 

• Like 2

Frankly, I do not like CBP popping up and spouting *We are going to LOSE games." I don't want that kind of attitude.

I want the attitude going into SEC play of "We are going to WIN EVERY GAME" and "We have the team, we have the scheme, we will win!"

Okay, so maybe Auburn doesn't win every game. But I want the team (and CBP) going into every single game thinking and proclaiming to his players and to the fans "we will win this game."

Every Game! I want to hear fro CBP and every player "We will win this game!"

Edited by AURex
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, AURex said:

Frankly, I do not like CBP popping up and spouting *We are going to LOSE games." I don't want that kind of attitude.

I want the attitude going into SEC play of "We are going to WIN EVERY GAME" and "We have the team, we have the scheme, we will win!"

Okay, so maybe Auburn doesn't win every game. But I want the team (and CBP) going into every single game thinking and proclaiming to his players and to the fans "we will win this game."

Preach. 

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Go listen to the pregame speeches and thats what you'll hear. I think he was talking to the fans through the media more than his team. We've looked really good the last 6 or so games and have been blowing people out. Pearl knows thats not going to be the reality for the rest of the season and he wants to remind the fans of that in case we have a rough stretch. One thing coach knows is how to manage people. I think he is actually pretty high on this team and their potential. You could tell it after the Baylor lose. He expected to win that game and was sorely disappointed when we didn't. About as down after a lose as I have seen the man. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

More chances for Quad 1 wins. We’ve been hurt in a few tournaments because we didn’t have enough Quad 1 games. Anyone in the top 75 is a quad 1 win if you beat them on the road. 

13 hours ago, AURex said:

I understand this mentality and I expect BP is telling his team that.

But road wins are gonna be tough this year. They are every year but SEC looks deep. Like, this Arkansas team can lose 5 games before conference play but beat Duke at home. And I suspect at home we will beat some good teams, too. Looking at you Kentucky.

Does it seem like we get Kentucky at home alot the last few years?

I appreciate BP and his candor and low key approach. I agree that it’s probably more directed at fans and not a mentality he is trying to instill 

Yes, Arkansas on their home floor is going to be a really tough game. They have a couple of really remarkable wins already this season at home. They also have some real weaknesses, including being totally inept defending the 3. So the game may depend on whether Auburn is making 3s (as we have been lately) or throwing up rocks like ...... I want to forget that game.

And I understand CBP wanting to make sure everyone understands that this game will be really hard fought -- which it will be.

I'd just like more positivity -- we have the talent, the depth, the strategy. We will go into this gamer prepared. So we are positioned to win!

Edited by AURex

Great start to conference play!  32-pt mov at Arky -- who saw that coming?  Quality depth & relentless D for the win!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Great start to conference play!  32-pt mov at Arky -- who saw that coming?  Quality depth & relentless D for the win!  

I thought we had a great chance to win on the road but I wouldn’t have bet on the Tigers -31-1/2.  

2 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

I thought we had a great chance to win on the road but I wouldn’t have bet on the Tigers -31-1/2.  

Exactly.  After all the previous blowout wins, you had to wonder how they'd respond to a legit SEC opponent in a close game.  And it definitely was close in the beginning and most of the 1st half.  But as soon as AU opened up a 10-pt lead, they never let up and it just snowballed from there.  Arky was cold shooting from the field but that was also in response to the AU defense.  I'm hoping this win gives them confidence to play in tight games in the future.  

• Like 2

Wow, this team is so F-ing solid in about every respect that matters isn't it!  This Auburn team goes from beating Arkansas by the largest point margin in the ENTIRE history of their Bud Walton arena, to a game where then had a real "gut-check" win in a physical battle where the only guy on Auburn's team shooting well was J. Williams.  The difference between this Auburn team and some others that might have been just as talented in years past is the ridiculous depth on the bench and the RELENTLESS EFFORT that all the players expend for every minute they are on the court. They had stretches where they were committing totally unforced turnovers and missing point-blank easy shots, but made up for it completely on the defensive side.  Baker-M was having a nightmare game for most of his minutes, turning the ball over several times in a handful of possessions, fouling at the wrong time, and missing everything from free throws to 3 pointer to lay-ups.  Despite the poor play, he stuck with it and played as hard as he could on defense and redeemed himself by the end of the game with his effort.  In the last 10 mins of the 2nd half he was dialed-in defensively, causing A&M to make several mistakes and turn the ball over, along with altering shots in the paint with his length and shot-blocking skills.

If you have read this thread from the start, you will notice that a lot of people are recognizing the total transformation of Williams that has occurred starting right after the App State loss in the Indiana game.  He went from being thought of as a "bust" by myself and many others to having 8 straight games where he has had a BIG impact on the game!  His defense is superb, he has active hands, does well at playing tight to his man without fouling, and is adept at driving his man into help when needed.  His offense is exponentially better than prior to the loss this season, going all the way back thru the last two years.  Frankly, he went from being a totally unreliable and streaky shooter, with little to no visible self-confidence on the court, to seemingly one of just a couple guys on the team that is getting his shots/offense and scoring points throughout the game regardless of who is guarding him or if he is doubled.  We can be pretty damn sure that these last 4 or 5 opponents game-planned specifically for him, and have been totally unable to slow him down at all.  When they do occasionally stop him from driving to the basket or from getting an open shot, he is doing fan-******-tastic passing the ball to the right guys and getting assists.  His passes are crisp, accurate, and well-timed.  His transformation has also included a great improvement in his foul shooting.  IMO, he is one of just a few guys on the team that I want handling the ball in the last minutes of a close game and taking the foul shots when the opponent is fouling as fast as possible to try and climb back into the game.  

This team ABSOLUTELY has the skill, talent, togetherness, confidence, and intelligence to win the SEC regular season crown, the SEC tourney title, or go deep in the NCAA tourney if they keep playing as a team and with maximum effort.  I would even go as far as saying this team has the potential to be even better than Auburn's Final Four team from 2018-2019.  Its a different kind of team for sure, but one that is built to win games even when their shooting is poor for long stretches.  The '19 team could absolutely blow people out and demoralize them hitting 3 point shots in bunches, but if those 3's were not falling it was incredibly hard for them to generate offense.  

• Like 2